I'd like a refund.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr.Milker said:
DefenderoftheCrown said:
*THIS ISN'T A RANT.*

Dear Sir or Madam of the Viking Conquest Development Team,

I purchased this title in good faith based on the reputation of the Mount and Blade brand

cfe1e187cd5703d9d1513ae24937b4839e3a7f1c97972667f576b79a1b2874a6.jpg

Ah yes, the fabled stability and bug free state of any Mount and Blade game on release. Yes.

To be 100% fair? The original MnB early access had probably the same level of content as Viking Conquest and was more stable. :/

Not even kidding.

A game made by a turkish dude and his wife versus a team that already made a better mod.

I don't understand why so many people are against requests for refunds. The game is clearly broken to a point where many people can't play with enjoyment due to the game crippling bugs. If people feel like the product they bought is not in a playable state they absolutely do deserve to receive a refund.  I already know that GOG is handing out refunds to those that ask, but I suspect that Valve won't follow their lead due to their status as an extremely anti-consumerist company. Valve will hand out refunds to those that ask if the developer gives them permission to do so though, so the ball is in the developers / taleworlds court.

Mr.Milker said:
Ah yes, the fabled stability and bug free state of any Mount and Blade game on release. Yes.
The original Mount & Blade and Warband were actually stable upon release. There were some bugs that escaped the QA testing but the titles did not exhibit the degree of crippling bugs (memory leaks, ctd, etc) that Viking Conquest is showing. The only MB titles that were released as shoddy pieces of work upon release were developed by third party developers (Fire & Sword and Napoleonic Wars).

ntblood said:
Waa! Waaa!    stop complaining and go ask Steam for your small refund. One of you said you are married?! Really, and you have nothing better/more important to do than complain/*****. To raise such an issue without any patience for a patch is just silly. Have a little patience why don't you and stop acting like a little kid who just dropped his ice cream cone on the sidewalk, is my humble suggestion.
If you can't discuss the matter civilly without resorting to ad hominem attacks on people you don't agree with, don't post at all.

KevinRudd said:
I don't understand why so many people are against requests for refunds. The game is clearly broken to a point where many people can't play with enjoyment due to the game crippling bugs. If people feel like the product they bought is not in a playable state they absolutely do deserve to receive a refund.  I already know that GOG is handing out refunds to those that ask, but I suspect that Valve won't follow their lead due to their status as an extremely anti-consumerist company. Valve will hand out refunds to those that ask if the developer gives them permission to do so though, so the ball is in the developers / taleworlds court.

Valve gives out refunds when games are demonstrated to be completely and utterly broken. If the game isn't patched to a playable state, they will give out refunds developer permitting or not.

That said, I'm sure it'll be fixed eventually, and Valve will drag their feet until that happens. Once the game is fixed, of course, Valve will decline any and all refunds.

freedomna said:
Dan11311 said:
freedomna said:
Ralepozozaxe said:
I didn't expect this game to be perfect and bug free, but I certainly didn't expect this game to be this buggy and incomplete. This game is in an exceedingly worse state than Fire and Sword when it came out, and that's really saying something. The devs should at least talk to steam about possible refunds, or at least putting on the store page that this game is not in working condition.
This would be perfect. At the very least add a warning saying this is a late-alpha, early-beta test.
You guys keep saying it's incomplete but how is it incomplete? There are no missing features that were promised as far as I know. There are bugs but that isn't the same. Even the most thoroughly tested games have bugs.

I wouldn't say alpha or beta but I would put a list of known bugs and hardware issues.
Missing Horse Textures
Missing Female Armour meshes
Less than the 100s of weapons we were promised
Less than the 100s of armours we were promised
About as stable Carribean was on Day 1 (an EARLY ACCESS mind you)

I could go on but I played about 10 minutes before I hopped on the far superiour Brytenwalda. [sarcasm] If only the people who made that mod made the DLC [/sarcasm]
The team said the textures were there when they handed the product over to Taleworlds. The incompatibility with the new WB patch caused some issues. I don't know if this is true but I can't disprove it.

They said hundreds of new items, weapons, and armors. Which isn't lying but it is misleading. I'd like to see them add more items with updates. Maybe someone will make an OSP for all of Brytenwalda's items?

