I have some questions about Bloc

Users who are viewing this thread

How is it possible that a single person, shows a whole company, what would be possible if they would care about their game?

Sure, most of his mods are "just" some proofs of concepts, some mods just showed that things are not possible as TW claimed.

How can a single guy make the impossible possible? And adds stuff to the game the whole community demands from TW (serving as a soldier), while TW claims they listen to feedback but deny things like that?

I don´t understant this. Maybe LC can explain?

Yes, I will explain. Bloc does not need to worry about long term gameplay compatibility or stability.

I do admire him and what he has done, and would love to see some of those features in the game.

Yes, I will explain. Bloc does not need to worry about long term gameplay compatibility or stability.
Yes, sure. That´s of course a valid reason. But his "serve as a soldier" mod worked, no crashes, no impact on the sandbox experience?!

You could install the mod, and don´t serve as a soldier and the game would be the same as vanilla Bannerlord.

EDIT:

I mean not more crashes than vanilla.

Archery competition crashing pottery vs long gameplay stability/compatibility? I see no issue. Maybe others do 🤔

Archery competition crashing pottery vs long gameplay stability/compatibility? I see no issue. Maybe others do 🤔
Keep in mind, Legionarys that can throw a Pila can destroy the whole game. So it makes of course more sense that they use a Pila like a Spear instead of giving them actually a Spear or make the Pila throwable. But what do I know....

Pila are sooo anachronistic that it hurts my history buff eyes 😁
Another mod I like from Block is deserters after battle is over. We wants it..WE NEEDS IT!

TW claims they listen to feedback
They do listen to us, yet, their superiors seem to reject the majority of the ideas for the reasons I can't really comprehend.

@MRay once mentioned, that he brought up the loadouts at one of their meetings, but this was rejected. Question is - why? How on Earth would it harm our experience, if that would've been added to the game? I'm sure there are a few more examples of such rejections...

Seems like the superiors have their own "vision" which should by no means be harmed by our wishes and suggestions...

Yes, sure. That´s of course a valid reason. But his "serve as a soldier" mod worked, no crashes, no impact on the sandbox experience?!

You could install the mod, and don´t serve as a soldier and the game would be the same as vanilla Bannerlord.
They do listen to us, yet, their superiors seem to reject the majority of the ideas for the reasons I can't really comprehend.

@MRay once mentioned, that he brought up the loadouts at one of their meetings, but this was rejected. Question is - why? How on Earth would it harm our experience, if that would've been added to the game? I'm sure there are a few more examples of such rejections...
Probably because other people don't want to own and maintain that code.

That's the pettiest reason possible. Someone made you a feature from scratch, solved all or most of the problems, and all you need to do now is to maintain it and fix any reported bugs. Given the quality of code expected from Bloc, there won't be much bug-fixing needed for his code.
It brings great benefit for very small risk.
I wouldn't be so sure about the prototype features that need to worked into robust production features, they may need serious work (which is usually stated by Bloc too). But they can simply hire Bloc to finish them to production level quality. He usually knows what remains to be done.

nah i would still prefer that 1on1 spear fight from release VS shooting pots or turning left in a circle on a horse. That fight is still the best thing i have ever played in any video game. 10 out of 10 for sure mad respect for Taleworlds.

How is it possible that a single person, shows a whole company, what would be possible if they would care about their game?

Sure, most of his mods are "just" some proofs of concepts, some mods just showed that things are not possible as TW claimed.

How can a single guy make the impossible possible? And adds stuff to the game the whole community demands from TW (serving as a soldier), while TW claims they listen to feedback but deny things like that?

I don´t understant this. Maybe LC can explain?

Doing stuff in a disorganised team is a lot, lot slower than just doing it on your own. If there is miscommunication you have to do the same things over and over until your managers approve it. Having done a lot of art gigs over the years (some for video games), you spend about 2 hours doing the drawing, 5-6 hours going back and forth about what amendments need to be made, and another 5-6 hours making small edits or redoing it. It's just the nature of group work.

Also a modder has to do everything on their own. This filters out people who aren't good self-motivated coders, so any modder you see is going to be an exceptional coder. But if you put Bloc in a company with large numbers of managers and supervisors, even that ridiculous sex mod would probably take him months.

"They can't because of compatibility/stability" is such a cop out. TW isn't even trying. They just say "not possible" or "we value your feedback", and then multiple mods prove that to be untrue/a lie or their refusal to acknowledge or do anything asked, proves the later is also untrue/a lie. It's not at all about compatibility or stability, otherwise non-paid modders wouldn't be able to do it. It is about them not wanting to do something they think doesn't align with their "vision" of Bannerlord.

That's even worse than incompetency, in my opinion.

I'm starting to sense a Bethesda attitude from TW. They want to develop a 'functional', but pretty bare-bones game "for the community", so that modders can take over and deliver a better experience.
Most of their comments seem to be more lip service than anything. And when you question them directly about things (like why equipment loadouts are badly done, or why cavalry can't couch a lance or hit a stationary brick wall), they avoid answering.

But his "serve as a soldier" mod
That mod is not Bloc's by the way, but your points still stand.

I think I can help answer your questions. Independent developers don't have to follow all these bull**** procedures the software development industry has. They can just code, run the game, test their stuff, and adjust or fix what's not suitable, in one process. No need to document and review every single change and wait for some dude to look at your code and approve it or bla bla bla. They will fix things better because the issue is still hot and fresh in their mind. In a company, a developer might be fixing an issue they made two weeks ago, long after they've forgotten all the little contextual information they need to effectively fix it.

Another reason is that companies can recruit idiots, but modders can't. You can't join a modder's project if you're an idiot, and you won't be a modder if you can't mod well, so the only ones who mod are ones who actually have the skill. Companies tho? They can just broadcast hey we need coders, and coders of various skill levels will come together, and they will judge them by their meaningless titles and "achievements" and pick the cheapest one. Then it turns out the new coder can't code for **** and breaks stuff or implements stuff poorly. Now, combine this with the previous paragraph and you get development hell.

Edit: Oh lol I made pretty much the same points as James above.

I don't think that Taleworlds follows its own quality processes and certainly never heard of them doing code reviews. I'm sure they have in place a lot of processes that are sensible, but it seems no one makes sure they are done and done well, which is why every patch introduces many new problems. So it's down to management and oversight.
In principle, a team of mediocre programmers can make a better Bannerlord if managed properly, and they will even end up being competent.
Another reason is that companies can recruit idiots, but modders can't. You can't join a modder's project if you're an idiot, and you won't be a modder if you can't mod well, so the only ones who mod are ones who actually have the skill.
You would be surprised what an incompetent modder can do with sheer will power. :grin:
However, it's true that top modding teams don't tolerate incompetence and choose top talent.

Back
Top Bottom