I can fly

Users who are viewing this thread

gsanders

Grandmaster Knight
  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4sh7GRykLgEejJ3YjZHX2Vkbmc/view?usp=sharing

I know I know, Neo did better.  But it burned a lot of time just to get it smooth.
  Gah its like 20 lines.  You wouldn't think it needed so much effort.

The exercise was mostly a concept test; I knew it was already solved by a different team,
I just needed to see HOW in my code, using a simple mission_template for first flight.

Great thanks to Evlat for showing how to do it.  (that's _their_ carpet I borrowed to test code with).
  If it wasn't in Turkish it'd be easier to follow, but maybe that's a good thing...

- GS

clock4orange said:
:smile:
next will be a dragon?

btw. is it possible to have your own dragon like dog companion in Viking Conquest?

I have not tried the dragons.  I think they had collision mesh problems and are not used.

Mounts are MUCH more difficult.  I'll try something clever tomorrow, but I'm not very good with graphics.
I have to hack the mount a bit...  As a "mount" it can't be done directly.  You can't turn off physics for a mount.
You CAN turn off physics for a clay pigeon you stand on, but you wont get the animation of riding it.  And you would have to get off a mount, then mount the substitute statue.  However there is no law against a clear carpet under the mount, which allows the rider to stay attached to the mount, in riding position,
and to ride normally when touching the ground.  All that needs coding then is a slick way to make the mount come to a programmed stop when over the clear carpet, and the carpet to move at speed the mount was going, so the hand off looks uninterrupted.  That's something that could be made to work.

Mount on a carpet: Ice Dragon  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4sh7GRykLgEcjdoeGRHUm5Cc0k/view?usp=sharing        Phosphor v21 r4 WIP
                              Tiger            https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4sh7GRykLgEQzVWbnd1MkJfU2c/view?usp=sharing

As for having a pet dragon, it won't happen for some time.
  What VC does is their business, but I can't borrow from a DLC, even if the source is available.

The concept of a dragon as a companion isn't something any computer mod can lock; I read "tea with the black dragon" at least 20 years ago.
  The concept of a dog as a companion may or may not be copyrightable, depending on how its done and how similar any dog I use is in terms of
art, code, or functions.  I assume the dog auto-follows, can do simple tricks, is a bodyguard, and can see invisible agents by smell.  It should see in the dark as well, and not sleep at night. A dragon needs other properties.  It should certainly have magic resistances; some magic abilities, and some reason for associating with someone so junior as the player.

= GS

I suppose some think this was just a photoshop-ed fake, like most news. 
  I guess I should make sure the flying spell is available for Halloween to see whether in fact it really was too many mushrooms etc.
  It WAS a bit clunky -- its more a hot air balloon ride in its current form, but I believe I can add momentum and a constant velocity vector.
I'd also like angular momentum to turn the darned thing, or for that matter to spin in the air.  I suppose I could then award experience for the best aerial ballet at a tournament, or at least let the player "wow" a princess after such a tournament event (probably the Elven princess, she was more cerebral in my earlier model).

I really did get up and over the village.  I did it in the village model because it is a surprising amount of work to tinker the mission template,
and the arrow keys I use have other uses in combat.  I need a context to decide if the arrows are for movement or for other things; or perhaps I want some mouse button 3 or something for acceleration and the others are spin about this axis left right dive, climb.  Right now its just move 1 meter and stop increments and very slow, but it was the THOUGHT that counts.  Thus the "experiment" aspect.  Even Wright brothers airplane only went a few meters...

- GS

Managed to auto-glide for the first time just now. 
  All these days only being able to sit 5 minutes at a time, but something worked. 
  Now to make a screen capture clip....

got it.  Here's my first clip:
  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4sh7GRykLgESW5mZGgzZmhMOU0/view?usp=sharing

It may not be as fancy as the "other" devs clips, but I hope you see something you didn't expect.

It is also possible to turn while gliding; you can also climb, sacrificing forward speed for height; and dive, which converts height into added forward speed
In general the glider loses 20 cm each 0.2 seconds; I happened to have picked a very tall hill for starting.  The initial jump upwards is 1 1/2 meters, so on a very flat map the distance covered is not great.  So far I cannot have multiple hops per mission, but that would be the next goal.  I'll also put this into more missions; village_center was just the starting point because it is the simplest mission_templates.  The glider accelerates forward every 0.2 second tick so
forward airspeed keeps accelerating.  I haven't shown all the keys defined for in flight user interface; in general these are the top half of the number pad:
4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, \, *, +, -  all have special use when flying/gliding.    0 starts a glide/fly  you can start a glide even while the mount is moving quickly and it does not miss the carpet.  When the carpet hits ground your mount can resume moving at full speed; it is restrained while in flight to not jump off.
  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4sh7GRykLgEdzVUZmliOUduSHM/view?usp=sharing

- GS

Back
Top Bottom