If (via modding) You Could Replace the Empire with a Different Faction, Which Would you Choose?

Users who are viewing this thread

stevepine

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Some people won't even like the basis of this question.

If that's you... then ok. Please go and have a nice afternoon. lol

But, lots of us see the Empire as very lack lustre and a bit of a boring group of factions. Now, of course, they could be tweaked and improved to give more identity to each of the 3 empire factions ... BUT what if, though the modding community, we actually replace the Empire factions ?

Who could they realistically be replaced with? Who might actually fit well into this Calradian World? (So no orcs or elves etc...)

Last edited:
I still want the empire, but in 3 different styles. The traditionell one should be look like the well known roman empire with a lot of statues, big gods etc, the one with the spouse of the old emperor should look like the byzantine empire (like actually in the game) and the third one, i wish me more like a rebellion of slaves, gladiators and the people which was dissatisfied with the old ruler and fight for freedom or something and should have a mix of both of the other empires, because its more like an unification of all classes

Could they be better? Yes. Are they worse than the other factions? Not in my opinion. So to me it would make no sense to replace them, especially with something that doesn't fit with the other factions. It would be nice if each empire factions had more of an identity, but it's not really feasible in the current version. Could be done if some of the scrapped features made it into the game (senate, more in depth policies etc.). With the structure we have the most we can do is to give them slightly different units or make their generals wear different armour.

If I had to replace native factions, I'd replace them along with the entire map for a historical setting. But we'll have to wait for the game to become a bit more stable before we get high quality total conversion mods like 1257 AD.

I still want the empire, but in 3 different styles. The traditionell one should be look like the well known roman empire with a lot of statues, big gods etc, the one with the spouse of the old emperor should look like the byzantine empire (like actually in the game) and the third one, i wish me more like a rebellion of slaves, gladiators and the people which was dissatisfied with the old ruler and fight for freedom or something and should have a mix of both of the other empires, because its more like an unification of all classes
I would also like this....

I like the way the imperial civil war is handled, 3 factions representing monarchy, oligarchy and dictatorship.

The split is recent so it makes sense they don't have many differences besides political, if the devs hadn't axed the more indepth political system their biggest differences would be in laws and traditions like was found in the cutting room floor of the game.

I would be glad if they had maybe an individual noble tree for each imperial faction to make them a bit more different too but it's no big deal.

Don't think i would like any replaced but maybe make them smaller to add one or two more factions to the game would be cool, this could also be achieved by splitting the other bigger factions like and independent duchy in Vlandia that didn't bowed to Derthert, Civil war in Sturgia or the Aserai lands to make them smaller (and more able to focus their armies on one side of the map) things like that.

Last edited:
I think a split empire is a good idea, no need to replace them. i'd rather see new factions added alongside them, but something more unique like a faction of deserters / bandits.

Some people won't even like the basis of this question.

If that's you... then ok. Please go and have a nice afternoon. lol

But, lots of us see the Empire as very lack lustre and a bit of a boring group of factions. Now, of course, they could be tweaked and improved to give more identity to each of the 3 empire factions ... BUT what if, though the modding community, we actually replace the Empire factions ?

Who could they realistically be replaced with? Who might actually fit well into this Calradian World? (So no orcs or elves etc...)

I don't think the Empire is boring, I just think that having 3 factions of Empire is boring.

Honestly if I had my wish, I would like to see Sturgia separated into two cultures instead of being a mis-mosh of Viking and Novgorod and failing to look like either. I would mod current Sturgia to be Viking (Nord) only and then convert the existing Norther Empire to be full on Novgorod Republic.

Then with the two remaining Empire Factions, I would probably keep them but completely separate their troop tree. I would probably go for a Legion of the Betrayed style for the Western Empire and keep what we have for the Southern Empire. I mean a two faction Civil War feels more realistic and it would be kind of a Old Guard vs New Guard type of rivalry.

Of course since there is more room on the map to the South and East, I would also like to see two new factions. Maybe something Egyptian or African inspired in the deep South with a Black race of people for cultural diversity. Also to the South East, I think I would like to see a faction based on China which would add in a strong Asian cultural influence.

Anyway, that would probably be my ideal mod faction layout.

I mean a two faction Civil War feels more realistic and it would be kind of a Old Guard vs New Guard type of rivalry.
The ideas are cool and all but the imperial civil war is completely realistic and based on the crisis of the third century which was a 3 way civil war between the Roman empire, the Gallic empire and the Palmyrene empire.

Map_of_Ancient_Rome_271_AD.svg

The Empire factions should be replaced with the Chinese Three Kingdoms who should only speak Chinese. You'll need to learn Chinese to choose the correct dialog option that is not a terrible insult about eating dogs and cats.

On a more serious note thanks to those of you with suggestions.

I would love to see a Barbarian faction, imagine the weapons and the armour. Would be amazing.

As for those of you who are advocating keeping the Empire, as I said at the initial post, this thread is really for suggesting alternatives.

If you like the Empire factions and want them to stay ..... then this isn't really the thread for you.

On a more serious note thanks to those of you with suggestions.

I would love to see a Barbarian faction, imagine the weapons and the armour. Would be amazing.

As for those of you who are advocating keeping the Empire, as I said at the initial post, this thread is really for suggesting alternatives.

If you like the Empire factions and want them to stay ..... then this isn't really the thread for you.
Well hell I just spent like a hour finding a bunch of pictures for you for various cultures then accidently closed my browser. Anyway here is the post with pictures. Going for distinctive cultures, with distinctive looks and feels, that don't already exist in the game.

Chinese - Super Surprised there isn't already a faction based on this culture. Armor and weapons both drop dead gorgeous and aside from a few weapons, complete dissimilar to anything else already in the game. Very distinctive look a feel to the culture as well.

Persian - There are some very distinctive armors, helms and weapons in the Persian empire especially if you want to go back a bit and grab some of the old armors for the visual effects. Even armors and some weapons contemporary to the game setting can be very distinctives.

Turkish - Kind of surprised that a game designed in Turkey doesn't have a Turkish faction but Turkey also had some very distinctive armors and weapons contemporary to the game setting.

The only thing about these factions is that you would need to put a ton of work into creating the artwork for the arms and armors to be added in the game but it would be absolute amazing to see them and all their glory added into the game in so fashion as a mod.

Edit: Oh and I would really like to see Novgord split from Sturgia so again absolutely a candidate for the Northern Empire.

If you are looking to further consolize the game, change the factions to Hollywood Romans, Hollywood Vikings and, dunno, Marvel's Avengers? Add zombies as bandit troops.
This will make the most people happy and utilitarians everywhere will like you.

Back
Top Bottom