Ideas for Improving Immersion of Wanderers and Nobles.

Users who are viewing this thread

In Bannerlord, there are always a few features that I felt were missing when it came to Noble's and Wanderers. These being:

Clans Being able to recruit Notables:
I believe that if AI noble clans were able to recruit wanderers as members of their clans, this would greatly diversify the story-making opportunities of the game. Imagine finding a wanderer and beating him up in the arena on day 10, then on day 1000 you meet him in the field as the clan leader of an enemy clan. Of course, this would mean that wanderers would be able to be promoted, and maybe if a clan dies with unpromoted wanderers they would return to towns as wanderers.

Nobles and Clan Wanderers Should be Able to Purchase new Gear:
Having Nobles able to purchase new gear would improve the visual diversity of the game, as you would see wealthier clans wearing more expensive armor and weapons than poorer clans. A new feature off of this would be to allow the player to have Companions auto purchase new weapons and gear for themselves in the clan screen, they would theoretically be able to set whether or not they can buy new gear, well also setting an exclusive culture to buy from if desired. I think AI clans would purchase gear corresponding to the clan leader culture or faction leader culture, if the faction leader culture is different than the kingdom culture (on game start) then it will default to clan leader culture. Creating situations where a leader of a kingdom can have entirely different gear in their clan than other clans, making clans visually similar.

Allowing Wanderers to Start their own Noble Clans:
Under certain conditions, wanderers should be able to create their own personal clans like the player, these clans (based on the leader/member traits) would shift in a functional purpose. Such as Bandit, Trader, Mercenary, Raider(only for Sturgians?), then as they level up their clan level their purpose might change based on said level. Such as Desire to be Noble, Desire for Wealth, Desire for Power/Leadership. This would shape how they progress making every clan feel unique. Such as an Aserai wanderer starting out as a trader, then as they level up they begin desiring power, leading them to more dubious methods of wealth gain, becoming a prominent bandit clan over time.

Maybe some of these features should allow the same type of things to occur for already noble clans, such as plotting to rebel against their king or something like owning workshops, I want to see what you think of these ideas.

Great idea!
There are so many NPC companions sitting in taverns doing nothing. Maybe when the lord is recruiting for his army, he should have a chance to recruit a companion? Nice way to boost their stats and equip them with loot that they found along the way. After a loss and lord being captured a companion may sit in the nearest tavern.

Great idea!
There are so many NPC companions sitting in taverns doing nothing. Maybe when the lord is recruiting for his army, he should have a chance to recruit a companion? Nice way to boost their stats and equip them with loot that they found along the way. After a loss and lord being captured a companion may sit in the nearest tavern.
And if the companion were to die it takes them out of the wanderer "economy" so there's actually a cycle instead of 10 pages of companions piling up in towns.

You can promote companions to clans now, you just need seed money and a fief to give them. Which is awesome.

I like you ideas though that clans should recruit wanderers as well, would be interesting and would make their groups harder at times as they would have more captains giving more perks to troops.

Good Ideas .. but my complaint is that wanderers need more variety - all "the silent" ones are generals with similar stats, all "the Swift" ones are merchants with similar stats .. etc etc most have few traits .. all the same ..

Awesome ideas. If I had to choose, wanderers would be the biggest priority.

The simple fact that they are created from some templates makes them uninteresting and expendable. Can they create decent ones? Absolutely. By that, I don't mean amazing background stories, even though that also plays a part. I mean interesting mechanics for them.

FIrst off, implement what they used to be able to do back in WB - liking/disliking other companions; protesting against some player actions (plunder a village, retreating battles, etc) and basic dialogue options. This is paramount.

Secondly - they should be sought after by the NPC lords and work for them, giving the same advantages the player has.

Make them unique - The companions should have hindrances like:

-Complain if they have/don't have a horse due to his background
-Complain about a particular type of food you provide for the troops, like an Aserai having to survive on wine
-Only use a certain weapon category or armor, because they feel confident with it, or have some sentimental value
-Moan that they are fighting along too many troops from a certain culture

They could end up leaving, or ask for a raise if you just ignore their pleas.

I also think the companions shouldn't only take money in consideration in order to join you. They could refuse, depending on your culture, your ability in a certain skill/attributes, your relation with someone or whether you have completed a certain quest or not.

There are so many possibilities...and the background story would be easy to create with all those possibilities.

i am really hoping modding can save this aspect of the game and include the things mentioned above

Awesome ideas. If I had to choose, wanderers would be the biggest priority.

The simple fact that they are created from some templates makes them uninteresting and expendable. Can they create decent ones? Absolutely. By that, I don't mean amazing background stories, even though that also plays a part. I mean interesting mechanics for them.

FIrst off, implement what they used to be able to do back in WB - liking/disliking other companions; protesting against some player actions (plunder a village, retreating battles, etc) and basic dialogue options. This is paramount.

Secondly - they should be sought after by the NPC lords and work for them, giving the same advantages the player has.

Make them unique - The companions should have hindrances like:

-Complain if they have/don't have a horse due to his background
-Complain about a particular type of food you provide for the troops, like an Aserai having to survive on wine
-Only use a certain weapon category or armor, because they feel confident with it, or have some sentimental value
-Moan that they are fighting along too many troops from a certain culture

They could end up leaving, or ask for a raise if you just ignore their pleas.

I also think the companions shouldn't only take money in consideration in order to join you. They could refuse, depending on your culture, your ability in a certain skill/attributes, your relation with someone or whether you have completed a certain quest or not.

There are so many possibilities...and the background story would be easy to create with all those possibilities.

i am really hoping modding can save this aspect of the game and include the things mentioned above
+1 at lot of players modded out Warband's companion complaints, but I always liked the added immersion.

I just want the wanderer's suffix to disappear after they've been promoted to a lord. It would make them feel like they're *actual* lords now like any other.

I just want the wanderer's suffix to disappear after they've been promoted to a lord. It would make them feel like they're *actual* lords now like any other.
It disappears when they die:smile:
It's funny I try to name the clan after the wanderer but then there's funny stiff like Steppe Leopards that choose the boar as thier banner. They can also choose the same banner as another clan!

Agreed, Alayen was my main man in Warband and I felt connected to him. I do like how Bannerlord utilized RNG for numerous combinations on wanderers, but I suppose that does come at the expense of not being able to write unique backstories on each and every one of them.

After 10-15 years of in game time, alot of clans are dying out from old age or getting themselves killed in battle which is leaving a large power vacuum in many of the kingdoms and countless generations of young kids that are taking too long to come of age to become characters.

While the update granting us the ability to raise wanderers to nobility is a welcome breath of fresh air, I'd like to see more activity on the AI front such as other houses recruiting them, or simply ambitious wanderers deciding to get the hell out of the tavern and make something of themselves (either going bandit, mercenary, or adventurer party).

Back
Top Bottom