SP - General If Khuzait is Mongol-inspired, chainmail is unnatural.

Users who are viewing this thread

omo

Regular
Currently, some of the Khuzait culture's armor includes a chainmail armor and helmet, but this is very unnatural if their culture is referring to Mongol.
To the best of my knowledge, they have never seen any material wearing chainmail.
They generally did not use chainmail at all, but were leather, fur or metal lamellas. (At least when the Mongols moved into Europe.)
So my suggestion is to move all of the armor, including Khuzait's chainmail, to Aserai and Sturgia and add more lamellar armor and helmets instead.

:Reference image
cf28a95ba911207273fc039c725190fe.jpg
tumblr_oyc3fnTCvD1rwjpnyo1_1280.jpg
d9tqs7g-edb9c75f-4e3e-4851-bd5d-d6f4a36524f1.jpg
4bd186f2be70eb3ee111833a4c18003e.jpg

AFAIK it's very rare for a Khuzait armor to be chain in the game, and couple of the helmets and armors are already transfered to Sturgia, perhaps in the game files are still under the Khuzait culture, but i can't recall a Khuzait culture troop using them...
Share some in-game pics if you can....

Inappropriate behavior
To the best of my knowledge..

The Khuzait are inspired mainly by the Oghuz (aka southwestern turkic groups) and Kipchak (aka northwestern) Turkic nomad confederations, say the Seljuks, Khazars or Cuman-Kipchaks. All of whom used mail and especially plated mail extensively.

Sick of every single person on the forums associate the steppes and nomads with the Mongols e-ve-ry ****ing time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thougt Khuzait were inspired by the huns. Would bether fit the timeframe at least.
The huns seem to be a bit too old.

perhaps in the game files are still under the Khuzait culture, but i can't recall a Khuzait culture troop using them...
Khuzait Heavy Lancer still uses gold lamellar armor and a vendel helmet.

The Khuzait are inspired mainly by the Oghuz (aka southwestern turkic groups) and Kipchak (aka northwestern) Turkic nomad confederations, say the Seljuks, Khazars or Cuman-Kipchaks. All of whom used mail and especially plated mail extensively.

Sick of every single person on the forums associate the steppes and nomads with the Mongols e-ve-ry ****ing time.
Thanks for teaching me to be ignorant. I could understand why I felt uncomfortable.
Mongolia is different from Central Asian groups like Kipchak and and the Seljuks.
TW lumped them together and that's why it made me feel different.
They mention on the Dev blog that they were inspired by these peoples as a whole, so that seems to be my problem, even if I find it unnatural.
I should be able to fix it with a mod instead of asking for an official one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Khuzait Heavy Lancer still uses gold lamellar armor and a vendel helmet.
Yes, the lamellar, there's no problem with it.
I tought you said the chainmail wearing Khuzait units are the issue.
Currently, some of the Khuzait culture's armor includes a chainmail armor and helmet, but this is very unnatural if their culture is referring to Mongol.
...so i was curious which Khuzait units use chainmail, as i haven't played Singleplayer in a while....

Yes, the lamellar, there's no problem with it.
I tought you said the chainmail wearing Khuzait units are the issue.
It's lamellar, but the majority of it is chainmail.
dyt9qowjzcs41.png

However, there is no official problem. As I stated above, this was a matter of my sensitivity.

The Mongols didn't use this type of armor, but I've seen official references to the Khuzait being a combination of nomadic groups of different cultures/ethnicities.
So if I find it unnatural, it doesn't matter. It wasn't something I should have asked for an official change. ;P

Last edited:
The huns seem to be a bit too old.
I don't know.
-The Battle of the Catalaunian Plains was at 451AD between huns on one side and West rome, westgoths, saxons, ..., on the other side.
-Mongols appeared in Europe in the 12th century i believe.

-East rome (which is the inspiration for the Empire) started existing arround 395AD until 1400. But i would say the empire is orientated more to the early byzantian empire. Also we have still roman inspired troops running arround like Triarii. So i think they fall more into the same time as the huns did.

-Different keltic tribes are the inspiration for battania. I don't think any of them still existed in the 12th century, but they deffenitely did when the huns where arround.

-Vlandia on ther other hand reminds me of the normans(900 AD?) which would put this faction closer to the mongol timewise.

-Sturgia seems to be a mix of slavic and skandinavian cultures. hard to put a date on them. I would say 600 - 1000 AD. So they don't really fit into the same timeline as mongols or huns.

- Aserai is quite difficult for me to judge. i think they fit from 400 AD until 1200 AD.

So in the end huns aswell as mongols fit and don't fit at the same time.

But as ZydrateTheSmoothCriminal already said they might be inspired by other factions which fit bether into the timeline.
Anyway despite inspired by reality this is still a fictional world which of course can have its own rules.

Don't let yourself get discouraged by @ZydrateTheSmoothCriminal harsh reply. Not everybody is like him. Starting a discussion never harms anybody as long as you stay polite. Your response to Zydrate was very calm so i have no doubt are that anyway.

Have a good day.

Yeah. Thanks, Kreu.
I don't particularly care if I'm cursed with foul language. The world is full of foul language and there's nothing useful in caring about it.
and he gave me a history lesson along with harsh words. That's beneficial to me. So I don't need to be angry at him at all.

I thought it was nonsense to ask for historical accuracy.
Sure, some degree of accuracy is necessary, but this is a game and a fantasy, Total. It's not like the War or Paradox games.
Therefore, you are right; it would be interesting to have a Hun flavor. :wink:

Last edited:
Everything in the game generally seems seems to draw from the 5th-12th centuries. Personally I really enjoy it. When playing Total War I HAVE to use overhaul mods to maximise historical accuracy due to the setting. In an alternate/fantasy world inspired by a period in which technology generally speaking didn't change all that much I can have more fun with it lol.

It's lamellar, but the majority of it is chainmail.
dyt9qowjzcs41.png

However, there is no official problem. As I stated above, this was a matter of my sensitivity.

The Mongols didn't use this type of armor, but I've seen official references to the Khuzait being a combination of nomadic groups of different cultures/ethnicities.
So if I find it unnatural, it doesn't matter. It wasn't something I should have asked for an official change. ;P
Yeah that one is Cuman inspired, they did use chainmail a lot, along with the helmets with facemasks. The others seem fine to me, even for a pure Mongol inspired armors, even though the inspiration for Khuzait is not purely Mongol, but as said before, a mix of interconnected nomadic cultures.

Ill never understand the mindset that a faction has to look identical to its irl counterpart. Its the same group of people that whined like children that Sturgia had some viking influence. The factions flavor shouldnt be a 1-1 irl comparison.

Makes no sense to ***** that a fantasy game has non realistic elements.

Back
Top Bottom