I ask for feedback from the somewhat experienced

Users who are viewing this thread

Here's another way of looking at it, I came here looking for views but in turn I got something else.
You see, I have nobody in the States... if I didn't make a post here and Tibertus didn't see it, I would have been sending videos out that don't work, and I would have no idea. I started with something, and got something better in return from complete strangers, that is why there's still faith in humanity :wink:
I conclude that making this topic was a very good decision.

Now that the topic is up though, I'll let anyone who cares how things are going. I got two more replies, one coach said he'll give me a call, the other just said he's interested and if I can tell them more about myself. If someone has experience, what exactly does, tell me more about yourself (coming from a coach) mean?

Good luck with your goals in life I hope this works out for you, your mind set is a lot better than most of the Student-Athletes in the U.S. I hope someone gives you a shot when they notice your great attitude.

Play up your academics and extraCurriculars. Unless you're really amazing, a spot on a team isn't guaranteed. You might travel all the way there and not get through try outs (I have no idea how good or bad you may be). But if you can show that you will be an asset for the school even if you don't make it, it's a much stronger case for helping you get in. Do it something like this:

"I'd be a great asset for your team because (list basketball skills)

I'd be a great asset for your school because (list academic skills)

I'd be a great asset for your community because (list extraCurriculars)"

Deserath said:
Good luck with your goals in life I hope this works out for you, your mind set is a lot better than most of the Student-Athletes in the U.S. I hope someone gives you a shot when they notice your great attitude.

Thanks  :smile:

Mage246 said:
Play up your academics and extraCurriculars. Unless you're really amazing, a spot on a team isn't guaranteed. You might travel all the way there and not get through try outs (I have no idea how good or bad you may be). But if you can show that you will be an asset for the school even if you don't make it, it's a much stronger case for helping you get in. Do it something like this:

"I'd be a great asset for your team because (list basketball skills)

I'd be a great asset for your school because (list academic skills)

I'd be a great asset for your community because (list extraCurriculars)"

Let's just say I have a LOT of things to put in my resume, the reason being is that my passion is learning.. anything really..
So, when I'm done with this process and have time I will play you all a composition by Pachelbel, Canon in D.
I guess most of you know it on here.. Or if someone has some other request, then I guess I could learn it when I have more time :wink:

Folms said:
Funny thing how in UK there is no way you can get free University education.

But its also fair, because schools in the UK are actually affordable.. starting middle class and going up they are pretty affordable, and loans aren't very hard to pay off.. whereas in america if you make a full loan, you could be stuck with a debt of 200,000$ before you even find a job.. go figure.. It's like starting a Total War campaign on the hardest mode, no income, a bunch of expensive full stacks and -100,000... pretty tough

Leifr Eiríksson said:
When you do become a great basketball player in the USA, can you please make a Space Jam 2 film happen.  :razz:

I will give it my best shot, I used to be a great fan of that movie even before I played basketball..

TheOneWhoLived said:
Folms said:

But its also fair, because schools in the UK are actually affordable.. starting middle class and going up they are pretty affordable, and loans aren't very hard to pay off.. whereas in america if you make a full loan, you could be stuck with a debt of 200,000$ before you even find a job.. go figure.. It's like starting a Total War campaign on the hardest mode, no income, a bunch of expensive full stacks and -100,000... pretty tough
Yeah that's true but in the US you hardly pay any taxes.

wat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_tax_in_the_United_States#Marginal_tax_rates_for_2013

Folms said:
TheOneWhoLived said:
Folms said:

DoctorPainkiller said:
wat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_tax_in_the_United_States#Marginal_tax_rates_for_2013

Pretty much that ^
And again the fact that it's just a ridiculous amount of money, I reckon about 95-100% of middle class can't pay the price without making some MAJOR financial plans.. like eating rice only every day starting 5 years before your birth so that hopefully they make enough money to pay your first year.. ok that was completely exaggerated haha

Folms said:
Ha, that's a laugh.

No we don't pay as considerable end year taxes as the U.K. but state taxes plus federal taxes snowball.

As it is the chances of getting a basketball scholarship are slim, but there. I would rather be on the safe side by checking out merit based scholarships. I ask for those with experience in life to tell me if what I have would be counted as exceptional (rarely seen scholarship material) or is this common with most applicants at universities, or people in general.

I have a 4.0 GPA, I play basketball for my country's National team (best 12 in the country),
I was president of my whole year 3 times,
I earned a medal for highest international mark in art and then the highest international mark this year too (its a two year process to get a medal, I got the first, this is the third consecutive year I received full marks in art, about to get a second medal),
I play the guitar (self taught so level could be judged by difficulty of songs I can play, they would include Canon, Moonlight sonata from the classical ones, cowboys from hell from the more heavy (I play classical and electric for that matter)),
Piano (again self taught, most difficult song I can play is Yiruma - River flows in you),
Leader of my school's parade (the "frontman") for 3 years straight,
I also won MVP award for National Cup Finals and the gold medal, also a gold medal in the national Championship.
Awarded Most Valuable Athlete of my school.
Future founder of a school's fundraising foundation (I am a prefect of the school this year so this position will allow me to affect my community a lot more than before) whose goal is to raise more money each subsequent year which would go to some other foundation like "Make a Wish".
Also I am  in my school's choir, and drama group for around 4 years also had a band. Multilingual Serbian/Montenegrin, English, Greek.
Involved in neighbourhood cleanups also and some other things I'm sure...
I don't know if it is an accomplishment to know how to use Photoshop extremely well, also 3ds Max, Adobe Premiere.. obviously internet taught  :lol:
I also had a short story published when I was younger, which was neat..
I can also catch flies with my tongue.. (no I can't)

Yeah that's it.. I'd just like to receive some feedback and see if there's chances of getting scholarships with there.. it says they reward talent... which I hope is true since I have a passion for learning many different things (renaissance man as they call it).

A final note, I chose the most difficult curriculum my school has to offer, which is 4 A levels.. its hard juggling sports and school in any case. Anyway thanks for reading!

MadVader said:
I see a marketing career in your future for obvious reasons. :smile:

I must admit, I laughed when I read this.. ****e.. you're onto me.. ^^
No really, It's a stressful period for me.. and there's not enough people around me with experience who are willing to give an objective answer so I resort to the online community of avid fans of Mount&Blade. And I understand the level of competitiveness at some universities that I want to apply to, so I am asking to see if I would still stand out or? enough for a scholarship?

Back
Top Bottom