If anyone's still wondering about the perks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Your character level gives no benefit and give a global reduction to learning speed of all skills.
I didn't know this.
Why isn't this shown in the Learning rate tool tip? There it says it only depends on the relevant Attribute and Focus points.
If what you're saying is true, this is a lame mechanic and makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I didn't know this.
Why isn't this shown in the Learning rate tool tip? There it says it only depends on the relevant Attribute and Focus points.
If what you're saying is true, this is a lame mechanic and makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
As for why.....https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...o-says-buggy-mess-after-8-years.426955/unread
They either just forgot or didn't get around to it yet. The mechanic sucks but a tool tip is a non-priority for sure.
Just make a note of a skill's learning rate (a skill you don't actively level) when you're near leveling, then look again after you level. It will be somewhat slower, despite not having having leveled.

Maybe I'll make a video someday showing this as it seems many people can't believe this when they hear it. It is a very bad mechanic as it is counter intuitive to everything about a "skill up to level up " type system. I basically punished the player in too many ways. Skills need more exp to reach higher levels, skill bonus speed from FP goes down as they level, THIS SHOULD BE ENOUGH. Slowing progress in third way, let alone for all skills, is just too much.

I wonder if they were discussing morrowing and oblivions weird skill bonus system
"I can't think of anything more counter intuitive and annoying..."
"...I CAN...."

I wonder if they were discussing morrowing and oblivions weird skill bonus system
"I can't think of anything more counter intuitive and annoying..."
"...I CAN...."
"Motivating" the player to actively avoid parts of gameplay so they don't hinder their own progress???
That's not a design omission. That's just plain retarded. No two ways about it.

Personally I treat the entire game as unfinished (surprising, I know). I played for 50 hours (had lots of fun) and now I play something else until a few major updates get released. ?‍♂️

I hope so but FOOL ME ONCE. They said before they were not putting in the perks because they were making changes..... but then they put the new melee perks
and it's just "hur dur you sword 1% more gooder yeh fa yoo" perks that are boring and useless.

Well this is really 2 issues. Something is essential for the feeling of character progression and building for the RPG aspect of the game and this something is seriously lacking in current BL. If they want to do something else (more like warband style) go for it. I was a bit peeved when I read a dev say "It's just a perk" in response to saying how worthless the "raise the meek" perk is. Yes it's just a perk but that's all we ****ing get!

That said you can wipe out the AI and take the map with just what in the game. So in that sense perks aren't essential.
TW put in a poorly thought out system and then only decided to put in some of the actual skills. Then a couple of months into ea TW decides to rework the whole system. I know we're in ea, but the framework for what they want should be there but what we're getting is seat of the pants development, it shows, and it's a giant cluster ****. I don't care if they use what we have with some teaks or rework it. I just want something that makes sense and has impact on how we play the game.

Last edited:
Wow this is really disappointing, at least if they told us... Well... guess I'll wait 2 or 3 years before touching the game

They did tell you before you purchased it...
Was part of the Early Access description on Steam.

That's no excuse, their description on steam EA lends itself to that of a feature complete game with some minor additions needed over about a year. What you have now is a framework of a game with a development timeline that looks to extend far past that at the current rate.

Not only that but things like perks, diplomacy, quests, etc. all have the words in game. You can see them listed, select them, THINK you're progressing, when in fact none of it is/was implemented all along. THIS is very unusual, even for early access games. There is almost always some greyed out lettering or boxes that let you know (needs to be implemented). It's misleading to not address that at all, until someone actually realized (admittedly just a few days in, it became obvious) and called it out.

That's no excuse, their description on steam EA lends itself to that of a feature complete game with some minor additions needed over about a year. What you have now is a framework of a game with a development timeline that looks to extend far past that at the current rate.

Not only that but things like perks, diplomacy, quests, etc. all have the words in game. You can see them listed, select them, THINK you're progressing, when in fact none of it is/was implemented all along. THIS is very unusual, even for early access games. There is almost always some greyed out lettering or boxes that let you know (needs to be implemented). It's misleading to not address that at all, until someone actually realized (admittedly just a few days in, it became obvious) and called it out.
"Singleplayer Features: Several planned single player features may be missing or incomplete. These include but are not limited to: full game controller support, some skill and perk effects, crafting, some aspects of sieges, and clan, army and kingdom management."

"Singleplayer Features: Several planned single player features may be missing or incomplete. These include but are not limited to: full game controller support, some skill and perk effects, crafting, some aspects of sieges, and clan, army and kingdom management."

I was going to point out that the blurb was changed post launch, but I don't have to because they didn't update the current state blurb.

"What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“In terms of content, the early access version of the game contains all of the main staples of the Mount & Blade experience, with a host of content that is new to the series. Players can create their own character using the game’s character creation system; explore the continent of Calradia; gather their own warband of troops; command and fight alongside their troops in large scale battles using the game’s extensive command system and intuitive skill-based directional combat system; raid settlements; lay siege to and capture enemy towns and castles; trade items and goods using the game’s deep economy system; engage in politics and diplomacy; manage their own clan; upgrade and manage settlements; gather armies and wage war; and much, much more... all in a vast singleplayer sandbox setting where no two playthroughs are the same. The early access version also includes fully supported multiplayer game modes for players to test their combat skills and tactical prowess against players from all over the world.” "

I was going to point out that the blurb was changed post launch, but I don't have to because they didn't update the current state blurb.
It wasn't changed.

