How will they fix Sturgia getting completely eliminated in one year, and Khuzait and Vlandia taking half the map in 3 years?

Users who are viewing this thread

From most of the threads I've read this is common in most people's campaigns. Khuzait and Vlandia kill Sturgia off in record time, and both of them have doubled the size of their original kingdoms within 3 years. The faction the player joins as a vassal does reasonably well, depending on player skill.

By the time you can realistically create a kingdom you face the monumental task of fighting off 2 massive, cavalry dominant, kingdoms with a small, newly established kingdom.

Are your experiences similar to mine? Do Khuzait and Vlandia rapidly expand while Sturgia is eliminated in record time?

Right now, for me at least, this game is Khuzait vs. Vlandia version 1.4.1.

By reducing your progression and making them even more dominant when you finally get strong of course! The player can't be expected to make money or get troop XP reasonably before the world turns to ****, devs just can't allow that.

Yep if you want to start a kingdom at the moment by the time you are ready is only 2 left on the map and they have 300 army and you can only fund your 4 mates and a grain sack lol

On 1.4.2, day 659, Think Khergit have an extra 3 towns, Western empire an extra 2, Vlandia 1.I'm with Western, so have helped them to a degree in holding off Battanian advances.

I've just recently hit clan level 4, so can have 4 parties including myself.

Definitely feels a long way from a single faction taking over, though Northern Empire are down to only 3 towns.

Not too bad really. Would be nice to see Northern take back a town for balance.

- Improving simulation battles calculation and remove unnecessary bonus for cavalry.
- Giving Sturgia better racial trait.
- Introducing revolts/rebelions to make factions grown much slower.
- Adding some kind of coallition system where some factions ally to stop a kingdom getting too strong.
- Continue the improvements for diplomacy system. Now for some reason, when a kingdom is weak while losing a war, everyone declare war on this weak kingdom which makes that It dissapear faster.
- Improving defection system and making harder that lords defect.
- Fix the issue where Kings get for themselves all conquered settlements.

In my opinion the best way is by introducing the possibility for alliances ( smaller factions alliances against the larger ones ) and the following :

1) Clan rebellions : when the leader has bad relations with the faction leader or got too big and became ambitious.

2) Civil war : After a ruler dies if there is no heir or if minor clans rebel at the same time due to bad relations/bad policies/major defeat etc.. and ally against the legit king or heir.

3) Peasant/city rebellions ( large ones ) : very important for immersion, also they kinda prepared this with the security and loyalty stats ,so this will surely be implemented. Would force you and the AI to manage more carefully your fiefs too and slow down expansion as large rebellions of 500+ angry mobs would occur occasionally in regions with high taxes and low food.

If this is implemented, it will be more challenging to rule a large kingdom/empire and the AI faction should not steamroll the map in 3 years so easily.

In my campaign Khuzait has grown absurdly strong, but now they feel the downside of it by having three of the other big factions waging war against them. As for the Sturgians... yeah, they didn't last long. I don't think they have any settlements left. Still, they are stronger than the Northern Empire which gets gangbanged every five minutes by bands of brigants.

I remember that in Warband there was the possibility of supporting another claim to the throne, with all the usurpators lingering around in other kings' throne rooms and looking for help. Why shouldn't this work here, in some kind of updated version. "Sure, I will help you reclaim your throne. Oh... sorry, got other things to do..."

That's actually something they've mentioned implementing: rebellions etc. It's one reason Vlandia starts with more clans; supposedly they'll have a hard time keeping them all in line, if I recall correctly.

well to be fair - HISTORICALY - strugia-like factions didnt lasted long, while europeans and mongols kicked everybody arround for ages
its just a fact that cavalary and long range weaponry is superior to shield walls and meele combat

im at day 1037. strugia holds 5 cities and is the second weakest faction from all surviving till that point. The main reason it survived is because it didnt waged wars with multiple stronger faction. One, two tops and those having wars with others as well.
The other reason being me dedicated to uphold faction ballance by fighting
and weakening the strongest ones. But that is non-direct.

To adress some propositions

1) Clan rebellions

2) Civil war

3) Peasant/city rebellions ( large ones ) :

- Improving simulation battles calculation
- Giving Sturgia better racial trait.

These seem fair. I would not nerf cavalary though. It was already buffed by the order of other fans, and rightly so.
Other steady diplomacy/AI improvements are just a standard for any major patch.

