I am not happy with combat controls...

Users who are viewing this thread

I have player Mount & Blade Warband for a very long time and got used to the controls there. In that game you had three choices of how you like to control your attack direction:
1. Control direction by mouse movement
2. Control direction by keys
3. Control direction by relative position to the enemy.

See, in combat where you also have to account for the movement of your own character as well as the position of your enemy (because otherweise you hit nothing but air), having to move even further only to influence from what angle you attack with your melee weapon is unnecessarily complicated. In Warband I always opted for the third way - it was not perfect, but at least I could direct my attack and aim for the enemy at the same time without blowing it two out of three times. Especially frustrating in mounted combat where you also have to time the attack as well as choosing the right direction.

Now, in Bannerlord, the third option is gone. I want it back!!! It frustrates me to no end when I try to hit infantry from horseback, and because of the less intuitive controls my character resorts to thrust attacks because he feels like it (or just because he deliberately wants to minimize my chances of landing a hit). Same goes for attacking gates, where after a few blows the character starts thrust attacks which do nothing to solid wood, and I have to adjust the mouse again. The second option is nothing for me, either, unless I grow a third hand (I guess I have to play some more Fallout for that...)

Who feels like me that the Combat controls need this third option back?

I nerver played Warband, but I second the OP.

I cannot, for the life of me, get used with Attack Direction by Mouse Movement. I tried, a lot, both inverse and not.
I have had to settle for option 2 (Attack Direction by WASD keys), but it is very inefective since the direction of the attack and movement contradict each other.

Examples:
Thrust: S key, which also moves you back, which is exactly how NOT you should thrust as it robs you of damage.
Side Attack: A/D. Let's pick left, so A. This makes you also move to the left, which again is the opposite of what you normaly want as it again takes away damage.
Overhead: W. At first it seems like this is OK. But this attack leaves you the most open, which is why it is the only one I would like the option to swing while backing away even if meant less damage...

Reasons like this is why I stick to Spears (which suck but I can better control direction AND movement) and, overwhelmingly, ranged combat which has none of these issues.

I don´t think this is really the control scheme, there is something wrong with mounted combat overall. I had no issues in Warband but in Bannerlord it´s way harder to hit.

But I don´t care, because I can just ride with my horse through the whole enemy line. This wasn´t possible in Warband.

There's a good mod which implements autoblocking with a few additional options. Works perfectly with the newest versions of the game, including the beta branch. Using it myself with beta.

I want 1 and 2 handed weapons to be able to cut diagonally on horseback like in warband! That's been my main combat gripe since day one of mp beta and it still is! I don't like the chain attacks or the general clunkyness of combat but I've learned to live with it. But making 2/3 types of melee weapons useless on horseback is just bad. Especially the ones the AI have by default, it's clear they don't know how to hit with them on horse either. I know you can make an extra long weapon yourself to help, but I just want to bend side ways a lil and cut like in WB.

I liked warband's third person better. It just felt faster. Not realistic, but more satisfying. Then again it was too easy to be OP unless you were playing a mod like PoP where the enemies were often more badass than you could ever be.

I don't mind the concept of mouse movement for attack and blocks, but it doesn't work how I'd expect it to. It only works right if you deliberately move the mouse first, then click. I instinctively do them simultaneously, and sometimes this means I click a fraction of a second before I move the mouse. My way of doing it should still work. Give some leeway on the timing.

I want 1 and 2 handed weapons to be able to cut diagonally on horseback like in warband! That's been my main combat gripe since day one of mp beta and it still is! I don't like the chain attacks or the general clunkyness of combat but I've learned to live with it. But making 2/3 types of melee weapons useless on horseback is just bad. Especially the ones the AI have by default, it's clear they don't know how to hit with them on horse either. I know you can make an extra long weapon yourself to help, but I just want to bend side ways a lil and cut like in WB.
I can only hit reliably with cleavers and axes. They seem to work differently than normal swords.

What does the third alternative mean? Cannot remember it.

I did not play Warband that excessively but I did not like the combat nearly as much as now in Bannerlord. Combat in Warband for me felt much much more clumsy, and player-op at the same time. I hated the arena in Warband, I love it in Bannerlord (I greatly reduced clothes/armor to near nakedness and made the weapon combos more meaningful, together with a mod for bleeding and the so-called "Realistic" damage that makes combat interesting). So perhaps it is a matter of habituation?

What I don't get right in Bannerlord at all is blocking with weapons, despite using the mod "Fluid Combat" (with changed settings) for it. But attacks are fine, I especially like the use of spears on horses, something I avoided at all in Warband. It's a bit difficult to hit but rather satisfying.

What does the third alternative mean? Cannot remember it.

It basically means that the direction from which you strike depends on the angle you look at your enemy - if you face his left side, you will strike from the left, if you look at his feet, you will thrust at him etc. More or less, it is the position of your crosshair in relation to the enemy's centre of body. It doesn't need any more input from mouse movement or WASD keys.

I would really like to try this option. I quite dislike attack direction by mouse movement, and attack direction by WASD keys robs you of damage potential and strategical combinations.

I think the control is okay to me...

For me it's somehow hard to get a certain direction of attack, usually hard to get my weapon in position when first start the battle.
Like in Arena, I want to set my 2 handed Halberd type weapon to overhead attack position while closing on the enemy.
It takes me quiet a bit of try to get it to a position.

As long as it's not the combat system like the old game Gothic 1,2,3, etc.
It was hard to master the weapon moves but when you mastered it, it was that good.
But when I tried to that again few years back, my blood pressure shot up, ohh.. the stress, etc...

In all fairness, the combat controls are not as botched as in "Kingdom Come: Deliverance" - makes every Dark Souls game look like Dungeon Siege 2...

In all fairness, the combat controls are not as botched as in "Kingdom Come: Deliverance" - makes every Dark Souls game look like Dungeon Siege 2...

Not defending kingdom come deliverance but what was the problem with it? I managed to get on just fine in that game. Even loved dungeon siege LOA and the original game (not so much the 2nd one)

Back
Top Bottom