If ur an avid bannerlord comp player, how into martial arts r u IRL?

How into martial arts are you IRL

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I can't really say I'm a "comp" player nor currently play Bannerlord MP, but I love M&B combat and am pretty into martial arts, and train in boxing on an almost daily basis and have done so for a fair bit. I find that there are some similarities in the overall dynamic of the two artforms, boxing and M&B. I've done a little of Longsword fencing but most of my knowledge, and especially experience and skill, are in boxing, (I'm not anything impressive though) and fencing and Boxing both have very, very similar dynamics and principles, both essentially being striking arts.

M&B is certainly not "proper" compared to something like HEMA artforms, but for a videogame, it hits pretty close, particularly with the speed, little mistakes potentially costing dearly and able to be exploited, and the massive importance of range and footwork and the subtle aspects to those. Stuff like Chivalry and Mordhau is too slow and exaggerated to feel very real. M&B feels much faster in my opinion. Speed and accuracy is what matters in any striking art, less so meaty power. In addition, the absolute ridiculous skill ceiling and learning curve of M&B combat feels similar to any irl martial art, you could train for 30 years in one thing, be it Wrestling, Boxing, Judo, BJJ, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, whatever, and still have massive room for improvement.

On the surface level M&B is pretty simple, you have four attack directions, four blocks, and a weird, step-less front kick. Boxing also looks simple on its surface level, you have four main types of strikes, (jab, cross, hooks, uppercuts) can block them, parry them, slip them, simply pull back or step away from, or weave under them. But both go unbelievably deep compared to what this apparent simplicity would deceive. It's like an onion, you'll peel one layer, thinking you start having it down, only to discover so many more levels.

So mainly, in my opinion at least, M&B combat is realistic with the overall dynamic and principles, not so much the actual movements. Higher-level Warband dueling may look janky, for instance, but damn if it doesn't feel good and realistic to be in. Some of the footwork that you would do in M&B is pretty similar to what you would/could do in Boxing. That's mainly why I've loved M&B combat so much, it's realism, massive fun, and towering skill-ceiling. Too bad both Warband and Bannerlord are kinda dead, one because of age, the other due to TW's incompetence with the MP.

Something that has always fascinated me is the correlation between footwork in Warband and in sports such as MMA or kickboxing. I have done both MMA and kickboxing for several years and can say there really is a lot of correlation. In my opinion this becomes especially evident once you get to higher levels of awareness such as baiting people to strike and then countering with good footwork, precision and timing. It's pretty cool to see how some of the strategies in Warband are actually used in sports too. Anyways, to answer the question. I did MMA in the past and occasionaly take kickboxing classes these days.

I can't really say I'm a "comp" player nor currently play Bannerlord MP, but I love M&B combat and am pretty into martial arts, and train in boxing on an almost daily basis and have done so for a fair bit. I find that there are some similarities in the overall dynamic of the two artforms, boxing and M&B. I've done a little of Longsword fencing but most of my knowledge, and especially experience and skill, are in boxing, (I'm not anything impressive though) and fencing and Boxing both have very, very similar dynamics and principles, both essentially being striking arts.

M&B is certainly not "proper" compared to something like HEMA artforms, but for a videogame, it hits pretty close, particularly with the speed, little mistakes potentially costing dearly and able to be exploited, and the massive importance of range and footwork and the subtle aspects to those. Stuff like Chivalry and Mordhau is too slow and exaggerated to feel very real. M&B feels much faster in my opinion. Speed and accuracy is what matters in any striking art, less so meaty power. In addition, the absolute ridiculous skill ceiling and learning curve of M&B combat feels similar to any irl martial art, you could train for 30 years in one thing, be it Wrestling, Boxing, Judo, BJJ, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, whatever, and still have massive room for improvement.

On the surface level M&B is pretty simple, you have four attack directions, four blocks, and a weird, step-less front kick. Boxing also looks simple on its surface level, you have four main types of strikes, (jab, cross, hooks, uppercuts) can block them, parry them, slip them, simply pull back or step away from, or weave under them. But both go unbelievably deep compared to what this apparent simplicity would deceive. It's like an onion, you'll peel one layer, thinking you start having it down, only to discover so many more levels.

So mainly, in my opinion at least, M&B combat is realistic with the overall dynamic and principles, not so much the actual movements. Higher-level Warband dueling may look janky, for instance, but damn if it doesn't feel good and realistic to be in. Some of the footwork that you would do in M&B is pretty similar to what you would/could do in Boxing. That's mainly why I've loved M&B combat so much, it's realism, massive fun, and towering skill-ceiling. Too bad both Warband and Bannerlord are kinda dead, one because of age, the other due to TW's incompetence with the MP.
Very interesting take thanks

The results are pretty cool. Of 13 responders only 3 had no interest whatsoever and 2/13 do martial arts for money. I thought there would be a connection but it seems pretty strongly linked (there might beresponse bias)

EdhhK12UEAAvEeJ
Mount and Blade is a man's game.

There's no reason why this game would attract people who like to watch sweaty men in shorts, unless they also hit each other with sticks of various size and girth.
I'd disagree. It's not inconceivable that many, even a majority, of people who play this game and like its combat would also have an interest in at the very least something like HEMA. And if someone finds HEMA interesting, they probably find other martial arts at least mildly interesting. You won't find a majority anywhere who actually train other than a gym concerned with combat sports, but most M&B players probably have a slight interest, and therefore, probably a higher percentage who'd watch something like MMA or Boxing than the general population.

I'd disagree. It's not inconceivable that many, even a majority, of people who play this game and like its combat would also have an interest in at the very least something like HEMA. And if someone finds HEMA interesting, they probably find other martial arts at least mildly interesting. You won't find a majority anywhere who actually train other than a gym concerned with combat sports, but most M&B players probably have a slight interest, and therefore, probably a higher percentage who'd watch something like MMA or Boxing than the general population.
HEMA is one thing that's really close, but MMA? That's just something for working class kids in general.

HEMA is one thing that's really close, but MMA? That's just something for working class kids in general.
The two aren't as different as people often believe. HEMA is all-encompassing, it is not just with longswords, and also deals with empty-handed fighting, predominantly wrestling. Fighting with edged weapons is pretty similar in many ways to fighting without. I'd think that there would still be a stronger correlation with cross-interest than you would find in the general population, but perhaps not an overly massive correlation.

I used to box when i was younger and currently looking into BJJ. I love M&B because its the closest thing you can get to video game martial arts! The skill ceiling in dueling is very high and has alot of similarities to real martial arts imo :grin:

Back
Top Bottom