I have found the solution for ryzen 2xxx series and new gen multi core CPUs underperforming in massive battles, went from 30 to 90 fps with this!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

So we all know warband doesn't use multiple cores well yada yada, but actually alot of people were recommending to turn ON force single threading.
Here's how I can now finally play and enjoy massive PoP battles:

- I lightly overclocked my ryzen 2700x (gpu gtx 1080ti) from 3.7 to 4.0
- Using process lasso or the task manager affinity to set used CPU's 0,2,4,6,8,10,12,14, the odd numbers are virtual cores so untick those as older games don't use them well and cause negative effects! Process lasso can automate it for warband every time you start it up.
- TURNING OFF FORCE SINGLE THREADING AND ALLOWING THE GAME TO USE THE MULTIPLE PHYSICAL CORES (0,2,4,6,8,10,12,14)
- Set warband to high priority in process lasso or task manager

and voila, now I can enjoy my massive PoP battles at 450 units instead of slideshow game. Never thought it was possible because of old engine blabla, but after countless hours of research and testing I fixed it!!!

Last edited:
Oh, interesting! I've been looking for a solution on how to set up my hardware in favor of Mount & Blade myself as well, but I haven't seen this approach yet (didn't do much searches either as I was more busy with tweaking). Thanks, I'll try it out!

I tried. Max graphic everything 500 units battle. No difference at all.
I'm Intel btw. I guess Intel users have smarter cores.
what intel processor do you have? If it's older gen ofcourse it's not going to do anything since you're not supposed to change any settings with older gen intel CPUs.
The above fixes are for newer Ryzen generation CPU's who have multiple cores, which don't run well with warbandl without tweaking

That CPU is outdated as hell. The tweaks I posted are for known performance issues with the very popular and new gen multi core CPUs like Ryzen 7 series which have 14 cores. Ofcourse these changes aren't going to do **** with an ancient 2.80 ghz cpu with 4 cores. With your cpu you want to use ALL the 4 physical cores, only thing you could do to boost performance with that is overclocking to 3.80, but I dont recommend doing that if it's a laptop build and even then if it's old it will just fry... Honestly kinda funny how you tried this with your cpu, dont think you have any idea how computer parts work XD

Last edited:
Your CPU may have 100 cores, but Warband will use only one of them heavily and another one a bit.

On my i7-4770k system always automatically assigns this more demanding calculation to the physical core, so manually restricting CPU make no change.

It seems that for Ryzens this calculations may be performed on the suboptimal thread or passed between threads too often and manual tweaks may help in this case.

CPU usage was the 1st thing I have checked in Bannerlord and was very pleased seeing game spreaded equally over all 8 threads.

Your CPU may have 100 cores, but Warband will use only one of them heavily and another one a bit.

On my i7-4770k system always automatically assigns this more demanding calculation to the physical core, so manually restricting CPU make no change.

It seems that for Ryzens this calculations may be performed on the suboptimal thread or passed between threads too often and manual tweaks may help in this case.

CPU usage was the 1st thing I have checked in Bannerlord and was very pleased seeing game spreaded equally over all 8 threads.
Many people with new gen ryzen cpus wonder why performance is so bad on massive warband battles, and now this is the solution. You dont use force single threading and use the even (physical cores), the combination of these tweaks will fix it. You do not understand how many people are suffering from poor performance on newer rigs but alot of them just roll with it because they think it's normal... This combination of tweaks increases that performance by 300%. This again is not meant for an i7 4770k, and old generation intel cpus. Ryzen 7's are the new beasts on the market these days if you havent been living under a rock

I am not sure why OP treats every response as a personal threat. All I am saying is:
- Intel CPU (at least older ones) seems to better schedule Warband process then Ryzen (higher chance that game will be assigned to the logical core and passed between cores),
- Warband uses max 1.2 threads even on his 16 threads Rysen (after reading OP message someone may think that having more cores will help, which is not the case as 4 physical cores are enough for Windows + Warband).

Knowing last point I would go even further with optimizations in this section:
"... set used CPU's 0,2,4,6,8,10,12,14 ..."
Due to how Ryzen processors are build - few small chiplets connected by infinity fabric - not all physical cores have the same performance as some are located further away, which increases delays.
I would assign physical cores one by one to Warband to check which one gives the best performance (HWiNFO64 + Fraps to record CPU/GPU usage and FPS). Then assign top two to Warband.

It is quite funny as in Bannerlord peoples has opposite problem. New game uses all threads so e.g. Blender rendering done at the same time takes more time. Players restricts game to only e.g. 8 threads.

So we all know warband doesn't use multiple cores well yada yada, but actually alot of people were recommending to turn ON force single threading.
Here's how I can now finally play and enjoy massive PoP battles:

- I lightly overclocked my ryzen 2700x (gpu gtx 1080ti) from 3.7 to 4.0
- Using process lasso or the task manager affinity to set used CPU's 0,2,4,6,8,10,12,14, the odd numbers are virtual cores so untick those as older games don't use them well and cause negative effects! Process lasso can automate it for warband every time you start it up.
- TURNING OFF FORCE SINGLE THREADING AND ALLOWING THE GAME TO USE THE MULTIPLE PHYSICAL CORES (0,2,4,6,8,10,12,14)
- Set warband to high priority in process lasso or task manager

and voila, now I can enjoy my massive PoP battles at 450 units instead of slideshow game. Never thought it was possible because of old engine blabla, but after countless hours of research and testing I fixed it!!!
I have just seen this post, (not been playing POP for a while, just started again), and I have been using Lasso for a number years for other programs, a great utility, but for some reason never tried it with Warband. Many thanks for the heads up, I am sure it will work.

Back
Top Bottom