Hunting and fishing

Users who are viewing this thread

Why look at that! Awesome.

Ill post something. Shot a six point white tail sunday. What a pain in the arse he was though.
The whole story:
sitting in the stand, about 9 am. I had actualy only been there about half an hour, slow start. See a buck coming, right at the edge of a steep drop off, so i had a pretty bad shot. He came a bit closer, so I took a hot at him. I was using a .270, nice gun. Just got it last year. Took a shot, missed. He was still standing there, so I shot again just as he started to move. Of course, my gun jammed, and he wasnt dead yet. I saw him limping real bad, but by the time I had another bullet in the chamber he was gone. I knew i hit him though. I figured he couldnt have gotten far with such a bad limp so i called up my father back at our hunting cabin to get the four wheeler so I didnt have to drag him out myself (i figured the deer was dead by now). I saw him coming, and he spooked a massive eight poibt out of some pine trees, right past me but i had already shot the smaller one  :evil:
We did look for the eight point but he was long gone, i hear somebody just got it later that day.
Anyway, we get to tracking the one that I had already shot and there was no blood anywhere. Which was strange because I knew i hit it. Finally found some fresh tracks and started following those. Saw the buck jump up about 100 yards ahead of us, followed him. That happened a few times, he would jump up, run for a while, and bed down again. Finally snuck up on him bedded down and shot him through the heart this time. Upon closer inspection, i saw that the second shot i took had gone right through the got and broke his left back leg,  which was why he was limping.
Of course, he died on the side of a steep ass hill, which he later rolled to the bottom of, so i had to drag him all the way around until we could get the wheeler to him and drive him back on that. Took about an hour. :evil:
What a mess it was gutting him though. Liver and guts were all exoloded. Gotta get a better shot next time.
Short version: hes dead and skinned. Gunna start carving him up later today.

I rarely bother to take those. Dislike the risk of wounding it and causing unnecessary suffering. And the possibility of ruining a lot of the meat if it's a gut shot or somesuch. I'd rather track it and wait for a better opportunity.

This thread marginalises the gatherers of society, and I find it insulting. I shall be petitioning the administrators of this forum hence to close down this vile topic until such a time as it becomes a more socially inclusive institution.

I think so, TheFlyingFishy.
I shot a elk two months back. I was out in the woods with my father, who had this glorious idea of trying to call for the beast.
Bloody bastard managed to do it, it didn't even took 10 minutes until an elk came by and peeked out of the bush in 200 meters in front of me, and I waited and waited for it to step out. Finally, after what felt like ages but had to be like 5 minutes at most, it stepped out. I aimed at where I had learned to shoot, in the heart, and pulled the trigger.
*click*
My Polish-Russian piece of **** rifle had jammed, well, I unjammed it, was surprised that the factually stupid beast had not ran away, and shot it.

Been looking for a lease this year but no luck yet. I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna hunt how I used to though, as a kid I'd sit in a blind with my dad and a scoped R700 in .30-06 and wait for the sun to come up so we could see the deer at our feeder. It was a good 300 yard shot, and I can see why a 60 year old would prefer it that way, but I still want more challenge than that. I'll probably take the scope off my .30-30 and not use a blind or feeder, if I can find somewhere to hunt that is.

I'm all for a more active hunting style. But going at it with iron sights is just vain and silly. And it significantly heightens the chance of just wounding the animal and having to leave it to a slow, painful death that serves no purpose.

Well I'm not gonna take any long shots or moving shots or anything. I wouldn't shoot at an animal unless I was certain I'll kill it. That's if I'm even up to hunting anymore, I shoot regularly but I've become a real softie towards animals since the last time I hunted. I'm that guy who catches bugs in his house and takes them outside instead of stepping on them.

Hunting smaller stuff at short distances is defensible with irons. Jackrabbits are both an easy target and tasty. I find your mindset changes when you're out hunting. You accept that it's the way of nature for some to die so others can eat etc. I hate having to wring birds' necks when they fly into windows, or slitting a deer's throat if it's been hit by a car. But a clean shot on something I intend to eat and otherwise utilise as best I can is somehow different.

Yeah, I doubt I'll really have that much trouble with it, it's just been a while since I've intentionally killed something.

EDIT:Besides fish, I fish pretty often.

Mostly roadkill, I hit a deer last year and I hit a bird with my windshield the other day. I felt so bad, even worse for the deer because I didn't even have a knife or anything to put it down and it was struggling on the ground with a head wound for like 30 minutes. I was hoping the game warden would get there quickly and put it down but he took too long and it bled out by that time. I would honestly rather vehicles weren't invented because of the violent deaths countless animals (including people) have had because of them. I know that probably sounds like hippy **** but whatever.

Back
Top Bottom