I suggest we look at history and see what made norsemen so op during their time, and russians holding throughout this period.
By wikipedia it was "MOBILITY" of their ships, that allowed them to harras and outmaneuver their enemies.
If it comes to russia, their best survival treat has always been winter.

Since we cant have boats, I suggest we buff Strugians troops athletics and basicaly make them european zulus.
And increase army losses in mobility, food, cohesion ect at snow terrain, while making strugians for the most part immune to these effects.

They already have internal conflicts in Vlandria and Sturgia second most powerful lords hate king, in Aserai we have blood feud between two major clans, in Khuzain lands there is Khergits who feel opressed by others and ignored by Monchug.

well to be fair - HISTORICALY - strugia-like factions didnt lasted long, while europeans and mongols kicked everybody arround for ages
its just a fact that cavalary and long range weaponry is superior to shield walls and meele combat

Actually, before great mongol invasion early Russian factions successfully fought steppe tribes. Also, Rus was never completely conquered even by mongols. So yeah, shieldwalls and melee combat is pretty effective outside of steppes, where is cavalry have overthelming advantage.

well my apology. they appereantly held some little of their own. While on grand scale of thing been pushed arround.
Just like they are in game :p Historical accuracy at its finest.

Yes I think the idea of a far more severe winter attrition for non-Sturgian units is interesting to give them a better chance.

Yes I think the idea of a far more severe winter attrition for non-Sturgian units is interesting to give them a better chance.

that would still leave a problem though, about non-strugian armies joining strugian army, adding all those debuffs anyway
but at least at the first 300 days they would be significantly stronger

On 1.4.2, day 659, Think Khergit have an extra 3 towns, Western empire an extra 2, Vlandia 1.I'm with Western, so have helped them to a degree in holding off Battanian advances.

I've just recently hit clan level 4, so can have 4 parties including myself.

Definitely feels a long way from a single faction taking over, though Northern Empire are down to only 3 towns.

Not too bad really. Would be nice to see Northern take back a town for balance.
Yeah the map campaign flow seems to be much better in 1.4.2 from what I'm seeing. Towns/castles are changing hands, but nowhere near as frequent as they used to. War exhaustion and high garrison numbers seem to be making a difference.

After a year, Sturgia is not only holding all it's original fiefs, but are expanding into Empire territory. They would've taken some land off of Battania and Vlandia if I didn't intervene.

Yeah the map campaign flow seems to be much better in 1.4.2 from what I'm seeing. Towns/castles are changing hands, but nowhere near as frequent as they used to. War exhaustion and high garrison numbers seem to be making a difference.

After a year, Sturgia is not only holding all it's original fiefs, but are expanding into Empire territory. They would've taken some land off of Battania and Vlandia if I didn't intervene.
Might just be luck? I started a new campaign for 1.4.2, and after 200 days, the Western Empire was down to one city, and the Northern Empire was down to two. Sturgia was somehow in decent shape though. This was a game where I didn't take part in wars at all, and only did trade.

It doesn't help that once clans lose their fiefs they leave their faction within a few days, weakening them further. I don't think I have ever seen factions make a come back once they lose a few fiefs and a clan or two following it.
Clans shouldn't really be leaving that quickly, especially if they have good relations with their King/Queen.

That's good news.

I think some of the apparent imbalance is caused by the geography and that each faction starts at war with the same kingdoms. I've never finished a campaign but taken 5 or 6 to day 3-500.
I've always rolled with vandalia mostly though because I think their position on the map is strategically adventageous, as is that of the kergits on the other side of the map. The kergits havecthe advantage of moving faster on the campaign map which is actually considerable.

Sturgia and Britania are usually gone or down to a couple of settlements within the first 300 or so days. By this time also usually one of the empire factions has gone the same way. I think I will side with an empire faction next time around and hope to achieve some balance. It's not great trying to start and empire with two super powers breathing down your neck. Having said that I dont really rate vandalia units apart from their cross bows.

Vlandia have a pretty strong roster in my opinion.

Their cavalry may not be the best if you compare it with Kuzhait or Aserai but it is still pretty competent.

Then their elite infantry sergeants are the second best infantry in the game after imperial legionaries. They can beat all other infantry units 1vs1.

Crossbows are especially good against cavalry but dominated by archers however you can recruit them from forest bandits everywhere.

I think it is Sturgia who could do with a buff on their high tier units.

Back
Top Bottom