"What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“In terms of content, the early access version of the game contains all of the main staples of the Mount & Blade experience, with a host of content that is new to the series. Players can create their own character using the game’s character creation system; explore the continent of Calradia; gather their own warband of troops; command and fight alongside their troops in large scale battles using the game’s extensive command system and intuitive skill-based directional combat system; raid settlements; lay siege to and capture enemy towns and castles; trade items and goods using the game’s deep economy system; engage in politics and diplomacy; manage their own clan; upgrade and manage settlements; gather armies and wage war; and much, much more... all in a vast singleplayer sandbox setting where no two playthroughs are the same. The early access version also includes fully supported multiplayer game modes for players to test their combat skills and tactical prowess against players from all over the world.” "
So where does it say all perks are working?

By the way, the part you quoted was written after several big paragraphs about all the stuff that is missing and incomplete. Anyone who expected a complete and finished product at this point is a complete moron.

Anyway, "Of course, you may prefer to wait a little bit longer and hold off until the final, finished product. In this case, please consider adding the game to your wishlist and you’ll receive an email when we release the full version.”

I'm going to LOL when the new progression system has far fewer perks :wink:
I wish they make a core system that more like warband "I choose to get this stat/ability because that's who I am and what I want to be" and then have perks too so the perks can be "just a perk" and not the only character customization/building in the game. This could also give them a way around ****ed up leveling skills like medicine.

It wasn't changed.

So where does it say all perks are working?

By the way, the part you quoted was written after several big paragraphs about all the stuff that is missing and incomplete. Anyone who expected a complete and finished product at this point is a complete moron.

Anyway, "Of course, you may prefer to wait a little bit longer and hold off until the final, finished product. In this case, please consider adding the game to your wishlist and you’ll receive an email when we release the full version.”

Yes it was there's an older thread around here with the original copy pasted. And on that note you must think the game will be pretty much complete come 8 months from now? give or take a few months? I doubt it, but you do you.

The point is when you get into the game all the perks are listed as seemingly functional, you can spend points in them as you level and see a numerical progress that isn't there.

Same thing with "diplomacy and politics", it's literally non-existent johnny come lately? Same can be said about clan management, character progression, combat and campaign ai, story quests, main-line quest, pretty much everything. There is not a single feature complete and most are missing completely. Basic battle AI wouldn't even swing their weapons in combat for like 2 patches.

To sit back and imply in a blurb that you can engage in diplomacy and politics and manage your clan and nation is a flat out lie. What's in the game right now is essentially a lackluster battle simulation. The economy isn't functioning correctly, the fiefs aren't functioning correctly, the lords you play against aren't functioning correctly. NOTHING in this game is close to complete and to imply otherwise is disingenuous, and to act as if their timeline is reasonable or accurate is laughable.

Last edited:
Same thing with "diplomacy and politics", it's literally non-existent johnny come lately? Same can be said about clan management, character progression, combat and campaign ai, story quests, main-line quest, pretty much everything. There is not a single feature complete and most are missing completely. Basic battle AI wouldn't even swing there weapons in combat for like 2 patches.

While I have enjoyed parts of this game I will agree with the above here.

Yes it was there's an older thread around here with the original copy pasted. And on that note you must think the game will be pretty much complete come 8 months from now? give or take a few months? I doubt it, but you do you.
Source?
Anyway, I don't think the game will be complete in 8 months, Taleworlds clearly said they don't know how long development will take.

PS
Here is a link to the EA description copied on March 10, which was way before release:

The point is when you get into the game all the perks are listed as seemingly functional, you can spend points in them as you level and see a numerical progress that isn't there.

Same thing with "diplomacy and politics", it's literally non-existent johnny come lately? Same can be said about clan management, character progression, combat and campaign ai, story quests, main-line quest, pretty much everything. There is not a single feature complete and most are missing completely. Basic battle AI wouldn't even swing their weapons in combat for like 2 patches.

To sit back and imply in a blurb that you can engage in diplomacy and politics and manage your clan and nation is a flat out lie. What's in the game right now is essentially a lackluster battle simulation. The economy isn't functioning correctly, the fiefs aren't functioning correctly, the lords you play against aren't functioning correctly. NOTHING in this game is close to complete and to imply otherwise is disingenuous, and to act as if their timeline is reasonable or accurate is laughable.
All these features are listed as incomplete in the EA description.

Last edited:
It is accurate, playing on 1.4.2 + 31 mods :wink:
Currently playing on 1.4.2 and first trake perks doesnt work right. Profits are not marked, there are numerous people who reported it. So this website is inaccurate because it is marked that the first perk works but it is not the case. Is this more clear ? :smile:

Back
Top Bottom