Idea for spinoff Captain MP mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't come on the forums too often, but I just started getting into the MP part of the game a few days ago, but I have 350 hours into single player.

I tried Siege but couldn't find a match, then I played Skirmish which was pretty decent, then joined a 40 player TDM, which was terrible lol

Then I tried Captain mode which I thought I'd like the least, but ended up loving. After playing for a few hours the last couple of days I noticed how a lot of the time I was forced to play as the Khuzait faction.

This lead me to my idea for a spinoff/variation for Captain mode.

** TLDR >B( The idea is pretty simple, and most likely already has been posted, the idea is Mercenary Captain mode, you would be able to pick any faction you want, and pick whichever unit within that faction, but it would have to be single pick per team as well.

We all have our favorite factions, it would be good to be able to play as them whenever we want. I understand this could cause problems with balancing, but each team would have the same options available.

What do you guys think?

I don't come on the forums too often, but I just started getting into the MP part of the game a few days ago, but I have 350 hours into single player.

I tried Siege but couldn't find a match, then I played Skirmish which was pretty decent, then joined a 40 player TDM, which was terrible lol

Then I tried Captain mode which I thought I'd like the least, but ended up loving. After playing for a few hours the last couple of days I noticed how a lot of the time I was forced to play as the Khuzait faction.

This lead me to my idea for a spinoff/variation for Captain mode.

** TLDR >B( The idea is pretty simple, and most likely already has been posted, the idea is Mercenary Captain mode, you would be able to pick any faction you want, and pick whichever unit within that faction, but it would have to be single pick per team as well.

We all have our favorite factions, it would be good to be able to play as them whenever we want. I understand this could cause problems with balancing, but each team would have the same options available.

What do you guys think?
Yeah I like it; I certainly think they could really make a gem out of captains mode. Right now it is the best (and most stable) part of bannerlord.

Picking factions would just lead to people picking Empire 100% of the time, or whatever the strongest faction on the patch is.

Even with single pick? They can't have the best of every type of unit I wouldn't imagine.

I just think playing as the same faction 3 games in a row gets boring, one match was Khuzait vs Khuzait after playing as Khuzait the 2 games before that lol

Even with single pick? They can't have the best of every type of unit I wouldn't imagine.

I just think playing as the same faction 3 games in a row gets boring, one match was Khuzait vs Khuzait after playing as Khuzait the 2 games before that lol

That's just how RNG works sometimes.

Having a merc army would be interesting but the majority of classes would never be played, and there would be no decision making based on the faction matchup, since it would be the same every time.

That's just how RNG works sometimes.

Having a merc army would be interesting but the majority of classes would never be played, and there would be no decision making based on the faction matchup, since it would be the same every time.

From what I've seen the last few days, there's usually only about 3 units picked from each faction as it is, spearman (or two handers for certain factions), heavy cav, and mounted archers, the odd time someone picks foot archer.

I do like the aspect of getting a faction and then devising a strategy on the fly, it's definitely a positive part of the Captain mode gameplay.

A mercenary captain mode would be more like a game of rock, paper, scissors. Sure there would be the strongest combination for taking on rag tag random groups of players, but there would be a counter to that combination, and a counter to the counter as well.

I'm not suggesting that a Mercenary mode replace Captain mode, as long as the player numbers don't drop too low I think there would be room for both rulesets seeing as it's only 5v5.

idk, but part of what I like about captain's mode right now is how you have to play with which faction you are given, and find to the weaknesses of the enemy faction's players and faction unit strength
Not every faction has awesome heavy infantry so different strategies emerge, and I like that.
Although I will concede that stuff isn't balanced atm, but lets see how that progress in the future.
I think that the implementation of this mode would lead to players always choosing the best unit out of the best faction.

idk, but part of what I like about captain's mode right now is how you have to play with which faction you are given, and find to the weaknesses of the enemy faction's players and faction unit strength
Not every faction has awesome heavy infantry so different strategies emerge, and I like that.
Although I will concede that stuff isn't balanced atm, but lets see how that progress in the future.
I think that the implementation of this mode would lead to players always choosing the best unit out of the best faction.
Absolutely agree, it would be like an All-Star game lol that's kind of the point though. It's just a different variation of captain mode, I don't want it to replace Captain mode.

After a few days of playing it does seem like my favorite faction (Battania) is the weakest, we could only win against empire by using the "zerg" strategy with everyone picking infantry and charging lol. They eventually countered it.

It's just an idea for the devs to see, I doubt it'll lead anywhere, but like you said, the current captain mode isn't exactly fair as it is either, I think balance would be less of an issue for a Mercenary Captain mode than the original but thats just my opinion and I'm pretty new to MP.

After a few days of playing it does seem like my favorite faction (Battania) is the weakest, we could only win against empire by using the "zerg" strategy with everyone picking infantry and charging lol. They eventually countered it.

TW are fully aware of Battania's current poor showing and it will likely get updated in the next MP update due shortly.

After a few days of playing it does seem like my favorite faction (Battania) is the weakest.

Just a daily reminder to everyone that Battania still has a 19% winrate in competitive captain mode. Their equipment, perks, and stats simply suck compared to the other factions, and their units don't perform well in large numbers.

Just a daily reminder to everyone that Battania still has a 19% winrate in competitive captain mode. Their equipment, perks, and stats simply suck compared to the other factions, and their units don't perform well in large numbers.

Yeah the guys I played with last night said as much, I have 350 hours in single player but I have no idea what works in Captains mode yet. Sending clan applications the last fews days so I can learn, most people in-game are assholes to noobs.

Yeah the guys I played with last night said as much, I have 350 hours in single player but I have no idea what works in Captains mode yet. Sending clan applications the last fews days so I can learn, most people in-game are assholes to noobs.

You are welcome to come join the largest discord community of captain mode players that exists for the game, a lot of very experienced players in here as well as people with less experience that you can join on voice chat - https://discord.gg/G4dPjAA

Edit: Lots of clans in here you can join as well.

You are welcome to come join the largest discord community of captain mode players that exists for the game, a lot of very experienced players in here as well as people with less experience that you can join on voice chat - https://discord.gg/G4dPjAA
Thanks, I just joined another discord from a clan in the clan page but I'll join this one as well.

I think my biggest issue is lack of communication right now, typing is too inefficient, I can't do it while also controlling my troops effectively.

The obvious choice for a second captain mode is. SIEGE CAPTAIN. Makes most sense because with even 6v6 you could have a siege battle. That of coarse would require functional ai. SO don't expect it from TW soon, if ever.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom