I knew this was coming, but is there any solution? [WON]

Users who are viewing this thread

bonez899 said:
Northcott said:
For my next campaign, I'm planning on doing a Nord character and going hardcore traditional Jarl... no fighting from horseback, goddammit.

Have you ever noticed that 90% of the Jarls in the game ride horses into battle? or do you mean traditional as in real life?

Not 90%, about 50%. But i started this game fighting with the traditional nordic armor, the banded armor, iron greaves, nordic swords and no horse too, and in the beginning i only had nordic troops fighting in my party.

bonez899 said:
Northcott said:
For my next campaign, I'm planning on doing a Nord character and going hardcore traditional Jarl... no fighting from horseback, goddammit.

Have you ever noticed that 90% of the Jarls in the game ride horses into battle? or do you mean traditional as in real life?

I mean traditional as in a cantankerous son of a ***** who refuses to do this new-fangled "horse riding" nonsense that the others have succumbed to... and when he's Marshal, goddammit, people will be ordered to dismount instead of embarass themselves like trying to fight like those south-lander dandies.

(Which is utter BS. He'll cave and keep a cavalry force just for dealing with those damned Khergits. Still won't ride a horse, though!)

Northcott said:
bonez899 said:
Northcott said:

I mean traditional as in a cantankerous son of a ***** who refuses to do this new-fangled "horse riding" nonsense that the others have succumbed to... and when he's Marshal, goddammit, people will be ordered to dismount instead of embarass themselves like trying to fight like those south-lander dandies.

(Which is utter BS. He'll cave and keep a cavalry force just for dealing with those damned Khergits. Still won't ride a horse, though!)

K was just wondering

Ethik Mantis said:
The thing is, i was very tired of having to do all the work, i couldn't for an entire month stop fighting the enemy off our borders, because if i did the Nordic empire would just fall appart, and aside from that, by the time i rebelled, the nords only had about 4 of the original lords, which means that sh*t was very unstable and our lords were always shifting factions.

Was the same with me.  Don't worry, I'm not branding you a traitor to Ragnar or anything, he can be much too aggressive for the good of the kingdom, and led us into a ton of stupid wars early on by overestimating our capacity to fight everyone at once.  We probably only held on because the other factions started concentrating on each other after we were nearly pushed into the sea.  Half my fellow Jarls are Khergits now, and I think I am a racist in Warband because I don't like seeing them at our feasts.  :lol:    Don't like seeing Swadians there either though.  I guess I'm just an all-round bigot, which is fine for a Nord.

But the "resolve a dispute" quests do seem to work, and we have an Old Guard of Jarls (Aedin, who's my father-in-law, Harald who is the best Marshall, Knuddar, me and a few others) who are all very powerful now, with large armies, very loyal to Ragnar, and close friends with each other.  Helping to get quarrelsome and pitiless Jarls kicked out of the faction early on can help too.  Make sure your friends get plenty of fiefs.

Northcott said:
How has fighting the Rhodoks fared for you?

I'm on default difficulty, so not playing it too difficult, but so far they are the only faction who give me real trouble on the battlefield and in sieges.  Those piercing damage crossbows mean I get deaths instead of injuries, and they are never stupid enough to charge into my traps, as the Khergits always do.  Instead, they seem to set up killzones for my troops - not fair!  That's supposed to be my job! 

I do try to use terrain as much as possible, but they are sneaky, and seem to use it too.  Cresting a hill into a wall of bolts is no fun.  Both their infantry and their crossbowmen are quite tough in melee.  They don't really do a lot of damage, but they can hold us back long enough for other crossbowmen to get more kills (which they do).

I think the Nords probably are the biggest threat to the Rhodoks, but they are also the biggest threat to us, and I just hate losing good men.  When we have armies of similar size, they are the only people I would ever consider running from, because I know four or so huscarls might actually die.  I respect them.  Next time I'll join them.

This was a cool thread, I enjoyed the mini-story so kudos OP!

As an aside, is it possible to start your own kingdom and then rebel and start another?  :lol:

Ethik Mantis said:
Won.

Finished the game with all fiefs of course, 47 lords (do not know if the khergit lords will switch to my faction) and an empty feeling. There isn't anything else to do, i own 6 towns, my weekly budget is through the roof, my treasury has almost 400.000 denars, etc.

Well, yay and nay to the khergits, they only got to be a serious kingdom after they took advantage of every weak, about to disappear faction but dispite that and when they got enough lords they became a good oponent (i had to strike down 600 men to take their last city, Tulga).

I think i'm almost reaching day 4000.. Well, now i won't reach day 4000 because i don't think i'm gonna play that save game any longer...

Yeah a little empty feeling at the end of the game there. I personally used it to spruce up the towns and start my edit mode career :smile:

Weird.. I thought the khergit lords would switch to my faction but apparently i was wrong. Still, if i ever start a new game, i will join once again the nords, because that's the only faction i can play along with.

Ethik Mantis said:
Weird.. I thought the khergit lords would switch to my faction but apparently i was wrong. Still, if i ever start a new game, i will join once again the nords, because that's the only faction i can play along with.

I'm glad for you, don't forget to choose the "retire" option before you end the game, to add immersion and see your feats and above all, how many kills do you have after so many days ingame. :lol:

This thread was a great read!

I too am curious about how many kills you have... and to think I thought 200 days in game was a long time...

Orangejuice789 said:
This thread was a great read!

I too am curious about how many kills you have... and to think I thought 200 days in game was a long time...

Meh, 200 days ain't a long time really. I spend half of my entire campaign[2500 days or something] recruiting and walking  :roll:

C'mon you gotta be kidding me, i finished the game with all the lands, i'm king and i have a ton of lords under my kingdom, and what does this retirement thing say? That i had enough intelligence to buy a few shops and warehouses in Shariz and i became rich and highly respected because of my trading skills.  :roll:

Captured Joe said:
That's the price for betraying the Nords and helping the Khergit barbarians.

Did not betray by free will, i had to move on because the nords were a lost cause (i still have the save before i turned and created my own kingdom, maybe i'll go play that now), and i also didn't helped the khergit idiots, i hate 'em, stupid little horse puss's, running around with their horse, shooting arrows and fleeing away, those cowards!

Back
Top Bottom