I can't do it. Combat is too wierd

Users who are viewing this thread

Seriously, people need to calm de F down about the class system, the combat is the real issue. Class system can become great if they add customization to it (more choices of perks), but the combat is completely demolishing the gameplay experience.
True dat; I've accepted the class system, but I definitely want more perks/weapons/armour so we're not all wearing uniforms (fine for imperial troops of course).

But I have hope for this game. I've been playing since 2006 in M&B beta (All Hail Zendar, Prince of Cities!) I think the problem is is that this is a passion project for Armagan, but he wants it played the way he wants it played. Still, since it is a passion project, he's not going to walk away.

He (or they) want to push teamwork more it seems. Which is why the only way to kill people is to smack em from behind or at least outnumber them. No more heroes taking on 4 or 5 guys and wrecking them.

But either community backlash will change their minds or modders will make the game we want when they can. And then we'll have fun!

It is a little disconcerting to see players who as far as I can tell were not part of the MnB community before Bannerlord tell veterans that played Warband for years and, most importantly, were part of the closed beta for Bannerlord that they "just need to get used to it". I think they are used to it by now :smile:.

i seriously hope that TW realise that the combat is fundamentally flawed. it is not simply a matter of parameter changes like AVRC mentioned, or small patches, new maps, new modes, skins, whatever else. these things will not make the game fun if the core elements of the combat remain flawed. i hate to say anything like "we told you so", because that kind of attitude is really quite childish and annoying, but it can't go without mentioning that since the very start of the alpha the core flaws were pointed out repeatedly by the testers. i and many others argued against many of the systems still in the game to this day, but the criticism was written off as coming from a small "veteran" core that just needed to get used to the much more "accessible" gameplay and features of Bannerlord. i don't think TW realised that those "veteran" forum users were actually a fairly good representation of what the majority of MP warband players thought of Bannerlord MP. none of the people i play with everyday use the forums, but i know their opinions on bannerlord are very similar to mine. some of the people i know from warband haven't even bought bannerlord because they don't think it's worth the money. frankly, if i had not received the game for free i would feel cheated out of my money given the product that was put out. i am grateful to TW for the copy of the game, but i struggle to have any faith or hope in the company that has repeatedly denied the community what they want and has repeatedly labelled their views as nothing more than a rose-tinted view of warband and a desire for warband 2.0, rather than as fair criticism of bannerlord. maybe eventually the game will be worth playing, but even with parameter changes, balance changes, class changes, gamemode changes and matchmaking improvements, the fundamental unpredictable elements will remain in the code and will continue to frustrate the enjoyment of many players. without a complete rethink and rework of the combat i do not see it succeeding in the long-term through small patches.

i seriously hope that TW realise that the combat is fundamentally flawed. it is not simply a matter of parameter changes like AVRC mentioned, or small patches, new maps, new modes, skins, whatever else. these things will not make the game fun if the core elements of the combat remain flawed. i hate to say anything like "we told you so", because that kind of attitude is really quite childish and annoying, but it can't go without mentioning that since the very start of the alpha the core flaws were pointed out repeatedly by the testers. i and many others argued against many of the systems still in the game to this day, but the criticism was written off as coming from a small "veteran" core that just needed to get used to the much more "accessible" gameplay and features of Bannerlord. i don't think TW realised that those "veteran" forum users were actually a fairly good representation of what the majority of MP warband players thought of Bannerlord MP. none of the people i play with everyday use the forums, but i know their opinions on bannerlord are very similar to mine. some of the people i know from warband haven't even bought bannerlord because they don't think it's worth the money. frankly, if i had not received the game for free i would feel cheated out of my money given the product that was put out. i am grateful to TW for the copy of the game, but i struggle to have any faith or hope in the company that has repeatedly denied the community what they want and has repeatedly labelled their views as nothing more than a rose-tinted view of warband and a desire for warband 2.0, rather than as fair criticism of bannerlord. maybe eventually the game will be worth playing, but even with parameter changes, balance changes, class changes, gamemode changes and matchmaking improvements, the fundamental unpredictable elements will remain in the code and will continue to frustrate the enjoyment of many players. without a complete rethink and rework of the combat i do not see it succeeding in the long-term through small patches.
I remember gibby and most of the Eu cohort seemed really excited and even defensive of the game a year or so ago. I truly do think you (gibby) came in with a positive outlook wanting to like the game which is something a lot of bannerlord defenders think is false (that people came in with open positive minds). Shame that it ended up this way

It's a common theme that people who hate the game now have supposedly hated the game forever. Not sure why people believe this. All it takes is one look at the archive from the beta to see it was never like this in the past

Oh, please, most people here including me have probably played the MP for many years, and are perfectly competent in Warband, and tend to do fine in Bannerlord, it's just incredibly unfun and infuriating to die for bull**** luck-based reasons instead of legitimate player mistakes, which seems to be at least half the time in Bannerlord. Pretty much everyone does amazing with the 2h Axe, it's because nobody can reliably block, and it's often always one-hit kill, so just get in a group and swing at the right moment, and bam, an instant kill. You probably haven't played Warband, and if you have, I doubt it was for very long.

I was playing Mount and Blade in 2005

I agree, there's really no coming back from the position they are in through parameter tweaks. The current game seems to have been designed by someone who is totally blind, they have no experience or understanding of what made warband good. As such there is no way forward for them either on the current route, it's just going to move from one terrible state to another.

The only realistic path to getting back some good mechanics is to actually go back and clone warbands, at least as a starting point. But that involves pulling out a lot of the nonsense stuff they have added and I really doubt they will do that. It's too much of an embarrassing backtrack. It's telling that despite them apparently doing 'market research' regarding players not understanding the equipment screen, they never actually interviewed members of the competitive or casual scenes to find out what we actually wanted. I played competitive but I also enjoyed a lot of hours on the various siege servers over the years, those servers offered a lot of extra equipment and content over the base game, increasing variety. Instead Taleworlds went with this limited and dull class system when everyone else in the industry was copying them. For instance Mordhau made a really good equipment system, which is really just a 3 slot version of warbands system with some extra tweaks on top. They solved the noob experience using the simple and obvious route of having pre-made builds for players to jump in with.

I was already worried before beta started because I had already figured they were in development hell. When the first beta games started (people were ludicrously hype for it I should add) my worry increased because they were only interested in asking us about high level map balance. It seemed insane to me that you would worry about map balance when your combat mechanics were in such a dire state. Surely you would build the combat up piece by piece, ensuring duelling feels good before moving out to interactions between the class types before even touching map balance. The latter relies on the mechanics of the former.

I gave them a good couple of months to see if there would be a trajectory of improvement but gave up since it was obvious there wasn't. I am pretty sure this game is just going to go down as a bad sequel which is tragic considering the amount of time we have been waiting for it.

For me combat system is kind of good and enjoyable. I Dont know why so much people complaining on forum, may be they just don't get used to new mechanics. In warband for my opinion mechanics was awful when you need to use left swing over and over and kicks did not work at all it was kind of who would faster and be able to do two left swing in a row

For me combat system is kind of good and enjoyable. I Dont know why so much people complaining on forum, may be they just don't get used to new mechanics. In warband for my opinion mechanics was awful when you need to use left swing over and over and kicks did not work at all it was kind of who would faster and be able to do two left swing in a row
wat

Back
Top Bottom