I need a new calculator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Cymro

Grandmaster Knight
Well, the batteries in my Sharp EL-531W just decided to dissolve the terminals, leaving me with a dead calculator. Bastards. That calculator had been sufficient to do most things, but rather than bother trying to fix it (I did find it in a paper recycling bin after all :razz:) I decided to either buy that one again or go for a slightly more fancy calculator.

I found this one whilst trawling the web - it seems to have more features than you can shake a stick at , and is cheap too (seen it for about £8.99). If anyone's got any other suggestions for calculators under £20, please do post them. However, according to the JCQ (which includes the WJEC, OCR, Edexcel and fairly much all the others), it must not:
be designed or adapted to offer any of these facilities: - language translators; symbolic algebra manipulation; symbolic differentiation or integration; communication with other machines or internet.
Numeric differentiation or integration is fine though, apparently.

(Also, internet capable calculators? Do they exist outisde the twised minds of exam board regulators? :shock:)

Purchase TI Interactive if you own a laptop - it's very handy, if somewhat finicky. Catch me on the IRC if you have problems with it.

When looking for a calculator there are 6 major things it must have:

• A function which enables you to create a symbol that looks like a "P"
  • A function which enables you to create a symbol that looks like an "e"
  • A function which enables you to create a symbol that looks like a "n"
  • A function which enables you to create a symbol that looks like an "i"
  • A function which enables you to create a symbol that looks like a "s"
  • And a plus button

Then everybody will be your friend.

McFudge said:
When looking for a calculator there are 6 major things it must have:

• A function which enables you to create a symbol that looks like a "P"
  • A function which enables you to create a symbol that looks like an "e"
  • A function which enables you to create a symbol that looks like a "n"
  • A function which enables you to create a symbol that looks like an "i"
  • A function which enables you to create a symbol that looks like a "s"
  • And a plus button

Then everybody will be your friend.
Every bit more sophisticated calculator has all letters of the alphabet on it.

Cymro said:

and you should buy that one.  i have an older version casio similar to that and it never failed, and has all the features i need, and i do lots of statistics, probability and those kind of ****e.  mine didn't have integral calculation though, and it seems this one has.

if you can t find a cheaper one with the same features than buy that one.

and is there a calculator for matrix calculations, like determinants and all?  econometrics ftw!

Archonsod said:
Try re-creating Babbage's analytical engine. Remember to turn up to examinations an hour or two early to assemble it.
I believe there's also a rule which requires the calculator in question to fit on the desk... :razz:
dalai pasha said:
Cymro said:
and you should buy that one.  i have an older version casio similar to that and it never failed, and has all the features i need, and i do lots of statistics, probability and those kind of ****e.  mine didn't have integral calculation though, and it seems this one has.
Yeah, I can think of quite a few who've got one of those (fx 80 something), including someone who followed this to make it do integrals and stuff. Anyway, it's much the same price, and that hack only works on some models, so I'll probably end up with my first choice.

ill sell you my TI-89 Titanium.

i no longer need it because i finished high school

i bought it for $200

and ill sell it for $120 (negotiable)

im talking AUD here...

Back
Top Bottom