I think they released this at the very least a month too early. Probably three months too early now that I'm looking at the product.
Bulivyf said:
Mr.Milker said:
DefenderoftheCrown said:
*THIS ISN'T A RANT.*

Dear Sir or Madam of the Viking Conquest Development Team,

I purchased this title in good faith based on the reputation of the Mount and Blade brand

cfe1e187cd5703d9d1513ae24937b4839e3a7f1c97972667f576b79a1b2874a6.jpg

To be 100% fair? The original MnB early access had probably the same level of content as Viking Conquest and was more stable. :/

Not even kidding.

A game made by a turkish dude and his wife versus a team that already made a better mod.
Different timeline meant they couldn't recycle a lot of things from the mod. Also poorer textures. Although I wish someone on the VC team had made an OSP. The VC team was pressed for time and I think had only one weapon/armor dev.
Phocks said:
Dan11311 said:
You guys keep saying it's incomplete but how is it incomplete? There are no missing features that were promised as far as I know. There are bugs but that isn't the same. Even the most thoroughly tested games have bugs.

I wouldn't say alpha or beta but I would put a list of known bugs and hardware issues.

I've already answered this so I'll try and answer it better, with an analogy this time.

Say you're making an apple pie. You put in the crust, and the filling, and you make it all nice and ready for the oven. You put it in the oven and get it baking....

Then you  take it out early and serve it.

That pie is not complete. Does it have everything a pie is supposed to have? Yes. Is it ready? No.

Game = Pie
Content = Ingredients
Bug testing and optimization = Baking

The game is raw. I can't even play it for 5 minutes without it crashing on me. That's with tons of tweaking. It's indigestible.

If you buy a game and you simply can't play it, it's incomplete. Heck, it's more than incomplete. A game can be missing the final level and still be playable until it's patched. Some people are playing just fine. Some people are having a difficult time playing. Some people can't play at all.
I haven't had the same issues with crashing yet. I see what you mean and I can totally agree with your points. It's just that so many people think the game was deliberately released with missing parts when an incompatibility issue can be and is most likely responsible for the problems with textures. We don't know a whole lot about what happened behind the scenes and people are jumping to conclusions. Now, Rome 2 by CA, that game was unfinished. It was even missing certain buttons in-game.

Dan11311 said:
freedomna said:
Dan11311 said:
freedomna said:
Ralepozozaxe said:
I didn't expect this game to be perfect and bug free, but I certainly didn't expect this game to be this buggy and incomplete. This game is in an exceedingly worse state than Fire and Sword when it came out, and that's really saying something. The devs should at least talk to steam about possible refunds, or at least putting on the store page that this game is not in working condition.
This would be perfect. At the very least add a warning saying this is a late-alpha, early-beta test.

Missing Horse Textures

I could go on but I played about 10 minutes before I hopped on the far superiour Brytenwalda. [sarcasm] If only the people who made that mod made the DLC [/sarcasm]
The team said the textures were there when they handed the product over to Taleworlds. The incompatibility with the new WB patch caused some issues. I don't know if this is true but I can't disprove it.

They said hundreds of new items, weapons, and armors. Which isn't lying but it is misleading. I'd like to see them add more items with updates. Maybe someone will make an OSP for all of Brytenwalda's items?

I think they released this at the very least a month too early. Probably three months too early now that I'm looking at the product.
I would have started with Brytenwalda as a base, then built the DLC from there. I mean they already have a great Viking era mod. Imagine Brytenwalda with an amazing story line like the game has + the new mechanics. Not only would this have freed up time for multiplayer (God knows the Native rip off is the lowest part of the DLC), but would have been better than what we currently have.

freedomna said:
Dan11311 said:
freedomna said:
Dan11311 said:
freedomna said:
Ralepozozaxe said:

Missing Horse Textures

I would have started with Brytenwalda as a base, then built the DLC from there. I mean they already have a great Viking era mod. Imagine Brytenwalda with an amazing story line like the game has + the new mechanics. Not only would this have freed up time for multiplayer (God knows the Native rip off is the lowest part of the DLC), but would have been better than what we currently have.
To be honest I wish they did that but I wasn't expecting it from the start. Mainly because Brytenwalda is a hugely complex mod and a lot of people don't play it due to just that. They wanted something much easier for the masses I guess.

There are a number of cool new features in this game.  To say it's essentially the same as vanilla Warband is absurd.  Of course, not all the new features work perfectly, and that is a different issue and one that can be fixed by the designers.

Several people have complained about or asked why the designers didn't include certain mods or OSPs.  My understanding is that since this is a DLC, they couldn't just borrow other peoples work, at least not without permission (and maybe even a commission). 

