Hugely unpopular idea: Taleworlds should just scan workshop/nexusmods for the popular mods and implement them in vanilla

Users who are viewing this thread

Seriously just scan both and if the mod is popular enough and has a high enough rating then implement it in vanilla. As on option where appropriate (e.g. the decapitation mod could become a toggle in the settings) and mandatory otherwise (e.g. your party characters' spawn on their civilian equipment's horses when visiting towns, since you can always just dismount if you for some bizare reason prefer to explore these huge cities on foot)

This would dramatically improve the quality of life for everyone. For mod users (who are probably like 10% of players tops) it would solve the problem of mods beign updated slowly/not being comaptible with the latest patches, and for others it would open their game to so much more content that TW has been just too lazy to implement in the game.

I'm not sure it's really unpopular, you know? I mean, at this point the game needs all the help it can get...
Well I called it unpopular because i know in many other communities implementing mods into main game at least without hiring the mods' devs has been looked down for a while. just look at Ck2 where pdx just ended up hiring the guy who made ck2 plus since that mod was so popular it was eventually seen as a must have improvement for the game

I dont think modders would appreciate their hard work to be stolen like that
So just credit them in the credits or something. I'd think of devs taking on my idea and reliving me from the need to constantly follow their updates to update my mod as both an honour and a good thing

So just credit them in the credits or something. I'd think of devs taking on my idea and reliving me from the need to constantly follow their updates to update my mod as both an honour and a good thing
First off I’m pretty sure they’d need to ask as they would be directly profiting off another’s hard work. I’m not just talking some small battle order mod - what would stop them from grabbing and packaging huge overhauls like Pendor?

Though I’m not positive the legality of such a move I’m pretty sure they’d be violating some sort of intellectual material grab. I like my idea of them compensating modders either their competition and/or sub contracting / hiring

Your welcome to donate but don’t try and speak for others work

First off I’m pretty sure they’d need to ask as they would be directly profiting off another’s hard work. I’m not just talking some small battle order mod - what would stop them from grabbing and packaging huge overhauls like Pendor?

Though I’m not positive the legality of such a move I’m pretty sure they’d be violating some sort of intellectual material grab. I like my idea of them compensating modders either their competition and/or sub contracting / hiring

Your welcome to donate but don’t try and speak for others work
idk man given that as long as mods stay just mods they are gonna be used by very few people, probably in single digit percentage of the total player base, i dont think it's fair to the rest of the community to lock them like that

if the mods are integrated into the main game, with due credit of course, they'll be used by 100% of the playerbase. Idk i think most modders would want them, sure, there might be a small minority of modders who'd wanna opt out but those people can always just delete their mods. Or better yet, have TW contact modders for permission before implementing their work into the game. If the modders promptly respond with a refusal - their work won't be added (and ideally TW would then make a forum post of all modders who'd refused to let all players enjoy their work)

idk man given that as long as mods stay just mods they are gonna be used by very few people, probably in single digit percentage of the total player base, i dont think it's fair to the rest of the community to lock them like that

if the mods are integrated into the main game, with due credit of course, they'll be used by 100% of the playerbase. Idk i think most modders would want them, sure, there might be a small minority of modders who'd wanna opt out but those people can always just delete their mods. Or better yet, have TW contact modders for permission before implementing their work into the game. If the modders promptly respond with a refusal - their work won't be added (and ideally TW would then make a forum post of all modders who'd refused to let all players enjoy their work)

I dont understand what your saying here but TW cant just rip off peoples work and present them as their own. And no way would most modders just want to hand over their work to TW so that they can then add it to their game and source income. No F'n way. If you havent noticed -alot of the bigger modders are pissed at TW - you think theyre just gonna do all that work and go "sure , put it in your game to help sell it so i can get some crappy credit at the end of the game".

Pretty sure TW would avoid it anyways due to legality issues. Friend of mine wrote a whole new AI command system which was sick for Arma's 3 Prairie Fire DLC. Since we are on another AI mod team together, he often asked us about certain coding issues but was told very sternly by Bohemia - not even an idea that was written down can be implemented from your friends should we put this in as official - all for legality reasons. So nah, they cant "just use it". And you shouldnt be encouraging this either -as it only sets precedent and a slippery slope for further incentive never to finish the game and just prod and wait for more free labor from modders.

Terrible idea. I would bet that more people play and prefer this game "vanilla". You have a choice and they deserve to have one too.

At this point that is probably all TW can do. I played M&B a ton back in the day, Warband a bit less, and was hopefully for Bannerlord but stopped playing in 2020 when I realized it offered way less than Warband.

With the full release I've come back and.... wtf. It seems 95% of the problems are still here. That might be harsh but the biggest problems are DEFINITELY still around so I am not inclined to explore and see how the rest works.

Can't call it the worst game since I still got 30 hours but probably the biggest disappointment rivalled only by Cyberpunk which at least has had more than half its problems fixed and can be enjoyable played without getting annoyed by mechanics and broken features every 15 minutes.

Seriously just scan both and if the mod is popular enough and has a high enough rating then implement it in vanilla. As on option where appropriate (e.g. the decapitation mod could become a toggle in the settings) and mandatory otherwise (e.g. your party characters' spawn on their civilian equipment's horses when visiting towns, since you can always just dismount if you for some bizare reason prefer to explore these huge cities on foot)

This would dramatically improve the quality of life for everyone. For mod users (who are probably like 10% of players tops) it would solve the problem of mods beign updated slowly/not being comaptible with the latest patches, and for others it would open their game to so much more content that TW has been just too lazy to implement in the game.
I think they already do this

But generally speaking they can't just wholesale copy mods, cause you're basically stealing other people's work at that point. Good way to way to end up on a bunch of game journalist's website front page and really turn folks against you, even your typical plucky streamer can't defend that.

That said mods/modding exist in a pretty grey area. TW could probably pretty easily incorporate any existing mods and say it's justified since mods are developed off of their assets. (Just wanna say I'm not a lawyer, so take what I say with a dose of salt.) Also it's not real hard to change a few lines of code and make something look like it's yours anyways, why I've always shied away from anything coding/programming related. The village/town icons on the map are very reminiscent of an early 2020 mod for instance, but that could also be coincidence.

TW has incorporated mods into DLC for Warband. Truly wish I had known that before since that's a big red flag. I would not be surprised if they did the same for some bigger overhaul mods in say two years. Also pretty sure they have consulted modders like Philozoraptor from RBM, probably only reason why armor is somewhat decent and troops maintain decent space between themselves in base game.

Modding should be thought of as like volunteering. You do it for the warm fuzzy feelings - not any reward, looks good on the resume, and might help you get a job.

Buy a computer.
Yeah can't stress this enough.

You're not getting mods for Bannerlord on console, period. If you want to mod Bannerlord for a better experience, gotta have a computer. Though better experience is subjective as TW's continued updates will continue to break smaller quality of life mods - unless every collectively decides 1.0 is what to stick with. And modders believe it or not do have lives so they may decide updating their work for a game they don't play/aren't interested in, isn't worth it.

Not particularily fond of modding myself, as it's very likely you'll spend as much time getting mods to work as playing the game in question. Then you also gotta hope they don't break anything down the line. Though given that Bannerlord, like many games these days, seems to be in a perpetual beta state you don't have too much to lose, since chances are good TW will irrevocably break something themselves.

With the full release I've come back and.... wtf. It seems 95% of the problems are still here. That might be harsh but the biggest problems are DEFINITELY still around so I am not inclined to explore and see how the rest works.

Can't call it the worst game since I still got 30 hours but probably the biggest disappointment rivalled only by Cyberpunk which at least has had more than half its problems fixed and can be enjoyable played without getting annoyed by mechanics and broken features every 15 minutes.
Ah I envy you

If only I had the sensibility to just leave the game entirely back in September 2020 when I only had 100 hours or so clocked in. Though like you've admitted, you can come back years later, and surprise not much has changed! So much for patience huh?

Not sure when I deluded myself into thinking that there would be a magic super patch that fixed a whole bunch of things. Or if I just played a little more I'd uncover some sort of great secret and reach Bannerlord "enlightenment". Though now it's definitely sunk cost fallacy, which is probably true of TW themselves. Spent a decade developing a game? What's another year or two?

Cyberpunk is still "gooey" in the middle, but damn you gotta respect the artists that worked on that game if nothing else.

But generally speaking they can't just wholesale copy mods, cause you're basically stealing other people's work at that point. Good way to way to end up on a bunch of game journalist's website front page and really turn folks against you, even your typical plucky streamer can't defend that.

That said mods/modding exist in a pretty grey area. TW could probably pretty easily incorporate any existing mods and say it's justified since mods are developed off of their assets. (Just wanna say I'm not a lawyer, so take what I say with a dose of salt.) Also it's not real hard to change a few lines of code and make something look like it's yours anyways, why I've always shied away from anything coding/programming related. The village/town icons on the map are very reminiscent of an early 2020 mod for instance, but that could also be coincidence.

TW has incorporated mods into DLC for Warband. Truly wish I had known that before since that's a big red flag. I would not be surprised if they did the same for some bigger overhaul mods in say two years. Also pretty sure they have consulted modders like Philozoraptor from RBM, probably only reason why armor is somewhat decent and troops maintain decent space between themselves in base game.

Modding should be thought of as like volunteering. You do it for the warm fuzzy feelings - not any reward, looks good on the resume, and might help you get a job.

Yeah can't stress this enough.

You're not getting mods for Bannerlord on console, period. If you want to mod Bannerlord for a better experience, gotta have a computer. Though better experience is subjective as TW's continued updates will continue to break smaller quality of life mods - unless every collectively decides 1.0 is what to stick with. And modders believe it or not do have lives so they may decide updating their work for a game they don't play/aren't interested in, isn't worth it.

Not particularily fond of modding myself, as it's very likely you'll spend as much time getting mods to work as playing the game in question. Then you also gotta hope they don't break anything down the line. Though given that Bannerlord, like many games these days, seems to be in a perpetual beta state you don't have too much to lose, since chances are good TW will irrevocably break something themselves.
I think funding is an issue with a lot of these gaming companies so they have to rush out unfinished products to get a revenue stream. Sadly it's probably going to be the norm across the entire industry for years to come. We might as well start to get used to it. If you like mods support them otherwise it will probably stay vanilla.

In some ways bannerlord was a much better game in earlier betas but every time they add something new the break something that wasn't broke originally. They've made a lot of good changes too but its been a mixed bag.

I understand, but I just can't come up with reasons why modders would rile up people to defend their mods being incorporated into the main game. Especially if given credit (whic is easy to do, just list the mods incorporated and their authors at the bottom of the credits page in the game). I mean, what are they losing beside not having to update their mods every time TaleWorlds releases a small patch (which is every few god damn days or weeks).

Back
Top Bottom