Hunting and why it should be in game

Users who are viewing this thread

Reiksmarshal

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Braveheart was a great movie, but it wasn't all about the battles. There are a lot of good scenes that added to the epic tale, like the hunting scene that turns out to be an assassination plot.

As for Bannerlord hunting could be a great feature that could add so much to the game. From being a poacher to going on grand hunts with kings and nobles.

There could be rare encounters while you hunt for boar, stag, and rabbits. You could encounter a pack of wolves, a bear, other poachers, an assassin, or the king's huntsman.

It could be an early game trade where player has a way to get furs by hunting the game or going on a hunt with nobles to build loyalty. These are the types of features this game is missing that could make a big difference and turn Bannerlord into a Braveheart epic journey.

Thank you Taleworlds for such a great game, now let's add some spice!

Last edited:
I dunno, I've always felt like hunting is one of those things that sounds fun in the abstract but can never be implemented well into an M&B campaign. If you just have it as something on the map only I wouldn't have a problem with it, but if there are actual hunting scenes then I find it hard to imagine how that could be fun, while also fitting the pacing of M&B. Do you just spawn in with a bunch of animals and have to kill them? How many? How long is it supposed to take? Do you have to search for them? Do you have to kill all of them? How much food do you get? When is it worth doing vs ignoring? Do some playstyles force you to hunt or is it just a gimmick?

In a normal hunting game where the hunt itself dictates the pace, these questions can be answered in isolation, but in Bannerlord I struggle to see anyone enjoying a 30 minute hunt completely isolated from the rest of the game.

I don't remember which WB mod had hunting implemented. It was nice due you get few furs and increased your archery skills... very useful in the early game.

Honestly, while it wouldnt necessarily be a bad thing, it's just completely unnecessary fluff that you would most likely do a few times tops, and then just forget about it.

The only game that really ever implemented it well IMHO was RDR2, since you were in the frontier the animals were out there and also required for certain crafting & quests, plus their AI and modelling was superb, with Rockstar allegedly devoting a lot of study and outside resources to getting that right.

With all else that is wrong with this game in particular still, I wouldn't even want a mod for this functionality, maybe it'd work as a random encounter of some sort but it doesn't even fit how the overworld is explored

The game does desperately need to do things besides regular battles, and desperately needs reasons to visit areas outside of fighting. You have all these beautifully rendered village and wilderness scenes, but no reason to ever set foot in them since you can just do almost anything through menus. Hunting early on could be a source of income, and later on a relationship building tool or, as mentioned, a possible assassination venue. Hell you could be invited to hunt and ambushed as well.
I'd like to see it, but the game has a lot of extremely urgent issues with bugs and design that I'd much prefer get focused on.

Fights in the villages are pretty interesting, especially some of the hilltop Batannian and Aesrai villages.

So far the city streets seem like a huge waste though. A couple rogue quests and that is the only reason to ever spend time there. I was hoping to have more street battles- even if it is only gang battles but vs civil unrest or plots from neighbors or unhappy notables or even the few remaining Lord of a defeated Kingdom who sneak into a city to try and assasinate the main architect of their downfall.

Never felt good in Warband mods, hunting defenceless deer.
Thats generally how hunting deer works -they rarely use any offence.

But agreed that it was pretty lame the way it was implemented -like all; seemingly previous small features -these are things to be advanced not abandoned

This would add to the RPG aspect of the game ....

which TaleWorlds do not care at all about.

I'd love this... but they won't invest time and money into it... knowing TW, maybe it could be a £7.99 DLC

The way I could see hunting working in Bannerlord is you would have discover groves that would populate the map like bandit hideouts. Once you travel to a grove you would sneak around the grove until you can get in bow range of the game. You got one chance to make your shot, if you miss the game flees. The chance of discovering these groves would depend on certain perks. There could also be rare encounter that could happen as well like bears, wolves, other poachers, etc.

As for royal hunts they would be a camp site that you travel to near a castle where there is a feast in the wilderness and various nobles hanging about the camp drinking. This is where relations can be built or plots be hatched and eventually a mounted hunt for boars with spears where the group would ride the game down.

dC5qcGc

Hunting had also the function of military training, maybe in the game it could be used to level-up combat skills, thus making it more attractive, although not funner. Just like we normally fight the bandits for xp and money, hunting animals could give more xp and less money, so adds some variety.

As for the hunting event hosted by noble houses, it may could be implemented as sort of events chain, starting from say the monarch invites vassals to assemble at certain hunting area. Then the participating nobles claim or are assigned different roles, e.g. lead the scouts, company the king, coordinate hunting teams, command one hunting team, and stuff, their level of corresponding skills will make impacts on the hunting process.
And then come several story branches, including various accidents, such as a conspiracious ambush against VIP, initiating a small scaled battle in civilian outfits. Or the scouts find an exordinary game, which if you managed to kill (perhaps by a skills check plus some RNG), will grant you a special bounty(sadly, we don't have such things yet in Bannerlord). If the hunt ends successfully, everyone participated could gains a few skill levels, determined by their roles, and some relation improvements.

Warband had bandit infested villages, assassin fights in the towns and drunk fights in taverns.
It would be nice if we could get them back or we could get some sort of other random events that would add to the roleplay aspect.
Hunting would be too much of a mess

Hunting had also the function of military training, maybe in the game it could be used to level-up combat skills, thus making it more attractive, although not funner. Just like we normally fight the bandits for xp and money, hunting animals could give more xp and less money, so adds some variety.

As for the hunting event hosted by noble houses, it may could be implemented as sort of events chain, starting from say the monarch invites vassals to assemble at certain hunting area. Then the participating nobles claim or are assigned different roles, e.g. lead the scouts, company the king, coordinate hunting teams, command one hunting team, and stuff, their level of corresponding skills will make impacts on the hunting process.
And then come several story branches, including various accidents, such as a conspiracious ambush against VIP, initiating a small scaled battle in civilian outfits. Or the scouts find an exordinary game, which if you managed to kill (perhaps by a skills check plus some RNG), will grant you a special bounty(sadly, we don't have such things yet in Bannerlord). If the hunt ends successfully, everyone participated could gains a few skill levels, determined by their roles, and some relation improvements.

See now this guy gets it. People keep complaining about "why do you want that trivial bland dull feature back from Warband...?" -we dont want it back, we want it expanded upon. Imagine Grand Tournmants with really loud crowds, an introduction from the King, Horns blaring when Gladiators fall, Reputations rising and falling, chicks swooning over the Champions etc... and Lords remembering all of this after the fact -like in Warband..hatred and jealousy being built by rivals. This really aint ll that hard just requires a commitment to bettering the RPG/Strategy aspect of the game rather than just "a sprinkling of a strategy game added"

Oh and who thought Tourney prizes like "Fleece Slippers" was a good idea..?

See now this guy gets it. People keep complaining about "why do you want that trivial bland dull feature back from Warband...?" -we dont want it back, we want it expanded upon. Imagine Grand Tournmants with really loud crowds, an introduction from the King, Horns blaring when Gladiators fall, Reputations rising and falling, chicks swooning over the Champions etc... and Lords remembering all of this after the fact -like in Warband..hatred and jealousy being built by rivals. This really aint ll that hard just requires a commitment to bettering the RPG/Strategy aspect of the game rather than just "a sprinkling of a strategy game added"

Oh and who thought Tourney prizes like "Fleece Slippers" was a good idea..?

It is really sad, people just want that BL becomes like WB in the RPG side, they (also me) totally lost the hope that it become an improvement. But 'the vision' ... you know.

Back
Top Bottom