I can JUMP!

Users who are viewing this thread

F50

Sergeant
Jumping in M&B is currently ridiculous. I can almost jump *over* another man's head all while wearing reinforced plate.

Not only is this ridiculous, but jumping would be a lot more useful if it was only a small jump. A small, but relatively fast jump would allow you to use it to use of it in battle to jump in and out of fighting range. This would require weight to have an effect on the jump if it were to be balanced, but that only makes sense. A naked character could make a reasonably long jump, but a heavy laden character could barely jump at all.

Horses are even worse, but their jump can't really be made more useful by reducing it.

Me: "Watch as I jump over that horse. I'll probably jump over the rider too."
Sister: "Yeah...right."
Me: *jumps over horse and rider*
Sister: o_O

I also periodically jump entire streams to make myself faster.

I agree that jumping should be changed on foot especially. It would be better if it was almost a leap or stride, like you said to close down on enemies quickly or get out of the action quickly. There's also the possibility of being able to jump sideways to evade incoming cavalry, but that might be a bit gimmicky, and detract from the importance of your positioning and timing.

Yeah, jumping is a little overdone, I caught myself bunnyhopping quite effectjvely inside a castle the other day against a wall of crossbowmen, and on numerous occasions, I've been charging through the middle of a huge melee pit (i keep battle size around 500 and fight alot of vaegirs in band of warriors), only to find a riderless horse about to block my path....so I jump over it, and continue the charge through the pile.

Maybe link jumping to the character's strength value?  More strength, more distance/height.  Armour should negate distance/height based on style naked attributing no penelty whereas fullplate 85%ish?

Mandorallin

jumping should be determined by agility with a str vs encumberance modifier.

alot of strong guys can't jump for crap, especially when heavily loaded.

quiet420 said:

doesn't that just imply that these "strong guys" have underdeveloped leg-strength then?  :grin:

but ultimately, whatever works for the game.

Eventually, it got so that a de-horsed knight was useless because of the weight of the armor.

Wikipedia says that later armor was 70 lbs, which was significantly lighter than earlier tournament armor.

Another site: http://www.swordsandarmor.com/medieval-swords-armor.html

"In the mid fourteen century knights wore both type of body armour. During this time, it was difficult for the warrior to get back up on if knocked down due the combined weight of the plate and the maille. By the early fifteenth century, most all body armament was plate as the designs and flexibility improved. A mid sixteenth century knight in full plate armour was surprisingly agile due to proper fit on the wearer."

from another site: http://www.chronique.com/Library/Glossaries/glossary-AA/arms_a.htm

"Armour, weight of during the 14th century: The weight of the whole Churburg harness is approximately 28 pounds, including hauberk, but to this you must add another 6-12 pounds for the leg harness. Note that a full harness during the 15th century only averaged 56 lbs and that a modern infantryman's harness weighs approximately 55 lbs. And most of that is on the back, not distributed around the body. (See Malcom Vale, War and Chivalry) It is a complete myth that men had to be lifted into the saddle with a crane!"

Still, jumping over a horse would be rather impossible at least with that weight.

Mandorallin said:
quiet420 said:

doesn't that just imply that these "strong guys" have underdeveloped leg-strength then?  :grin:

but ultimately, whatever works for the game.

i don't think it has anything to do with underdeveloped leg-strength (not really sure how to explain this in english or even if i'm correct) when people are really muscular it is harder to stretch your muscles. at my kickboks training it is easier to fight against these bigg ass muscled guys that people ho are les muscled because they find it hard to fully strech there muscles
CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG

It's about the type of muscle fiber, no matter how much he can leg-press, a body builder just isn't going to have the same hops as a basketball player.

slow twitch (str) vs fast twitch (power)

With 70 lbs of armor, it would take a hilariously long time to train to jump a horse.

I suggest, before concluding that jumping in 70 pounds of armor is "ridiculous" based on nothing more than this seeming reasonable, you ask some people who might know. This has often saved me from being very, very wrong.

http://forums.swordforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

The world record for the high jump (outdoor) is 2.45 meters.

They go over perpendicular to the bar, which means their hips don't go much higher than the bar.

The average soldier in the middle ages was not a world record high jumper, nor were they as tall as we are now.

The average horse in the middle ages is estimated at a modest 12-14 hands (121 - 142 cm)

That said, we have 1.01 to 1.24 meters seperating an average short, heavily encumbered, armoured man from the middle ages, from a modern, world class athlete, wearing approporiate apparel.

If they could "jump" onto horseback while fully armoured, then they would make our athletes look positively foolish.

Feanaro said:
I suggest, before concluding that jumping in 70 pounds of armor is "ridiculous" based on nothing more than this seeming reasonable, you ask some people who might know. This has often saved me from being very, very wrong.

http://forums.swordforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

I did not say it was ridiculous, I said it would take shao lin monk style long training.

To get to the other side of your horse would take 2-3 seconds? Hope you still have your head by then if you are in the middle of a battle (try blocking while doing that). If you aren't in the middle of a battle (or perhaps even if you are) I suggest walking around said horse.

Furthermore, the horse thing is getting off topic. This was originally about foot-fighting and horses jumping, not foot-fighters jumping over horses.

Feanaro said:
Apples to tampons. Jumping a horse is not done unassisted. You jump and push yourself up on the horse's rump. Kind of like the Olympic sport that has its origins in Roman and Medieval practices.

Olympic vaulting descended from horse vaulting, yes, HOWEVER, there are no flying mounts in equestrian vaulting, standard equestriab vaulting doesn't even include mounts, and in freestyle, even though mounts are allowed, they are not flying mounts.

In mounting a horse correctly, you use your upper body, not your legs, it's hoisting, not jumping. Thus, your insinuation that people were running around in 70 lbs of armor, jumping on horses, was wrong.

http://www.horsesmarts.net/forums/equestrian_vaulting.htm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zpk3jnPO3X4

Back
Top Bottom