Ideas for A Satisfying Ending

Users who are viewing this thread

froggyluv

Grandmaster Knight
This being a sandbox game - with really no end until you choose or I suppose you run out of heirs -what would you consider a satisfying ending to a game like this? Just full map with your icon over every city? A "Game Over You Won GG!" followed by credits and music?

Im an old head and cant even remember but there were some old PC games back on the Commodore 64 in which at the end the game would rate you on an ending screen in different areas or attributes and give you an absolute description "Ultimate Ruler! Cruel Leader! Little Snake!"

Meaning the game could be tracking all your decisions be it Marketplace, successful deals made and broken, seasons living in Peace/War, treatment of other Royals and populace, great victories and humbling defeats, times you cheated death (save scumming), amount of executions with or without evidence etc... and rank you with a unique title for all these attributes on a nicely done Kingdom Title End Screen. It would be make all of the little choices you barely give a sh** about during the long grindfest and make you care (maybe) about your final legacy

Might sound trivial but i remember feeling alot more satisfied after a months long grindfest having some sort of recap with a finishing touch

This being a sandbox game - with really no end until you choose or I suppose you run out of heirs -what would you consider a satisfying ending to a game like this? Just full map with your icon over every city? A "Game Over You Won GG!" followed by credits and music?

Im an old head and cant even remember but there were some old PC games back on the Commodore 64 in which at the end the game would rate you on an ending screen in different areas or attributes and give you an absolute description "Ultimate Ruler! Cruel Leader! Little Snake!"

Meaning the game could be tracking all your decisions be it Marketplace, successful deals made and broken, seasons living in Peace/War, treatment of other Royals and populace, great victories and humbling defeats, times you cheated death (save scumming), amount of executions with or without evidence etc... and rank you with a unique title for all these attributes on a nicely done Kingdom Title End Screen. It would be make all of the little choices you barely give a sh** about during the long grindfest and make you care (maybe) about your final legacy

Might sound trivial but i remember feeling alot more satisfied after a months long grindfest having some sort of recap with a finishing touch

Great idea! It would provide a chance for a nice epilogue and give TW the opportunity to inject some commentary and perhaps a little humour as well. This would be way off in the future as they have a lot of much more pressing things to take care of but I do like the concept.

a retirement option like "warband"
but with a video scene is what i'm thinking of
Yeah that would be great. I remember playing Sid Meier's Pirates and when you retired they gave you a ranking screen depending on a ton of things like how much money you made, how beautiful/rich your wife was, how many injuries you got etc. I'd love to see something like that in Bannerlord.

I am willing to bet that the vast majority of players never officially "end" a campaign, they just stop playing at some point. Strategy games always way overestimate player stamina and give you these huge maps to conquer but nowhere near enough game mechanics or map uniqueness to carry on to the end.

For me, the most satisfying part of a game like this is to achieve some difficult but limited goal the game only suggests implicitly, or that I make up myself. I often think something up and go "that would be cool to try" and then in a few sessions I complete it.
So for example in Kenshi there are a lot of quite difficult but completely unique and interesting midgame bosses who you can take out in a variety of ways. The very act of preparing for these these bosses bridges the gap between the nailbiting earlygame and the endgame, which would otherwise just be a load of grinding.

Bannerlord has next to none of these smaller goals to keep the player going. It's all just numbers slowly increasing until you become a steamroller. What the game needs is these smaller "implicit quests" with open ended solutions to allow some satisfaction in the midgame, where there usually isn't any.

Yeah that would be great. I remember playing Sid Meier's Pirates and when you retired they gave you a ranking screen depending on a ton of things like how much money you made, how beautiful/rich your wife was, how many injuries you got etc. I'd love to see something like that in Bannerlord.

yes thank you that was certainly one of them. Maybe 7 Cities of Gold as well -all those old Electronic arts games when they came with a high quality box and instructions set :grin:

Back
Top Bottom