I Wonder if Every Castle Will Actually Be Unique?

Users who are viewing this thread

stevepine

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Hi guys,

Back in the swirling mists of time, TW said that they aimed to make every town and castle completely unique.... But these days, I have been wondering if this will actually happen. I mean they still haven't made every town unique right? Never mind every castle.

So my question is.... do you think this will ever be achieved? ...... or is it just another abandoned TW promise?

My personal hope is that once the scene creators have finished with the 'Battle Terrain System', then they will switch their focus to things like castles.

(Castles for me are SO central to mount and blade and need so much work in my opinion .... but that's already been talked - and ranted about - a thousand times).

Last edited:
Despite I've not seen in the patch notes, they added some new tows in 1.7.0 (e.g Askar, Lycaron, etc) so there's aparently some people working on this. Let's hope they'd not dare to release the game before making all locations unique as they should be.

Castles I don't think so, I think they might've already ditched that idea even before ditching the village management. Thing is, it's no longer just one scene, it's 3 scenes per settlement (one per tier). They might introduce variations of generic castle maps, but I really doubt we're gonna see unique castles. Unique towns are another story, they're sort of starting off there

Castles I don't think so, I think they might've already ditched that idea even before ditching the village management. Thing is, it's no longer just one scene, it's 3 scenes per settlement (one per tier). They might introduce variations of generic castle maps, but I really doubt we're gonna see unique castles. Unique towns are another story, they're sort of starting off there

well, I hope that you're mistaken about it. ( Not saying that you are ). But if that's true.... then it's a serious change for the development of the whole game.

Last edited:
i do belive they have added some unique castle scene already (i could be wrong)

Which castles?
Just have a look at the patch notes over the last few months, you'll find the names.

Sorry, I honestly can't be bothered to do that now just to answer your question ... but the castle scenes which they added are right there in the patch notes. (Its' not many - it's just a few )

Last edited:
I'm just going to take this opportunity to plead TW to include their modding community in the development process and create a sort of a mapping competition, giving the mappers / scene-makers some ground rules and lore to adhere to, accelerating both the development and giving some much needed hope and acknowledgement to the modding scene.

Also be really cool if the extraterrestrials from Andromeda could send a satellite or two our way so that our species can conjoin in intergalactic solidarity and drive the progress of sentient life forward.

I'm just going to take this opportunity to plead TW to include their modding community in the development process and create a sort of a mapping competition, giving the mappers / scene-makers some ground rules and lore to adhere to, accelerating both the development and giving some much needed hope and acknowledgement to the modding scene.

Also be really cool if the extraterrestrials from Andromeda could send a satellite or two our way so that our species can conjoin in intergalactic solidarity and drive the progress of sentient life forward.

I think both your ideas are equally as likely to happen.

They need to make sure they have ranged in optimal location to fire on attackers and that they have secondary place to fall back to once the get into the walls.
They hinted at the defenders being able to fall back to the keep in the 2016 video, and from there the siege would progress to the next stage. The features of which would be showcased in another video that never came.
Now 6 years later we have "keep battles".
great.

I do like variety top have for these castles and towns, however, what is the point in having each of them unique? There is nothing to do there, it's a waste! Wish they could do something, like special events, more quests within these scenes, etc. I'm sure lots of you guys has suggested these things.

Unique towns, then castles, then settlements. After that unique random encounters and ruins to explore on map that should be a goal. More hideouts to the mix. Then a unique cell for every area of the map.

Once that is done make more interiors for random locations in towns. Hideouts, thug dens, merchant locations and quests.

72 field battle scenes are done out of 148
About 38 town scenes are done out of 52
About 24?? castle scenes are done out of 64
Unique towns, then castles, then settlements. After that unique random encounters and ruins to explore on map that should be a goal. More hideouts to the mix. Then a unique cell for every area of the map.

Once that is done make more interiors for random locations in towns. Hideouts, thug dens, merchant locations and quests.
Just to temper your expectations a bit, it took them months to do about 5 city scenes and 20 field scenes. With the huge amount of work still to do on unique castles, cities, and battlefields, which could genuinely take a couple years and burn out the mappers, I don't think unique random encounters and ruins to explore will ever be a thing outside mods.

Isn't that already the case? Raising ladders is hellish because they made sure they fell flatly within the field of fire
Not at all, you can field hundreds of ranged units while they can only fire with a part of what they have, there's just not enough spaces for them to be, you can completely obliterate them as they trickle in replacing what dies. Also, I've completed the game without ever using the ladders too you don't ever need to waste troops doing that.

Not at all, you can field hundreds of ranged units while they can only fire with a part of what they have, there's just not enough spaces for them to be, you can completely obliterate them as they trickle in replacing what dies. Also, I've completed the game without ever using the ladders too you don't ever need to waste troops doing that.
To be fair, archer spamming has always been the best strategy for sieges. It's just that now hitboxes of objects are more precise so you can absolutely snipe a guy through an arrowslit and you have more space for your archers. Literally the only warband mod to ever balance that out is Pendor where the defenders sally out and your archers receive no ammo to fight back.

They have finished 72 field battle scenes out of about 148 map regions.

For cities, roughly 45 out of 52 unique scenes are done. The main missing ones are Battanian and Sturgian.

This is a very rough guess but I think 24 out of 64 castles are done - a few unique ones per faction. A lot of work to do.

I don't know what the goal is with unique villages. Heck, I would personally not mind if they never finished making villages unique. There's a massive amount of villages and players barely ever visit them in person, and they are so aesthetically similar that even if most of them were clones it wouldn't be an issue.
TW used to have a competition with a task of making a lore-friendly village. However it was stated in the beginning that the scenes are only going to be released as OSP projects (free use for any mod). They gave out PCs as prizes and all:

There are actual published submissions you can check out and even grab:

I am learning Bannerlord scene design and I have participated. @TengriBless the thing you suggest is... a bit more complicated than that. It is actually very hard to make Bannerlord scenes because the new editor is very advanced. It can be compared to a full-time job. I've spent 6 months for a relatively small but detail-rich village and it's been two years of editor practice that I'm only getting somewhat confident with it. Only a fraction of submissions would qualify for a vanilla Bannerlord design standarts (mine scene excluded lmao). As for your suggestion, it is 1)partially done for modding OSPs, 2)rather tricky and 3)would probably make more sence to TW to directly approach individual scene artists with job offers.

Last edited:
72 field battle scenes are done out of 148
About 38 town scenes are done out of 52
About 24?? castle scenes are done out of 64

Just to temper your expectations a bit, it took them months to do about 5 city scenes and 20 field scenes. With the huge amount of work still to do on unique castles, cities, and battlefields, which could genuinely take a couple years and burn out the mappers, I don't think unique random encounters and ruins to explore will ever be a thing outside mods.
It will take another two years for them to finish the game. With warband they supported it long after. Hopefully they keep adding.

Back
Top Bottom