I Think My New Sword Has Been Bunted

Users who are viewing this thread

The meaning of my title is the fact that trying to fight  cavalry on foot is annoying. My sword or any other weapon I am using that isn't ranged, usually bounces of the enemy cavalry's armour.  I know they have good armour that is getting a little off the edge. I really think they should decrease cavalry's armour, or simply increase the swords attack. This is usually just in multiplayer. Or I would make a mod. :smile:

Any input on this?

Yep... unless you manage to shoot them in the face (I say in the face because I've shot an armored guy three times with a musket and he still lived long enough to kill me), the armored guy will steamroll you.

Damage reduction... fine. But completely bouncing off... nah, that's unbalanced.

Hm, in the rare cases I fight on foot,
I don´t have any problems to pass enemy armor...
this goes for battles in the field (when I got unhorsed and my hussars lance turns into a sabre)
as well as when I defend fortresses/towns and use my pike from 2nd rank.

On the other hand I am vassal of the swedes and we are at peace with poland,
so I assume that I don´t encounter the heaviest armored enemies that you can find,
as they all fight on my side. :grin:

But honestly, the heaviest plate armor at this time was built to withstand bullets
(and extremly expensive, meaning, that only few people could afford it)...
I have no doubts that it would also withstand hits by a sword,
unless they were well aimed thrusts at vulnerable locations (like the joints or the visor)
or blunt damage
(which is why in Fechthandbüchern (Fighting Handbooks) already before the 17th century
you see swordsmen usually using half sword techniques (getting a grip on the half of the blade and using the sword for piercing attacks) or mordshaue (murder hews = using the sword "the other way round" by gripping it on the blade and striking the enemy with the pommel of the sword) getting used against enemies in plate)

When all of my attacks WITH THE BEST SABER bounce off of Hussar armor, I think there is something wrong.

Gameplay > Accuracy.

If you want a historical game, you will never respawn, there is no HUD, you can only run and walk so far. There is also no form of communication besides voice and letter.

This is where anything that crushes through blocks helps, 2 handed swords for example eat Hussars and horses for breakfast, just get the hand crafted or masterwork ones for better speed on the swings.

I kill heavily armoured guys in multi-player all the time.  The secret is _don't_ aim for the body with melee or ranged.  Shoot in head or legs only.  Even if they have the best helmet they are still more vulnerable in the head than the abdomen, and a horseman is easiest to hit in the legs when using melee weapons.  Of course any weapon that does piercing damage will work better, but it is still possible to take down a heavily armoured soldier with a sword if you do this and if you have trouble doing this then all you need is practice.  I tend to use slashes at legs and overhead swings for the head depending on what I'm wielding.

As for cavalry, unless you are very good or at close range, you shouldn't be aiming at the guy on the horse -- you should be aiming at his horse.  Cavalry usually don't do so well when unhorsed.  Learning to dodge lances and swords wielded by cavalry is practically an art form but anyone can do it if they practice.

So, short answer is: head, legs and practice. :smile:

Edit: Reading comprehension fail on my part, so my answer isn't quite what you wanted I guess, but still most of it is true.  Or at least is in my experience.

Tempered swords, broadswords and sabers usually have higher armor penetration level. Currently my onehanded weapons skill is around 400 and that allowes me to kill reitars or hussars with 1-2 blows.

I've had great luck using Pikes.  Just get the biggest ****off long pike you can find, plant your flag, and yell "Come At Me Bro!"

This should inspire your target to indeed charge your position, at which point you thrust and have his face (or anything really) meet the pointy end of your stick.  His own force should give you around 100 bonus damage. 

scar1981 said:
Tempered swords, broadswords and sabers usually have higher armor penetration level. Currently my onehanded weapons skill is around 400 and that allowes me to kill reitars or hussars with 1-2 blows.

Multiplayer not Single-player...

And its usually my sword that bounces off. I would be okay if when you hit them they got the knock back and maybe a little damage. I can understand not blasting a heavily armoured enemy, be seriously when you swing a sword hard your gonna feel it and its gonna knock you back a little.

In multyplayer it is pain in the ass. Noobs in mirror armors can kick off experienced players because you need to blow him 5-6 times with your saber  in certain effective range (no too close not too far) the strongest blow can be performed if your enemy moves towards your blow. Best weapons against armored bastard is one handed axe, two handed axe and sword, but the most effective one handed weapon is chekan (don't remember in english) - axe with very narrow blade.

scar1981 said:
In multyplayer it is pain in the ass. Noobs in mirror armors can kick off experienced players because you need to blow him 5-6 times with your saber  in certain effective range (no too close not too far) the strongest blow can be performed if your enemy moves towards your blow. Best weapons against armored bastard is one handed axe, two handed axe and sword, but the most effective one handed weapon is chekan (don't remember in english) - axe with very narrow blade.

