I thought cavalry would be the natural counter to archers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Apparently not. Archers are just able to draw the bow under a second and shoot with lazer beam accuracy at close range, its very ****ing hard to kill an experienced archer player with cavalry; I press left click and before I'm able to even ready my spear the archer just shoots me in the head.
While the situation is so bad like this, you chose to increase rate of fire for the bows in the beta, what are you thinking?

Cavalry weren’t the perfect counter on warband too and that’s fine, in the end they are both support class for the infantry

People just wanna make lance go brr

The best cavalry plays are seen in skirmish, when your target is fighting someone else. Stick your lances in their backs if you don't want to get shot off your horse like a fool.

Let's not forget that TDM cavalry already get the most kills, and here yall are wanting to nerf archers so you can ride around like kings.

Cav are not a high kills unit in captain, they are there to keep the archers occupied while the infantry advance on them without being fired upon. That is their main role with archers

Last edited:
So not do anything? Just let the archer be and decimate us?
I still think the bow drawing time should be increased.
You need to time your cav charge... so you are not just running at archers as soon as you see them, you need to hit them when the infantry on your side needs you to hit them. you should only be needing to occupy the archers while the infantry push forward... you will lose horses, but you will be the reason your infantry rush survives

Apparently not. Archers are just able to draw the bow under a second and shoot with lazer beam accuracy at close range, its very ****ing hard to kill an experienced archer player with cavalry; I press left click and before I'm able to even ready my spear the archer just shoots me in the head.
While the situation is so bad like this, you chose to increase rate of fire for the bows in the beta, what are you thinking?

Actualy cav are the counter for shooter. If you want to kill a experienced archer player, you just need a experienced cav. This require training, experience and good positioning. You just can't rush a shooter straight and believe that you gonna kill him because ''cav is countering shooter''. But it's true that what got announced in the next patch about increasing the rate fire probably gonna break this balance.

Don't charge a archer thats looking at you
Pretty much, charging an archer with cavalry alone is suicide dude, even in Warband. If you charge straight to an archer and press left click you're literally uncovering yourself from the shield and leaving yourself an open target. If you're 1v1 an archer and have no choice other than fighting take your sword when you have time, get close and fight with your horse pushing the archer, even though, this is difficult and counterable and not reccomended unless you know what you're doing. Fight with your team and you'll do fine, in time you'll find spots to attack.

Cav is 100% supposed to be a support unit and not killing machines. There are some cav types better suited for killing enemy cav but other than that they should just support the infantary.

heavy cav do counter horse archers. however i have found that with the current patch making them not be able to move quickly in a shield wall formation that they are no longer needed. instead i just have a group of khan guards that run off the horse archer in their place. Is also worth noting that khan guards are better melee cav than actual melee cav but they are the only exception to that.

Some annoying (and good) cav players are just staying behind an archer holding shield block, waiting them to shoot and then hitting on arch's weapon swap, thats the best safe tactic for cav, at least against me. Some guys just turning back on hit so arch would shoot in their shield and after that they perform quick turn-around and hit, but I guess that's unreliable against really good archer, cause he can always shoot on rider's leg. 2 cav can always gang bang any archer and there's nothing he can do if cav guys dont show their heads. The best tactic against good arch on skirmishes I guess is to force him to swap to melee weapon and then charging him from time to time running between inf fight and him just to increase his shooting downtime on weapon swaps. If archer doesnt shoot, he is basically useless.

There's one good way to counter any archer - just hold shield block.

I think the issue I gathered from the post is that most bows (haven't tried in 1.5.5 beta) ready and shoot an arrow quicker than the attack animation of most weapons can get released. That's an annoying problem imo.

I can agree that cavalry aren't the be-all-end-all killing machines, and mainly thrive when the enemy force is split up and disorientated but they really are the natural counters to archers due to their speed and manoeuvrability. As long as you have a shield you should be fine, but as stated earlier it can be a ***** to just get a stab in. Like most of the issues I have with the game, it comes down to archery being too easy again.

Some people getting it wrong, I did not say that cavalry is the ultimate killing machine, I just stated that if I'm charging an archer that is NOT looking at me he shouldn't be able to turn around and do a 360 no scope horse**** while jumping and hit my head. Also maybe a 110 gold spawn archer with a bow that is two twigs and a string attached together shouldn't be able to damage a heavily armored horse for half of its hp, just sayin.
This situation is going to get worse when beta comes live, unless they change something.

Back
Top Bottom