I have 38 unwounded soldiers in party, so why does i only get 8 soldiers in looter cave battle??

Users who are viewing this thread

Because bringing whole army would prevent you from getting in unseen. It's supposed to be an ambush.
Gameplay wise bandit hideouts are designed to give you small scale battle experience in the game that is mostly about huge battles. Therefore limit.
It's also takeover from Warband.

Thank You for answering, but that's weird and simply not in order - it does not say that anywhere, and why would i need to hire soldiers when the game at random points desires to take them away from me!!??
I understand the concept of the arena being me as a solo player, but those other "modes"?? At least warn me before i do them!

Because it is a hideout so if you come with all your men, they would see it and flee in the woods and you'd never know who is their leader.

So the concept is to surprise them with a small group of elite units at night to get to their leader.

I would advise you to put your companions at the top of your party list under your character ( in the party menu, you can change the order of units ) and equip them with crossbows or bow or javelins.

During the hideout mission, press f4 to have them fire at will then place them in good positions and then go ahead of them to lure the bandits to them.

Against forest bandits it is tricky though, if you re good with ranged weapons you can take a few from long range but make sure your guys got shield and rush them with shields up

Because it is a hideout so if you come with all your men, they would see it and flee in the woods and you'd never know who is their leader.

The leader walks up to you like a gangsta rapper from the mid 2000s and challenges you to a duel. He makes no attempt to run away or anything. He's like "OI OI CHAP, LOOKS LIKE YOU KILLED ALL THE PEOPLE I'VE HUNG OUT WITH FOR THE LAST FEW MONTHS, HOW ABOUT A DUEL?"

There is no reason, it's just a contrived way to make the player fight these tiny psuedo-stealth battles. A much better system would be to have an actual stealth mechanic where if you get caught they start to run away, or to allow you to take as many guys as you want but the more you take the less likely you are to get loot. Limiting you to a handful arbitrarily is just too artificial to be fun.

Yeah lol lets just say he cannot flee at that point and lose face with his men and usually you have about 4-6 guys left and he has between 3-5 so maybe he still thinks he can win so he walks to you for the duel offer :smile:

Yeah it is true it could have been handled differently , like for instance giving a hideout some sort of fortifications so that you can have mini sieges early game instead of having to clear some campfires, it would be more fun perhaps.

I like small scale battles personally though, so i would appreciate more content with bandits and city thugs.

Hopefully the devs will add the possibility to ambush armies as well in the future because that is IMO an important feature missing.

Last edited:
Thank You for answering, but that's weird and simply not in order - it does not say that anywhere, and why would i need to hire soldiers when the game at random points desires to take them away from me!!??

It could be better described in the info, I agree. May be devs just took it for granted that player will understand it from previous games. Or may be it's because game is Early Access and info will be fleshed out better later.

I would advise you to put your companions at the top of your party list under your character ( in the party menu, you can change the order of units )

Companions always join the hideout attack, unless injured below 10% health. Doesn't matter what position on the unit list they are. Generic units however have higher chance to spawn, closer to the top of the list they are. So putting soldiers that you want to join you at the top of the list helps.

The leader walks up to you like a gangsta rapper from the mid 2000s and challenges you to a duel. He makes no attempt to run away or anything.

He can't run away or anything, he's cornered. Besides since you brought just couple of troops, he can still evaluate his chances as reasonable. And duel is actually good way for him to get out alive.

Last edited:
If he's cornered why can't you just bring all your cavalry and ride through killing everyone?

He is not technically cornered yet because the cavalry is at the camp protecting your bagage train with the rest of the army and not aware yet that the stealth op was a success.

The Bandit chief just has to fight for honour and his place as a leader because otherwise he would be lynched by the other bandits and branded a coward who fled from 5 guys even though all his bandits men fought to the death to protect the hideout.

He is not technically cornered yet because the cavalry is at the camp protecting your bagage train with the rest of the army and not aware yet that the stealth op was a success.

The Bandit chief just has to fight for honour and his place as a leader because otherwise he would be lynched by the other bandits and branded a coward who fled from 5 guys even though all his bandits men fought to the death to protect the hideout.

Shouldn't the fact that we have to come up with these ultra-specific stories prove that the current in-game logic for this mission is really silly and immersion breaking?

It'd be nice if you could choose yourself how to go about it.

Assassination: MC goes in by himself and fights a 1 on 1 with the leader in his cave. Req: 100 Roguery,
Ambush: What we have now. .
Annihilation: Charge the enemy with full army in pitched fight.

Well, funniest part with that mission is that they thought it would be super-stealthy if they only remove "order shouting"..

By the way, they do have some sorta stealth mechanics in the game - they are not done yet but they are probably planning something

Shouldn't the fact that we have to come up with these ultra-specific stories prove that the current in-game logic for this mission is really silly and immersion breaking?

Yes but we roleplay with what we have :smile:

Not sure it silly to be fair though, it is just barebone for now in EA.

But the idea of having the player fight small scale engagements is good IMO, it just needs to be fleshed out but i am sure bandit hideouts will be improved at some point because it is not popular as it is.

They could add new maps with a proper hideout, like either small wooden fortifications in a forest or some tunnel complex, something more interesting than the desert bandit map perhaps.

Would be nice to give the chance to the player to fight mini sieges early game with basic ballistas at best for siege weapons.

If they don't redo the entire thing it would be good if there was some logic to how many you took and who you took for a camp raid. It could be a base 5 +1 per every point of cunning or have a perk in tactics/scouting/roguery that let you take more men on the raid.

Improvements in Hideouts is listed in the improvements they intend to bring to single-player.

FYI - There is no Renown penalty for refusing to duel with the big guy. Just say, "Nah, die, dog!" and rush him. If I'm carrying a 2-hand ax when I enter the boss fight, I can usually swing and kill him before he draws his weapon. Much more sporting to just back up and watch him charge my whole line! ... But you should note before deciding how to handle the fight whether his lieutenants are carrying bows. They can put a hurt on your squad before being engaged.

The number of soldiers you take should be by choice and reflected with greater renown if you take fewer soldiers

EG: take 10 soldiers and gain 20 renown as you deliberately took only a few soldiers taking a personal risk
take 25 soldiers gain 10 renown as you took a reasonable number to deal with the number of bandits
take 60 soldiers gain 5 renown as you overwhelmed them with numbers and took little risk

I don't remember: were the number of bandits that can spawn in the hideouts limited in Warband? Because the problem that I'm having in Bannerlord when it comes to bandit hideouts isn't so much that I'm limited in the number of units I can bring (although that's part of it), but that the bandits don't seem to be limited in the number that can spawn in the hideout, and the number in each group. I've seen hideouts with 40 and 50 bandits total in them, sometimes with 25 or so in one group. This means that after a certain point in the game, I stop trying to eliminate the hideouts because it's impossible. Then the bandits spiral out of control and mess with the villagers and caravans in the area and screw up the economy. It doesn't help that you have very limited control over who can come with you: you're guaranteed all uninjured companions that are in your party, but you could spawn with a recruit just as easily as with a top-tier troop. Ten against 25 is very poor odds, even more so if you have more large groups to get through before you even get to the boss fight.

A few things would help:
  1. Limit the number of bandits that can spawn in a lair, both in total, and in each group within.
  2. Allow the PC to bring a slightly higher number of units (maybe 12-15) and allow them to choose exactly who goes, to ensure top-tier troops and a reasonable balance of infantry and archers.
  3. Slow down the rate at which bandit lairs respawn on the map.
  4. Allow the PC to establish patrols around their fiefs, maybe by assigning a companion to lead a party within a certain area.

Back
Top Bottom