Noobs cant kick experienced player even if they have good armor. In my multiplayer games i have killed many "noobs" in good armors just because they a) use slow weapons or b) they dont know how to block manually (this makes them noobs). I use always the fastest possible weapon.

i have never been killed by 2handed axe/sword in 1-1 duel , as the 2handed weapon is so slow that there is no way you cant block it. And because of that, no one should use 2handed weapon in multiplayer unless you fight in group and can kill enemy that is fighting with someone else.

It is a pain in the ass to have to hit high armored troops so many times but i like it sometimes. It is always fun to have big long duel with someone and win!

stop using swords vs. armour use maces, chekans axes pole axes etc, anything that isn't a sword. swords are crappy against armour for good reason but if you have to use one aim for the head with it(off hand swings or over heads help with this) as most people dont wear helmets. swedes really feel the hurt by this in multiplayer as their only decent anti-inf weapon are their pikes and halbreds everything else will be bounce city unless you get really solid hits

scar1981 said:
To NordHuskarl: can you give me a fencing lesson then?

Just play. In time you will hopefully learn to be good at blocking. Playing with hardest settings in single player is very good teacher because when you die -> you lose almost everything.

I was not trying to sound "pro"  :oops: but as we talked about "noobs in armors pwn experienced players" i think that noobs can never win (in 1-1 duel...) experienced player, only with some huge luck. In this game you cant just go and swing randomly (i see these randomly swingers too often) and hope you hit enemy. You have to read the opponent and be fast with mouse.

And here is some kind of tutorial for blocking although it is for warband but system is same. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9jHcZjWw9U

And for my own tip: fastest weapon wins. Fast weapon is not 1-hit killer but at the times when enemy uses 2 handed weapon, you have real advantage. If you both release attack at the same time, you will hit and interrupt enemy attack. Also fast weapon is harder to be blocked. And if blocking seems to be difficult, you can always take shields that dead archers have dropped. Only bad thing about fast 1handed weapons are that if enemy has huge armor or shield, it is going to take some time to take him down. Aim for the head.

NordHuscarl said:
scar1981 said:

Noobs cant kick experienced player even if they have good armor. In my multiplayer games i have killed many "noobs" in good armors just because they a) use slow weapons or b) they dont know how to block manually (this makes them noobs). I use always the fastest possible weapon.

i have never been killed by 2handed axe/sword in 1-1 duel , as the 2handed weapon is so slow that there is no way you cant block it. And because of that, no one should use 2handed weapon in multiplayer unless you fight in group and can kill enemy that is fighting with someone else.

It is a pain in the ass to have to hit high armored troops so many times but i like it sometimes. It is always fun to have big long duel with someone and win!

I can usually kill them too, it just annoys me that my sword bounces off and it takes 3 times as long to kill them.

NordHuscarl said:
scar1981 said:
To NordHuskarl: can you give me a fencing lesson then?

Just play. In time you will hopefully learn to be good at blocking. Playing with hardest settings in single player is very good teacher because when you die -> you lose almost everything.

I was not trying to sound "pro"  :oops: but as we talked about "noobs in armors pwn experienced players" i think that noobs can never win (in 1-1 duel...) experienced player, only with some huge luck. In this game you cant just go and swing randomly (i see these randomly swingers too often) and hope you hit enemy. You have to read the opponent and be fast with mouse.

And here is some kind of tutorial for blocking although it is for warband but system is same. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9jHcZjWw9U

And for my own tip: fastest weapon wins. Fast weapon is not 1-hit killer but at the times when enemy uses 2 handed weapon, you have real advantage. If you both release attack at the same time, you will hit and interrupt enemy attack. Also fast weapon is harder to be blocked. And if blocking seems to be difficult, you can always take shields that dead archers have dropped. Only bad thing about fast 1handed weapons are that if enemy has huge armor or shield, it is going to take some time to take him down. Aim for the head.
In wfas multiplayer noobs try to fight not 1 on 1 but 2 or 3 on 1 and throw granades, that should be totally restricted on servers. Thats why it is hard to train fencing

Back
Top Bottom