Brytenwalda turned out to be a pretty damned good mod (okay, that's an understatement) and I think this DLC will turn out to be good too and worth the money. 

Dan11311 said:
freedomna said:
Dan11311 said:
freedomna said:
Dan11311 said:
freedomna said:
Ralepozozaxe said:

Missing Horse Textures

To be honest I wish they did that but I wasn't expecting it from the start. Mainly because Brytenwalda is a hugely complex mod and a lot of people don't play it due to just that. They wanted something much easier for the masses I guess.

This game fails to do even that as it takes hours of boring gameplay to get even the most basic of troops, and sometimes because of random chance you still can't get them.

Redleg said:
-There are a number of cool new features in this game.  To say it's essentially the same as vanilla Warband is absurd. 

-Of course, not all the new features work perfectly, and that is a different issue and one that can be fixed by the designers.

-Several people have complained about or asked why the designers didn't include certain mods or OSPs.  My understanding is that since this is a DLC, they couldn't just borrow other peoples work, at least not without permission (and maybe even a commission). 

-Brytenwalda turned out to be a pretty damned good mod (okay, that's an understatement) and I think this DLC will turn out to be good too and worth the money.
-The SP is different. The MP is just a reskin of Native with an extra game mode or two.

-They not only don't work perfectly, they barely work at all. The amount of bugs we have is akin to early access.

-I am sure if they asked nicely the devs who made Brytenwalda would let the VC guys use their work :/ xD

-The problem is, on final release (not, alpha or beta), it feels like Caribbean (which is an Alpha game)... correction, it feels like early Caribbean. Instead of finishing the DLC they rush it out for the holiday season..... I don't know if it is Taleworlds or Brytenwalda Devs who are at fault for the release day but it just reeks of greed.

KevinRudd said:

Mr.Milker said:
The original Mount & Blade and Warband were actually stable upon release. There were some bugs that escaped the QA testing but the titles did not exhibit the degree of crippling bugs (memory leaks, ctd, etc) that Viking Conquest is showing. The only MB titles that were released as shoddy pieces of work upon release were developed by third party developers (Fire & Sword and Napoleonic Wars).

ntblood said:
Waa! Waaa!    stop complaining and go ask Steam for your small refund. One of you said you are married?! Really, and you have nothing better/more important to do than complain/*****. To raise such an issue without any patience for a patch is just silly. Have a little patience why don't you and stop acting like a little kid who just dropped his ice cream cone on the sidewalk, is my humble suggestion.
If you can't discuss the matter civilly without resorting to ad hominem attacks on people you don't agree with, don't post at all.
Bravo. Well said.

The developers are clearly owning up to their mistakes, and are working on it. If y'all wanna throw an angry fit over such a cheap DLC instead of waiting for it, then go ahead. You clearly have some interest in what this was supposed to be-- will it really hurt you that much to wait a week or two? The developers are working diligently, and have acknowledged that it was released with a lot of bugs and crashes. Not a lot of devs do that. They are interacting with the community, and instead of throwing fits and crying for a refund, it might be beneficial for everyone if we, the players, instead focus on giving constructive criticism and waiting.

CHjorgo said:
-The developers are clearly owning up to their mistakes, and are working on it. If y'all wanna throw an angry fit over such a cheap DLC instead of waiting for it, then go ahead.

-You clearly have some interest in what this was supposed to be-- will it really hurt you that much to wait a week or two?

-The developers are working diligently, and have acknowledged that it was released with a lot of bugs and crashes. Not a lot of devs do that.

-They are interacting with the community, and instead of throwing fits and crying for a refund, it might be beneficial for everyone if we, the players, instead focus on giving constructive criticism and waiting.
-We did wait for it, we waited patiently for it up to RELEASE DAY. You do not bloody release a half finished game! I do not know how many times I need to say it, or why it isn't already on a list of painfully obvious things you shouldn't do such as:
*Mugging old ladies
*Putting your hand on something red hot
*Real life frogger

-I waited 3 months. They gave their word that it would be ready on the 11th of the Decemeber... it was not, yet they released it anyways. I have the right to be upset about that.

-It scares me that not a lot of devs admit when they screwed up... I worry about the future of the gaming industry. The fact that they apologised though shouldn't be something we fawn over. They should apologise, it is expected when you botch something up. Celebrating that they apologised is like celebrating that the guy who punched you in the face apologised. You still got screwed over.

