I don't understand why I can't lead an army of companion parties when I am independent.

Users who are viewing this thread

but precisely, the city that I besieged was a rebellious city but they are 350 inside !!! :xf-eek:

How do I do with 170 men ? I go back and forth to the other end of the map and I draw from the troops of my companions ?
(as I am an independent clan , I no longer have any fiefs and therefore no income, it is - 5000 coins every two days )

no for me that can't be the reason of this lack of companion order, or as usual taleworlds lacks logic
I highly doubt that the intention is that you are supposed to be able to take a city with 170 men. It is not impossible, but it requires adapting to the challenge.

Why not just go with the standard solution. Join up with a faction and borrow men from them instead.

I highly doubt that the intention is that you are supposed to be able to take a city with 170 men. It is not impossible, but it requires adapting to the challenge.

Why not just go with the standard solution. Join up with a faction and borrow men from them instead.

why not join a faction for to take the city ? beh.. for create my own faction otherwise the city will belong to them, unless I forgot a rule and therefore I did not understand your plan.

170 soldiers being my group limit I can not bring more otherwise I am slowing down and the soldiers desert my group, so I give my soldiers stationed in my castles at my companions groups before leaving my elder faction.
My Clan is echelon 4, echelon 5 is in a very long time and just for winning a bonus of +15 limit of soldiers in the group, I see a city taken by a rebellion I would not have a better occasion.

Last edited:
but precisely, the city that I besieged was a rebellious city but they are 350 inside !!! :xf-eek:

How do I do with 170 men ? I go back and forth to the other end of the map and I draw from the troops of my companions ?
(as I am an independent clan , I no longer have any fiefs and therefore no income, it is - 5000 coins every two days )

no for me that can't be the reason of this lack of companion order, or as usual taleworlds lacks logic
I got 2 ways for you and a bonus,
1 normal good siege: As it is rebels, time is on your side, you can easily build 4 trebs and destroy their siege weapons and walls and build 4 orongars to use in the battle, then park you ranged in a good spot, infantry in front closer, and used ranged and orongars to kill at least1/2 the troops, then charge the infantry/cavalry in, then ranged, although TBH with the walls down, you troops are superior (I assume) and can just roll over the rebels, most likely.
2: Rambo, go into siege (no gear neaded) press 0 f1 f17 and retreat your party, now the enemy opens the gate and the infantry comes out to get you, kill them all, you're a master of horse archery aren't you? retreat if you run out of arrows, then ride in the open gate and sneak around shooting all the ranged units too, you're master sniper too right? Use dropped arrows or arrow barrel for refill, kill them all. This works fine on non-rebel towns to of course.
3: Bonus: Just use a small party like 50 mounted archers, there's a fair chance the enemy sallies out, slaughter them with superior tactics. retreat if needed, might not have enough arrows for 1 shot.

Now this is not at all an argument against being able to make armies as solo clan, in fact it's 100% for it since not being able to do so just removes option from the player and you can still take fiefs without it anyways. SO what's the point of shoe-horning the p layer into joining a faction to make an army (many just want the leadership) if they could just take over stuff anyways?

It's too easy and too boring and not fun. You join a faction and they just pile fiefs on you up to your eyeballs and you can cart around most of their faction forever. SO for me it's too easy, for some taking as solo seems too hard, making a army as independent could be in-between, you get some more fire power, but you have to pay for it still and it's just 1-3 parties, not a dozen!

Who cares, presumably their intentions have caused most of the problems and disappointments in the game. We want the game to get better and better.

why not join a faction for to take the city ? beh.. for create my own faction otherwise the city will belong to them, unless I forgot a rule and therefore I did not understand your plan.
If you are clan lvl is 4 and you dont have a bunch of holding already, you should be pretty sure to get the city.

Last edited:
It's too easy and too boring and not fun. You join a faction and they just pile fiefs on you up to your eyeballs and you can cart around most of their faction forever. SO for me it's too easy, for some taking as solo seems too hard, making a army as independent could be in-between, you get some more fire power, but you have to pay for it still and it's just 1-3 parties, not a dozen!
The traditional way is too easy and boring. The untraditional way is too hard. You humans...

I got 2 ways for you and a bonus,
1 normal good siege: As it is rebels, time is on your side, you can easily build 4 trebs and destroy their siege weapons and walls and build 4 orongars to use in the battle, then park you ranged in a good spot, infantry in front closer, and used ranged and orongars to kill at least1/2 the troops, then charge the infantry/cavalry in, then ranged, although TBH with the walls down, you troops are superior (I assume) and can just roll over the rebels, most likely.
2: Rambo, go into siege (no gear neaded) press 0 f1 f17 and retreat your party, now the enemy opens the gate and the infantry comes out to get you, kill them all, you're a master of horse archery aren't you? retreat if you run out of arrows, then ride in the open gate and sneak around shooting all the ranged units too, you're master sniper too right? Use dropped arrows or arrow barrel for refill, kill them all. This works fine on non-rebel towns to of course.
3: Bonus: Just use a small party like 50 mounted archers, there's a fair chance the enemy sallies out, slaughter them with superior tactics. retreat if needed, might not have enough arrows for 1 shot.
Hey, I already covered that under point 3.

"3) Be Ananda The Destroyer!"

Not to mention when you do join a faction at rank 2, not only can you make an army, but often the faction will just start piling fiefs on you without you having to siege them at all anyways. It's like TW have no concept of overall challenge or balance in the first place to be able to say what abilities would be "too much".
in fact at the present time I have already succeeded in my siege the solution that you have cited of using the trebuchets to destroy the defenses and ramparts was the one that I had succeeded in finding. ( but thanks anyway )
But I continued to talk about this event in my game because I find it a gameplay problem, at least I saw it that way when I found myself facing it, it's not even the fact of not being able to create an army in an independent clan, it is above all not being able to indicate orders to other groups, especially when the AI is stupid to the point of not making decisions by itself for help you.
as some have said on the issue of balancing I do not see how that would be relevant to prevent the player from "exploiting" in a SOLO game, we can already exploit the difficulty by reducing it to a minimum in the options, then why should we limit player choices in the name of " balancing " ?
now is it taleworlds which has not yet added the options or if their logic is on vacation ? :unsure:

I use to be an independent faction, which is great because .. no tardAI .. but it's very tough against Kingdoms with HUGE armies - 1,200 + . Yes you can take a settlement or 2 but artificial limit on companions means the biggest army you could probably make is around 600 ?? 200 for you and 100 each for 4 companion generals ?? Just enough troops to defend a siege (with artificial assistance from Simulated battles) but not much else.

This new campaign I decided to join a faction - Sturgia - Vikings, being a total blond wacist I am .. :grin: .. The game is easier .. but now I have to deal with TARD AI .. errrrrrr .. UG!

I'm still deciding which is worse ..

Pretty much this.

You can if you're really opportunistic just take lightly defended Towns & Castles (usually after a siege) with a big enough party. Then provided you have enough dough, just sue for peace (usually 100K+). Could also try taking Rebel Settlements, but that isn't really any easier.

The advantage of not forming a Kingdom is no one will declare war on you, which is really helpful if you just want to trade and make money. The disadvantage is you can't form Armies i.e. pose any serious threat to the existing Kingdoms.

Ideally if you want to form your own Kingdom it's helpful to join another first to make some allies/friends to join you later. You don't have to, but it's generally the way to go. If could form Armies as an independent clan it'd be way too easy for the player to just steam roll everyone else with a single big Army whenever opposing Kingdoms are weak or leave their fiefs under strength.
Edit: it appears the Age of Cheese is over, as of 1.7

As an independent Clan you can no longer take or "snipe" Towns or Castles. Kingdoms will declare war on you (the playerland lol) when you take a Castle that is theirs by Culture. I recall seeing this mentioned months ago, guess I shouldn't be surprised it finally happened.

So yeah I really don't see why the Player isn't allowed to form Armies. Granted it's not too hard to reach Clan Level 4.

True enough it did seem really odd Kingdoms would just leave you alone forever once you paid them like 200K. Like you guys really don't mind I took this Castle then? Not sure if other Kingdoms will attack if the Kingdom by Culture. Though I doubt with my current joke playthru I'll make it to a point where the Vlandians are no more, and no longer want their Castle back. I get the feeling other Kingdoms will attack me too, but maybe I'm wrong.

Today I stated a new sandbox game and joined the Aerai wen I got rank 2, just so can get Kamsheen and make an *army* for some leadership, all I do is make the clan party then put the troops back in my normal party, plus1 companion falling me, this lets me get the army bonus formula, without actually being slowed down or paying for extra troops.
But only days after I joined they give me a town they were sieging!! I didn't even do anything yet! It's like day 50 and I have town already and I didn't even have to siege it or fight an army or anything. I just steal troops and beat up korte.

Now don't get me wrong, this too should be balanced so it takes longer, I think there should be another step in vassalhood before they will give you fiefs and such., in fact I think the whole beginning of the game should be more drawn out. Getting to rank 2 can be incredibly fast and it doesn't feel as rewarding.
But that said, again, why is this okay when making my own army independently, adding a whopping +50 troops to my man power, would be too powerful?
It's only 50 because it's slim pickings on companions in this sandbox game and I'm not getting married so no husband. Getting married should be later too and/or be different, or let you marry a non-lord earlier to make bae-bae.

I ended up having to defend it pretty soon though, but the enemy is no match for my tactics of "shoot them from outside their range and retreat".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom