I don't understand why I can't lead an army of companion parties when I am independent.

Users who are viewing this thread

I would like the ability to create parties with my companions and lead them when I am not attached to a kingdom. That way I can improve my leadership when I am either playing as a mercenary or not connected to any kingdoms in any way. Just curious what the reasoning is behind not allowing players to do this?

If you were able to form armies when you are independent that could be exploited too easily. You could essentially just snipe one or more holdings, pay for peace, wait for the next opportunity and repeat.

As a merc, you cant actually create additional parties so I guess it has just been decided that it should not be a part of the merc experience.

You can if you use a mod called party overhaul, you can gave several orders including joining to you, and it made a army.

If you were able to form armies when you are independent that could be exploited too easily. You could essentially just snipe one or more holdings, pay for peace, wait for the next opportunity and repeat.
You can do that anyways though. Although doing it too much can drive the price up a lot, so you're better off planning to just take the faction down.
I think a even better solution is just to give leadership with the same bonus (depends on average tier of units I think) to a party with no army, that way you would still get decent leadership. Of course it would still be more to make an army if you packed it full of high tier troops. I guess I want both.

You can do that anyways though. Although doing it too much can drive the price up a lot, so you're better off planning to just take the faction down.
I think a even better solution is just to give leadership with the same bonus (depends on average tier of units I think) to a party with no army, that way you would still get decent leadership. Of course it would still be more to make an army if you packed it full of high tier troops. I guess I want both.
Fair enough, I just saw your guide, I have never actually considered that approach:smile:

In fact, pretty much the polar opposite. Huge numbers, spread the enemy thin and overrun them.

You can if you use a mod called party overhaul, you can gave several orders including joining to you, and it made a army.
I prefer them to just follow with 4 parties in endgame :smile: no massive speed malus and then call to army before a fight or while standing inside of enemies already hehe. Kinda exploity yeah. Play with calradia expanded kingdoms and.... the rhodoks troop rooster is just awful^^ though it makes no sense that an army cannot send a vanguard to stop escaping enemies.

As a merc, you cant actually create additional parties so I guess it has just been decided that it should not be a part of the merc experience.

Technically you can with mods. At least with your own clan anyways.

I would like the ability to create parties with my companions and lead them when I am not attached to a kingdom. That way I can improve my leadership when I am either playing as a mercenary or not connected to any kingdoms in any way. Just curious what the reasoning is behind not allowing players to do this?

Because you must join a tard AI faction and deal with tard AI fellow lords and tard AI Leader ... How dare you want independence !!

This is where we could talk about government types .. but won't .. LOL

They are your companions. You are paying their soldiers wage but you cannot order them to come with you because it is exploitable while you can become master level blacksmith in a year or even in a shorter time to make millions of denars in the market because this is not a exploit, I guess.

A game defies common sense is not a good game at all.

Pretty much this.

You can if you're really opportunistic just take lightly defended Towns & Castles (usually after a siege) with a big enough party. Then provided you have enough dough, just sue for peace (usually 100K+). Could also try taking Rebel Settlements, but that isn't really any easier.

The advantage of not forming a Kingdom is no one will declare war on you, which is really helpful if you just want to trade and make money. The disadvantage is you can't form Armies i.e. pose any serious threat to the existing Kingdoms.

Ideally if you want to form your own Kingdom it's helpful to join another first to make some allies/friends to join you later. You don't have to, but it's generally the way to go. If could form Armies as an independent clan it'd be way too easy for the player to just steam roll everyone else with a single big Army whenever opposing Kingdoms are weak or leave their fiefs under strength.

You can if you're really opportunistic just take lightly defended Towns & Castles (usually after a siege) with a big enough party.
Or you can just walk up to their most defended town and take that too! Oh no faction leader gonna stop me? What ever will I do? Your whole garrison can't stop me but you can Munchump? Please don't sally out either guys, I don't I would do in open combat......
DVVM8.jpg

What's that Sludvid, you have a problem with a rank 1 mercenary taking a town? I can't keep even it, w-why, h-how? St-st-sturgia never wins?! Maybe worry about keeping you head on and let me play the game wrong if I want to!
dlAOI.jpg

