Idea to stop the campaign map slowing down on major mods

Users who are viewing this thread

Aenima

Sergeant
In several warband mods I've experienced a lot of in game lag, from the smoothness (or lack thereof) of map models to interaction with NPCs and such, and the typical response is that because so much is happening all over the map the computer struggles to cope with it.

Would introducing a 'fog of war' help reduce this? If only a small area around the player is what's actually visible, would that reduce the lag since the computer doesn't need to process and show everything that's happening all over the map?

Just a thought of mine.

Well you should have a "fog of war" by default in that you can't see all other dynamic icons on the map, i.e. parties.

As far as concealing other static icons, such as towns and the like, that wouldn't have an effect since once loaded they stay loaded.

Trees can be a different matter though. I'm pretty sure their poly and texture density may play a factor, though I think that is only a factor when viewing the camp map at or near ground level, where much of the map can be viewed within the frame, and not so much when zoomed out in overhead view.

Beyond that there are other things going on, such as ai processes, i.e. spawning parties, which will have an impact on load regardless of what's visible.

Back
Top Bottom