-It would be easier to list the things -not- wrong than the things that are. TBH they should just take the Brytenwalda mod (I am sure they can convince the people who made the mod to give them permission  :roll:) add the new things they wanted (religion, story line) and release that. That would be worth the $10. I didn't pay this money to beta test on the 11th. I want the full game when they said we were going to have it.

freedomna said:
Redleg said:
-There are a number of cool new features in this game.  To say it's essentially the same as vanilla Warband is absurd. 

-Of course, not all the new features work perfectly, and that is a different issue and one that can be fixed by the designers.

-Several people have complained about or asked why the designers didn't include certain mods or OSPs.  My understanding is that since this is a DLC, they couldn't just borrow other peoples work, at least not without permission (and maybe even a commission). 

-Brytenwalda turned out to be a pretty damned good mod (okay, that's an understatement) and I think this DLC will turn out to be good too and worth the money.

-I am sure if they asked nicely the devs who made Brytenwalda would let the VC guys use their work :/ xD

I'm not talking about the stuff that the Brytenwalda guys developed on their own for Brytenwalda, I'm talking about the stuff from other modders, stuff like PBOD, and some of the armors and weapons.

Dan11311 said:
Wow, some people here sound entitled indeed. The exaggerations, holy crap. Does anyone remember Rome 2? Battlefield 4? Way more unstable than VC on release and from triple A publishers that usually only half patch stuff. This game has been out for two days for crying out loud. Give it a chance.

I think a lot of this stems from penned up frustration with literally every popular title this year. Not a single one has been released without immersion/game/multiplayer breaking issues. And everyone is fed up.

But, honestly, Taleworlds rox, so you shouldn't be that guy that gets upset at work and goes home and kicks the dog for barking. But, that being said, it's okay to be upset with a purchased product when it doesn't work correctly. But, when a company acknowledges a manufacturer default with a recall, you're getting that s**t fixed for free. So, be patient.

Leifr Eiríksson said:
freedomna said:
Napoleonic Wars was revolutionary for MB:WB.

:lol:
What?
I am willing to go one step further. It was a revolutionary game for first person shooters, period.

NW showed that you do not need to have semi automatic/full automatic fire guns (any gun post 1930) to have a fun and enjoyable FPS. A revolutionary concept successfully implemented.

Redleg said:
freedomna said:
Redleg said:

I'm not talking about the stuff that the Brytenwalda guys developed on their own for Brytenwalda, I'm talking about the stuff from other modders, stuff like PBOD, and some of the armors and weapons.
Why not then just remove everything they didn't have the rights too, rebuild what they removed from scratch, then add on from that?

ronniejay said:
But, when a company acknowledges a manufacturer default with a recall, you're getting that s**t fixed for free. So, be patient.
I am glad that TW and the devs are patching this do not get me wrong. The thing is, this should have been done -before- you released the game. As you said, we (gamers) are treated as free (actually we -pay- for the "privilege") beta testers and we are sick of it. I stopped buying new games (always wait a year) because of this. To have the same treatment though from fellow gamers... and not only that, fellow gamers from -our- community. It is a betrayal of trust.

I am sure I am not alone in saying if they just told us "Hey, the DLC is taking a bit longer than expected. If you give us an extra month, we will have it finished and bug tested." We wouldn't complain one bit.

Now I don't know who dropped the ball with the release date, TW or Brytenwalda Crew, but one of them did and by dropping the ball, betrayed their fan base. I do respect though that they are trying to make amends.

I find it bizarre that people are so against asking for a refund. I'm patient enough to wait at least a week or two for a patch, but let's be serious here: the game in its current form is completely broken for a lot of people. The last save I made got to the farm and that's where I had to stop because the scene would cause a CTD every time, meaning I can no longer continue in the story. In the next playthrough I tried to make I bugged out at the boat tutorial, the second I stepped onto the boat I got teleported into the middle of a field. And now even with this hotfix there are tons of textures missing and unselectable options at character creation. If you aren't experiencing problems, whatever, but can we not pretend that because it isn't happening to you that it isn't happening to anyone?

And even ignoring that many aspects seem simply poorly designed. Equipment variety is horrible, making factions identical across the board. The way attributes work makes no sense, athletics in particular is just ridiculous. Men have gigantic breasts and women have gigantic shoulders, not to mention the frankly appalling female faces. Troops are all very high leveled making it a pain to train an army, and forget recruiting them. Raiding villages and monasteries as a VIKING crushes your reputation. Battle AI sucks and the enemy will just sit there waiting for you, forcing you to spend 5 minutes running all the way across the map. Formations don't work in scenes.