Then provided you have enough dough, just sue for peace (usually 100K+).
If anything, this is the problem. I don't recognize any real "challenge" difference having to talk to a faction leader and join their faction to be able to make an army of my own clan versus just doing it as a solo clan at rank 2, you need rank 2 to have second party and it's only 1 until you get rank 3 and so on. But being able to repeatable make peace by payment is a distinct advantage. That said you still have to take the fief, deal with any enemies that show up and fork over money (IME 200K typically), which should increase the more you do it (unless it's been broken by updates). Like if punk them once you can pay 200K for peace, but if you attack them again it should jump up a lot tp 500K and such, but it depends on their own situation and drops over time, so if you can handle their parties anyways, it's never a problem.
Could also try taking Rebel Settlements, but that isn't really any easier.
The big advantage here is once you defeat the rebels you have peace and you know what you're getting into, a garrison and few basic parties, no army going to interrupt you.

good now that I am able to take a stronghold and have to divide all of my soldiers because there is a limit, well I cannot give them instructions ... suddenly in the middle of a siege of a stronghold to try to establish myself my companions with their negative IQ cannot understand on their own that they must come and help me.
suddenly what had to happen happened, I don't have enough soldiers to take the city and I get captured while I technically have the advantage if my companions with their armies follow me

it will have to explain to me what is the best between able to create an army with your companions in an independent clan or the fact of not being able and having to fend for yourself, in this case I will even add : what it's the use clan system ?

and it is so not logical to be able to give any order to your own companions of your clan as long just because you do not have a kingdom

Last edited:

It's the players choice if they want to do it or not, but if I'm paying for an army I better be able to summon the army.

I truly don't understand the "exploit" rational!!!
Exploit against whom? myself since this is a single player game?
Exploit against the AI....so?

It's the players choice if they want to do it or not, but if I'm paying for an army I better be able to summon the army.
I truly don't understand the "exploit" rational!!!
Exploit against whom? myself since this is a single player game?
Exploit against the AI....so?
Not to mention when you do join a faction at rank 2, not only can you make an army, but often the faction will just start piling fiefs on you without you having to siege them at all anyways. It's like TW have no concept of overall challenge or balance in the first place to be able to say what abilities would be "too much".

This is where you and I differ. Imho this is strategy not exploitation, smithing is an exploit because you can amass stupid quantities of denars without doing anything, but at least there is a risk involved in trying to take a town or castle. You can lose men and need to recruit and worry about garrisoning and probably have to worry about upgrades so the town functions properly because the ai can't seem to do that.

good now that I am able to take a stronghold and have to divide all of my soldiers because there is a limit, well I cannot give them instructions ... suddenly in the middle of a siege of a stronghold to try to establish myself my companions with their negative IQ cannot understand on their own that they must come and help me.
suddenly what had to happen happened, I don't have enough soldiers to take the city and I get captured while I technically have the advantage if my companions with their armies follow me

it will have to explain to me what is the best between able to create an army with your companions in an independent clan and the fact of not being able and having to fend for yourself, in this case I will even add : what it's the use clan system ?

and it is so not logical to be able to give any order to your own companions of your clan as long just because you do not have a kingdom
To you and the comments that follow. I did not make the system. I was just trying to explain what I think the rational for the system is; dont take it out on me:smile:

So, I shall recant. It might, by some, be viewed as exploitative because no one can declare war on you if you not a kingdom.

What can you actually do.

1) Do not be independent! Join a faction, conquer the stuff you want and then leave; as the overambitious and disloyal vassal that most of us are deep down.

2) Be independent and wait for a holding to rebel and then conquer it!

3) Be Ananda The Destroyer!

Last edited:
To you and the comments that follow. I did not make the system. I was just trying to explain what I think the rational for the system is; dont take it out on me:smile:

So, I shall recant. It might, by some, be viewed as exploitative because no one can declare war on you if you not a kingdom.

What can you actually do.

1) Do not be independent! Join a faction, conquer the stuff you want and then leave; as the overambitious and disloyal vassal that most of us are deep down.

2) Be independent and wait for a holding to rebel and then conquer it!

3) Be Ananda The Destroyer!

but precisely, the city that I besieged was a rebellious city but they are 350 inside !!! :xf-eek:

How do I do with 170 men ? I go back and forth to the other end of the map and I draw from the troops of my companions ?
(as I am an independent clan , I no longer have any fiefs and therefore no income, it is - 5000 coins every two days )

no for me that can't be the reason of this lack of companion order, or as usual taleworlds lacks logic

Last edited:
Not to mention when you do join a faction at rank 2, not only can you make an army, but often the faction will just start piling fiefs on you without you having to siege them at all anyways. It's like TW have no concept of overall challenge or balance in the first place to be able to say what abilities would be "too much".
They've only had 10 years to balance this game out, they'll eventually get to it.

Back
Top Bottom