I need an experienced MP player to explain this to me

Users who are viewing this thread

lockefeer

Sergeant at Arms
So in warband, when I parried someone and attacked right after, I would hit them before they could hit me. Basically, after I parried it was my turn to attack. In bannerlord however, I parry someone and attack immediately after, but they usually hit me again before I'm able to get a hit. Same weapon. How does this work?

It sounds like they are taking the initiative away from you. There are several factors at work: passive block stun, stances, movement, in-swing rotation, swing direction, animations (which have large arcs), heavy attacks, and quick attacks.

Passive block stun: If you are holding block for a while, lets say as soon as you can tell where he is swinging, he will be able to attack again faster than if you were to active block.

Active block: If you block his attack at the last moment it will cause him to have a slightly higher "stun" duration - so he will have to wait a bit longer before attacking again. I call them timed blocks because it makes more sense to me but TaleWorlds seems to call them active blocks.

Movement: if he is running around you and you aren't reacting to that with new positioning he can either hit you first or get you to put up the wrong block while trying to panic turn at the last second.

Stances: stances effect swing speed, combo speed, combo animation in some cases, block speed (may be just a feeling, can't confirm for sure), and how much damage your shield takes while blocking. Movement speed while swinging used to be different depending upon stances, but they either removed this or reduced it to an amount that is unnoticeable.

In-swing rotation: You've probably noticed that, unlike warband, you can rotate a ridiculous amount during a swing.

Swing direction: Depending on stance you're going to get faster attacks from one side. By itself this shouldn't be stealing the initiative from you, but a lot of little parameters like this can add up. If i'm in right stance (left foot forward) my left swing will be faster than it is in the other stance.

Animations: Swing animations in Bannerlord are larger than they were in Warband. This is why you can hit people who are to your side, or with some weapons behind you. A factor that contributes to this is that attacks hardly ever bounce in Bannerlord. I can hit with the very beginning of my swing and do damage. Patch 1.5 seemed to lower the amount of already rare bounces. They really only happened as a result of player error (weapon choice and attack angle).

Heavy attacks: If you hold for even a moment it makes the attack slower and heavier. This does more damage depending on how long you hold.

Quick attacks: Tapping attack and not holding at all results in faster attacks.

Some more obscure parameters may be contributing as well, but I think these are the important ones.

Last edited:
It depengs, btw by Parry you mean Block right?
So first of all you could get hit from chain attack, which will be faster than your respond, ( chain attack are combo attacks with attacking from behind animation), you could get git with a normal-boosted attack ( like in warband you can increase a little bit a speed of attack by camer movement), it can also be a chamber if you didn't notice that, it can be stance difference or just a simple "spam" which exists from 1.5.0 patch.

That's all what I am thinking about, probably there are few other aspects which could make you get hit, instead of letting you hit the enemy.

No, not a chain attack because this happens right after I block their strike. If they get blocked they can't chain attack. Imagine someone spamming lmb and you block them but they hit you again before you can hit them.

It's definitely a lot more noticeable on this patch. I think a lot of it the positioning of the players, ie. if you're standing to the right hand side of a player he can just continue to spam right attacks as you're standing closer to the start of his swing animation, and it can be extremely difficult to break out of that spam unless you manage to reposition yourself. That can't be the total issue though as it didn't seem to be as big of a problem with the previous patches. Does get very annoying though and another reason why 2handers are out of control at the moment.

Its the ****ty swing speeds that got adjusted in the latest patch. Most fast/weak 1 handers can outspam you, and a lot of the 2 handers can do so aswell with the proper footwork. It will probably get patched, it's kind of cancerous.

Its the ****ty swing speeds that got adjusted in the latest patch. Most fast/weak 1 handers can outspam you, and a lot of the 2 handers can do so aswell with the proper footwork. It will probably get patched, it's kind of cancerous.
TW confirmed on a glitch report thread that the hilt spam was intended like this so i guess not

The hilt spam is not that much of an issue since if they facehug they have a very high chance of dealing 1-2 dmg, the problem is that the values of weaker weapons have been adjusted so much that they allow all weapon directions to be spammed one after the other. have not noticed hilt spam that much tho, ill try it

The hilt spam is not that much of an issue since if they facehug they have a very high chance of dealing 1-2 dmg, the problem is that the values of weaker weapons have been adjusted so much that they allow all weapon directions to be spammed one after the other. have not noticed hilt spam that much tho, ill try it
You can do 15/20 dmg average with hilt spam

No, not a chain attack because this happens right after I block their strike. If they get blocked they can't chain attack. Imagine someone spamming lmb and you block them but they hit you again before you can hit them.
parry (active block) and blocking is different, just parry everything (its not a slight increase the stun doubles)

You can hit back against most attacks unless your opponent has better footwork. Make sure you are tapping LMB (quick attack) and turning slightly into the swing (moving and turning opposite from its direction). In particular, I don't think I've ever been spammed when just tapping right swings back at people, which I regard as a weakness in the combat.

Thanks guys. Also what's the duration for active block ? Do you tap it when they're about to hit you or do you hold it like passive block but with better timing ?

Thanks guys. Also what's the duration for active block ? Do you tap it when they're about to hit you or do you hold it like passive block but with better timing ?

I'd say it's something like 300ms? Has to be active as the attack lands. Similar to a parry (or chamber) in Mordhau.

You can also block stabs with a left/right active block.

Back
Top Bottom