I love the idea of formations and commanding your units but it's lacking in it's current state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Daminos0

Recruit
I like the whole aspect of formations but different formations seem to make no difference in any way. aside from shield wall against archers, because if you don't order them to go into a shield wall many units seem to openly invite arrows into their faces.

Square formations don't really stop cavalry from charging through them rather effortlessly. the wedge formation is broken by both cavalry and infantry when they start charging to the enemy and the few times they did somewhat stay in formation it didn't have any effect at all. Same with circle formations. All both do is prevent your units from getting attacked in the rear.

I can make my own little separate groups of units which is definitely neat but also lacking. I can't specify that I only want 20 infantry and 30 archers for example. it just makes it's own mix. I would also love being able to decide which units go in the front and which in the back automatically, so have my 20 infantrymen soak up incoming projectiles in the front while the archers hide behind them fire back, that would make the whole command system so much more fun, interesting and effective, especially if the AI made use of formations in such a manner as well!

Being able to draw out a strategy before a battle would be great too, so instead of having to hurry and organize your army mid-battle you have... a template I suppose and your units start off in the groups, formations and locations you want them to, only on your starting side of the map ofcourse. It only makes sense as a commander.

Why is there also no bacing order? Like bracing for cavalry impact, putting your spears forwards and have the cavalry charge themselves to death. Front row crouchin, planting their spears into the ground and the back row holding their spears over the front row, also bracing for impact. A very typical way of defending against incoming cavalry throughout history. If I am not mistaken M&B WFAS would have units with pikes do this!

Please correct me if I am wrong about anything and thanks for reading!

TL;DR I wish the whole commanding aspect gives you more actual control over your units and formations and also to have the formations actually do something.

Back
Top Bottom