Hugely unpopular idea: Taleworlds should just scan workshop/nexusmods for the popular mods and implement them in vanilla

Users who are viewing this thread

I understand, but I just can't come up with reasons why modders would rile up people to defend their mods being incorporated into the main game. Especially if given credit (whic is easy to do, just list the mods incorporated and their authors at the bottom of the credits page in the game). I mean, what are they losing beside not having to update their mods every time TaleWorlds releases a small patch (which is every few god damn days or weeks).
Nobody likes people profiting from the free labour of others. And that's exactly what it would look like.

This always seems tempting - afterall why don't TW just install the diplomacy mod?

However there are many legal ramifications regarding this- and the modder community itself would be up in arms if TW could steal their work at will.

That's like saying that museum profit from the free labour of the painters who had donated their works to those museums
That is nothing alike. Firstly, museums are usually not-for-profit. Secondly, when artists donate work to museums it is implied that is will be displayed and thus increased traffic into the museum. What you are talking about would be a for-profit museums making reproductions of famous artworks to increase profits.

The legal hassle of trying to work out agreements with dozens of different modding parties would be massive and more hassle than it is worth. Even if they could sort this out, mods require ongoing support, which would require contracting the mod teams to work on the game and coordinate with the devs, which again, is another massive hassle.

Weird that after the enormous profits made from this game -whose legacy is partly due to great mods - people here think they should just donate all their time and work. What a subservient delusion. Create a grand scale mod with years of work behind it and then tell me that.

This always seems tempting - afterall why don't TW just install the diplomacy mod?

However there are many legal ramifications regarding this- and the modder community itself would be up in arms if TW could steal their work at will.
I doubt that's much of an issue: Settlement Icons and Quick Talk started as mods after all.

I think the bigger issue is that TW staff have to maintain features the same way modders need to consistently go back and update their mods, so they might not want to take on that burden.

I doubt that's much of an issue: Settlement Icons and Quick Talk started as mods after all.

I think the bigger issue is that TW staff have to maintain features the same way modders need to consistently go back and update their mods, so they might not want to take on that burden.
Yea but that would be just insane amount of laziness. If TW developers have to pass every issue through a "do we really want to maintain that feature we're lazy" pass then there's nothing that can save this game at all

I'd rather believe they are just that incompetent which is why their game is a brojken mess, but not that they are both incompetent and incredibly lazy

Most games eventually have "divergent mods" spring up.

There will eventually be 3 different highly popular diplomacy mods

There will eventually be 2 different highly popular map adjustment (while still being Calradia) mods

There will eventually be 4 different highly popular skill tree/level progression mods

The point of mods is that you get to pick your flavor. I've yet to see a mod that doesn't push the game, at least partially, in a direction I highly dislike. Essentially, any mod that ignores the fact the base game already favors the player in more ways then it "cheats" the player is not one I respect. And almost every mod that claims to re-balance the game definitively just pushes the game further in the favor of the player. Not the experience I'm looking for

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but this is pretty much what the devs did with the witcher 3 next gen update.
If they don't know how/lack resources (hard to believe after seeing what a single person like Bloc can do in a day) they should definitely take advantage of the amazing work of the modders and implement it in the base code as long as the authors are happy with it.

Seriously just scan both and if the mod is popular enough and has a high enough rating then implement it in vanilla. As on option where appropriate (e.g. the decapitation mod could become a toggle in the settings) and mandatory otherwise (e.g. your party characters' spawn on their civilian equipment's horses when visiting towns, since you can always just dismount if you for some bizare reason prefer to explore these huge cities on foot)

This would dramatically improve the quality of life for everyone. For mod users (who are probably like 10% of players tops) it would solve the problem of mods beign updated slowly/not being comaptible with the latest patches, and for others it would open their game to so much more content that TW has been just too lazy to implement in the game.
do you realy want hot butter in bannerlord?

First off I’m pretty sure they’d need to ask as they would be directly profiting off another’s hard work. I’m not just talking some small battle order mod - what would stop them from grabbing and packaging huge overhauls like Pendor?

Though I’m not positive the legality of such a move I’m pretty sure they’d be violating some sort of intellectual material grab. I like my idea of them compensating modders either their competition and/or sub contracting / hiring

Your welcome to donate but don’t try and speak for others work
It depends on what we mean with "ripping off".

You cannot copy someone's source code.
You can certainly take the idea and implement it with your own code. You cannot copyright ideas.
And given they are mods TW has ownership of the core code engine so mods are themselves in a gray area concerning copyright and mainly exist because they are good PR and if they don't make any money with it themselves, don't hurt the game studio.

Not saying this would go down well in public necessarily but a modder cannot really challenge if TW implements a comprehensive feature in the engine that mirrors a mod in the game, because it is their game engine in the first place.

Genuine question, besides the legal and ethical point, can developers actually take a mod and implement it into the base game with ease? Is implementing a mod into the base game something that can easily be done by basically copy-pasting, or would developers have to analyze said mod(s) and its code, and then recreate it from the scratch on their own (assuming said mod(s) are adding a new thing rather than modifying values that are in the game)?

Back
Top Bottom