Then there's stuff that feels like it's missing. Why are there no dane axes? No throwing axes - or at least the ability to throw one handed axes? And from what I hear the "coastal town raid" scene that was so heavily advertised isn't even doable outside of the story mode.

I like the story and am intrigued by the way it at least seems to have branching paths (though last I tried, I couldn't find a way to actually kill the king as the game seems to force you to defend the town...suggesting to me that it's just smoke and mirrors and not actual choices) but it feels to me like this game doesn't really have much else. Even with all the bugs fixed I'm worried that I might only play the story mode once and then lose interest completely.

Grimes said:
I find it bizarre that people are so against asking for a refund. I'm patient enough to wait at least a week or two for a patch, but let's be serious here: the game in its current form is completely broken for a lot of people. The last save I made got to the farm and that's where I had to stop because the scene would cause a CTD every time, meaning I can no longer continue in the story. In the next playthrough I tried to make I bugged out at the boat tutorial, the second I stepped onto the boat I got teleported into the middle of a field. And now even with this hotfix there are tons of textures missing and unselectable options at character creation. If you aren't experiencing problems, whatever, but can we not pretend that because it isn't happening to you that it isn't happening to anyone?

And even ignoring that many aspects seem simply poorly designed. Equipment variety is horrible, making factions identical across the board. The way attributes work makes no sense, athletics in particular is just ridiculous. Men have gigantic breasts and women have gigantic shoulders, not to mention the frankly appalling female faces. Troops are all very high leveled making it a pain to train an army, and forget recruiting them. Raiding villages and monasteries as a VIKING crushes your reputation. Battle AI sucks and the enemy will just sit there waiting for you, forcing you to spend 5 minutes running all the way across the map. Formations don't work in scenes.

Then there's stuff that feels like it's missing. Why are there no dane axes? No throwing axes - or at least the ability to throw one handed axes? And from what I hear the "coastal town raid" scene that was so heavily advertised isn't even doable outside of the story mode.

I like the story and am intrigued by the way it at least seems to have branching paths (though last I tried, I couldn't find a way to actually kill the king as the game seems to force you to defend the town...suggesting to me that it's just smoke and mirrors and not actual choices) but it feels to me like this game doesn't really have much else. Even with all the bugs fixed I'm worried that I might only play the story mode once and then lose interest completely.

My problem is that it will take way more than a week to fix all the bugs with this game. There are so many game breaking bugs (like memory leaks), and these are paired with poor game design. This game will probably not be ready for selling for more than a month. In other words, they sold an unfinished game. This is why they should tell steam (and other retailers) to either offer refunds, or warn people that this game is not finished in its current state on their store page.

To note, I'm someone who want's a refund.

You should expect this from games these days, I can't think of the last game I purchased on release that didn't have a single bug. It might not be right but at this point you're the idiot if you pre-order something or purchase the day of release and expect anything other than this to happen and screaming I WANT A REFUND!!! in a forum post instead of actually trying to talk to someone who could maybe help you get a refund is pretty ridiculous. As is asking for a refund for a game you couldn't wait a single day longer than you had to to get your hands on and so obviously are probably going to end up buying again at some point down the road if you do get a refund.

Wat.

You know why so many games are being released far from finished/promised state? It's because of dumb fanboys like you. I love to play M&B - one of the best games I've ever played. But there is no way in hell that I will just accept that some games are broken at launch.

I don't usually pre-order but I did for VC. **** me for wanting to play a game, right?
The game is unplayable at the moment. We are not talking about simple bugs, you bafoon. The game is poorly optimized and crashes (take a look at the topic from a concerned player about the pisspoor memory used in VC).

Why are you stupid fanboys making video games out to be something so ******** special, that people should just accept that when the game is broken it's just "Too bad. Just wait for them to fix it :----)".

If you bought a screwdriver from a hardwarestore and it breaks in half every few mintues you're using it, wouldnt you return it? Why the **** is a game any different. Sure, minor problems can be accepted but crashes due to poorly testing is just... not okay. I know you won't get that in to your thick ******** head, but I'd love to see your scrawny face when the cashier at the hardwarestore tells you to just accept that the screwdriver is broken. They will fix it... eventually. And you - being the idiot you are - would probably just accept it.

I'm not going to ask for a refund for VC, but I can understand why people will. **** you and your fanboism - you're the reason why so many games are released in pisspoor conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom