I CANT ENTER SETTLEMENTS!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Any of the settlements with a name that starts with "Empt...." are unfinished (or in some cases "EMPTy").  You can't access most of them at all, and the couple that you can will have serious problems.  Just avoid them.

I've had no problems (at least no game-breaking ones) with the 25-50% of the settlements with "proper names" (not starting with Empt...).  You need to keep in mind that it's a half-completed "work in progress" (not a finished mod), except that all progress stopped several years ago.  That means that several things which NEED to happen for the game to progress beyond its starting stages are not done.

My advice: give it a try for a few days to see what "might have been", and then find another completed mod to play.

That sucks.  :ohdear:  The concept sounded really good.  A shame when a mod gets that much completed and then fades away.  :cry:  Any others close to it.  I do not need major setting changes.  I just need something along these lines.

Basically, unless someone else takes over completion of the mod, or makes a similar mod for Warband (or Bannerlord, if it's ever released), your only option is to learn how to mod and finish it yourself.  I did that with another game, decades ago, and it's tedious at times, challenging at others, and occasionally very rewarding when something that you struggled to accomplish actually works.

In essence, it needs to have some of the "Empt-" villages completed, needs some kind of mechanism for mid-game and later development of multiple factions, and needs a major rebalance of trade.  Most of it actually works already, if you avoid the things that are obviously incomplete, but it kind-of runs out of any kind of goal or point once you've established your own town, since it's generally just you and the one major rival faction with the starting city (near what would be Praven in the vanilla game), while most of the other villages really never get off the ground.

Honved said:
In essence, it needs to have some of the "Empt-" villages completed, needs some kind of mechanism for mid-game and later development of multiple factions, and needs a major rebalance of trade.  Most of it actually works already, if you avoid the things that are obviously incomplete, but it kind-of runs out of any kind of goal or point once you've established your own town, since it's generally just you and the one major rival faction with the starting city (near what would be Praven in the vanilla game), while most of the other villages really never get off the ground.

Not that I would take over, but is fixing at least half the villages as simple as putting in the work to copy and past code or make sure check boxes are checked or unchecked?  Something like that I have no problem doing if I have the time, even if tedious, provided I have a cheat sheet.  If however I need to learn code from scratch or change the code significantly from one village or castle to the next, that just simply is not going to happen.  I guess basically I am asking how easy is it to mod M&B?

I have tried my hand at map making for HL Sven Co-op, but never really got out of the initial staging.  And I have made basically two games on a text based game creator called Quest.  But after up dates and changes that broke my game and apparent lack of focus or drive to continue, that was that for now at least anyway.  I am more a story writer than a designer.  I will never code nor ever animate and most likely never draw models either.

M&B uses what's called the "module system".  It converts between code that you can read and the nasty strings of numbers that the game actually uses.  Some of it makes sense, but there are a lot of quirks where if you change A in the one file, you have to change B in a different file to provide the rest of the info.

My guess is that you could probably clone a few of the existing competed settlements to fill in the "Empt..." ones, provided that you know what other things need to be changed as well.  I don't have even remotely enough familiarity with the system to attempt it, and don't have the ambition to dedicate the better part of a year of my life to learning it.  Beyond that, fixing the other incomplete or buggy pieces (or finishing a few of the half-completed villages which look promising) would be a step further.  Doing anything that involves new objects or people requires artistic talent as well as technical ability, and my own talents are somewhat limited (although far from non-existent).

With Bannerlord expected to be announced within the next year (people said that last year as well, and the year before), it's going to be difficult to get anyone already familiar with the system to get involved, since it's likely to become one step further obsolete on relatively short notice.  Bannerlord is expected to at least have substantially more village/town development opportunities than basic M&B, and might make a better modding platform for this kind of mod.

The NPCs in general for M&B at least original and Warband are pretty much brainless zombies walking around.  I suppose it is better than nothing, but since you can hot jump to different important places already and due to the boring NPCs, it is almost always more feasible to simply warp, which is a shame, because the towns and villages look terrific.

However sometimes the villages only get seen because you have to go in it on foot, there is no quick way to see the Elder.  Again if the townspeople actually went on with their daily lives instead of wandering into walls or aimless walking in and out of the village only to walk back again and again, it would be worth my while.  The two best games I can think of with a living breathing world that constantly updates itself is Morrowind and Shenmue.  Even as it is, M&B only concerns it self with about four or five questions and only a handful of the same response again and again for most generic NPCs.  Imagine playing a RPG that the hundreds of NPCs you encounter all say the exact same thing... it would be trash.

That is why this mod, among most of the others, really caught my attention.  I have no doubt they have cool looking textures, great models from other stories and movies, but how is the core game play?  Are the NPCs still just blah?  o_O  But yea I can see people holding off if something is around the corner.  Hopefully the village and town life will be more realistic and active.  I am not so much concerned with how great it looks, but plays.

Same brainless zombies as in the base game.  Pathing is apparently not done in all of the towns but is in others, so the NPCs WILL walk straight into the walls (or off the edge of a cliff) frequently in one town, and behave no worse than in the vanilla game in others.

There were a couple of really "out there" ideas tried for some towns, including one as a giant wooden platform built between a row of trees, but the NPCs seem to have trouble with falling off.  Another town was clearly mis-edited after the initial layout, so all of the structures are floating 100 feet or so above the ground.  There are some seriously broken unfinished scenes, which is a shame, because others turned out really well.

Back
Top Bottom