Users who are viewing this thread

I foresee your own archers getting decimated if they get too close so I think it’s best to leave them out for now. Shieldwall has best chance at surviving and if you can time the cavalry charge just right you can sandwich the enemy.

In Warband I flanked archers all the time with great success but they weren’t the same level of power there so I’m curious to know how archers here would behave and perform in this situation.

I foresee your own archers getting decimated if they get too close so I think it’s best to leave them out for now. Shieldwall has best chance at surviving and if you can time the cavalry charge just right you can sandwich the enemy.

In Warband I flanked archers all the time with great success but they weren’t the same level of power there so I’m curious to know how archers here would behave and perform in this situation.
I would agree with this, provided the archers actually would fire on my archers. It appears for now this isn't actually true though: it seemss they only attack the closest enemy. If the latter is true, there is no danger in letting the archers, dismounted horse archers and regular archers, sit behind your shield wall and kill the 50 archers slowly.

As you say, it depends on how the archers of the AI behave. I certainly agree with you there is no point in endangering your own archers in this or in fact most situations.

I would put my archers on a hill, then infantry in front of the hill in shield wall formation, and put my cav far away in right or left flank -depends on map-. When enemy archers approach enough, i would let AI to control my cav (my character is infantry), and then slowly pushing my inf in shield wall formation.

I'm assuming they are attacking you? Put the Infantry and archers somewhere, like right behind a hill or rocks, where the enemy archers can't fire on them directly from their max range. When they get close lead the melee cavalry to the rear of the archers then order them to charge. Idea is simply to engage the archers from both sides at minimum range and for the infantry and cavalry to engage at the same time as best you are able to get them to do so.

In general leading my melee cavalry into the enemy archers usually seems to be a good way for an easy win. But this requires your own melee and archers to be able to take down the enemy melee with less cavalry support. Sometimes leading the cavalry into the rear of the enemy infantry to break them quickly so your entire army can swarm their archers workers better if your infantry is weaker.

You could also use crossbow men instead of archers; they appear to have better range and accuracy so can shuffle forward. If they're advancing on me, I tend to shield wall the infantry so they don't take as many hits, flank with your horse men, while archers (especially if on a hill above the infantry) fire over the top.

If I'm well armored with a shield and on a horse, I sometimes ride around back so half the enemy turns to fire on me and me alone*. Once they do, order the charge... and allow mass confusion to happen.

I think my best tactic is I tend to have well levelled up soldiers though and early doors (and not in horse country or against lords) prioritise footmen with shields. So no axemen.

*fair warning, if you get knocked out your guys are just sat doing nothing - so this really fails if its enemy mounted archers as your guys will get picked off sat stationary).

Thanks all for advice I have a pretty good idea but a few things I’d like to know:
1: when I use “advance” my archers basically run away, I’m talking far away. Anyone know why?

2.How to shield wall advance? Shield wall>advance I guess?

3, f6 doesn’t work for me it’s auto set on something for me every time I press f6 they just stand there. Not sure if anyone knows what I mean.

Thanks all for advice I have a pretty good idea but a few things I’d like to know:
1: when I use “advance” my archers basically run away, I’m talking far away. Anyone know why?

2.How to shield wall advance? Shield wall>advance I guess?

3, f6 doesn’t work for me it’s auto set on something for me every time I press f6 they just stand there. Not sure if anyone knows what I mean.

If you put them in shieldwall and order to advance (not charge) they are going ahead more slowly and try to keep.in formation.

Back
Top Bottom