How will NPC lords recruit men ?

Users who are viewing this thread

It shall be forgiven if this was asked before/already had its topic.
We already know that raiding NPC lords' fiefs will weaken them and decrease their troop number&quality.
So the game will be more fair and NPC's are going to have to obey the same rules that the player obeys.

Will travelling village to village & recruiting go for the NPC lords as well ?
Or just like in Warband will they just sit in their castles or cities and their troops numbers will increase magically ?

Will this ''raided villages weakening NPC lords'' stuff be an organic thing or just a penalty type of thing ?
From the look of it I feel like it will be completly organic but it is not mentioned anywhere(at least I wasnt able to find anything).

It's actually a good question.

Since the feature that we can just recruit soldiers directly from villages has been taken out? (right???)
And now we must recruit through important people in cities and possibly villages.

If other lords also need a middleman in a city to gain recruits, I am curious how the whole raiding of villages will decrease troop quality feature will work like. If villages provide less goods and men to their trade city. Then no matter your reputation with the recruiter. Everyone will get lesser recruits, no matter their standing.

Code:
  #script_update_npc_volunteer_troops_in_village
  # INPUT: arg1 = center_no
  # OUTPUT: none
  ("update_npc_volunteer_troops_in_village",
    [
       (store_script_param, ":center_no", 1),
       (party_get_slot, ":center_culture", ":center_no", slot_center_culture),
       (faction_get_slot, ":volunteer_troop", ":center_culture", slot_faction_tier_1_troop),
       (assign, ":volunteer_troop_tier", 1),
       (try_for_range, ":unused", 0, 5),
         (store_random_in_range, ":random_no", 0, 100),
         (lt, ":random_no", 10),
         (store_random_in_range, ":random_no", 0, 2),
         (troop_get_upgrade_troop, ":upgrade_troop_no", ":volunteer_troop", ":random_no"),
         (try_begin),
           (le, ":upgrade_troop_no", 0),
           (troop_get_upgrade_troop, ":upgrade_troop_no", ":volunteer_troop", 0),
         (try_end),
         (gt, ":upgrade_troop_no", 0),
         (val_add, ":volunteer_troop_tier", 1),
         (assign, ":volunteer_troop", ":upgrade_troop_no"),
       (try_end),

(assign, ":upper_limit", 12),

(store_add, ":amount_random_divider", 2, ":volunteer_troop_tier"),
       (val_div, ":upper_limit", ":amount_random_divider"),

(store_random_in_range, ":amount", 0, ":upper_limit"),
       (party_set_slot, ":center_no", slot_center_npc_volunteer_troop_type, ":volunteer_troop"),
       (party_set_slot, ":center_no", slot_center_npc_volunteer_troop_amount, ":amount"),
     ]),

jackalj said:
It's actually a good question.

Since the feature that we can just recruit soldiers directly from villages has been taken out? (right???)
And now we must recruit through important people in cities and possibly villages.

If other lords also need a middleman in a city to gain recruits, I am curious how the whole raiding of villages will decrease troop quality feature will work like. If villages provide less goods and men to their trade city. Then no matter your reputation with the recruiter. Everyone will get lesser recruits, no matter their standing.

We actually know some stuff about what changed for the player.

“There have been many changes to the recruitment system. First of all, players can recruit base troops only from notables of fiefs. Some notables even provide higher level troops, such as archers or infantry, rather than just recruits. Depending on the relations with that particular NPC, they can provide a reduction in the recruitment cost or offer more troops for the player to hire.
Some special troops, such as Vlandian Knights, represent minor nobility. These kinds of units have completely different troop trees. In the instance of Vlandian Knights, they can only be upgraded from Vlandian Squires, who in turn can only be recruited from NPC nobles. With this in mind, it is wise to maintain good relations with Vlandian nobles if your eventual aim is to have Vlandian Knights in your party.
However, that’s not to say that you are restricted from acquiring heavy cavalry if your relations with the Vlandian nobility is too poor. You will still have access to Vlandian Men-at- arms, who are almost as skilled as Knights but aren’t as heavily armoured.”

This is from Dev Blog 07/09/17 Ceren's blog.

What I am curious about is that how much similiar will the NPC lords recruitment system be to player's recruitment system.
Will they also try to maintain their relations with the notables ?
Will they also work on improving their relations with the nobles in order to get more squires ?
Will they also travel village to village in order to collect some recruits ?
Or will it be only the player that running around doing errands and travelling village to village in order to earn some recruits while NPC lords -like in warband- sit on their back and magically increase their troop number and quality.

Long story short: How much will the AI obey to same rules with the player ?

It might be possible for you to just send somebody out to gather recruits so you could just sit in your castle and wait for new troops like the Lord's do.  :fruity:

This time lords will be weaker late game in term of recruiting because they will have to wander in their own villages while player can recruit in all friendly villages and even recruit bandits.

vota dc said:
This time lords will be weaker late game in term of recruiting because they will have to wander in their own villages while player can recruit in all friendly villages and even recruit bandits.

It might be you have to have permission from the lord of the village or be the lord, in order to recruit from that village. Game isn't out yet

I would really appreciate if there were many more ways to recruit men in Bannerlord.Apart from the system we are already said:

1-If you have a city you can put recruitment advertisement on the walls of the city.You have to wait for 3 days but at the end 10 times more recruits will come as a result.Ofc the number of volunteers will change due to your relation with city and the prosperity of the city.

2-

At first I thought sth like Mongol invasion in Med II total war.
There were Mongol armies who belonged to a faction which wasnt completely in the map.
Just like that there were going to be Nordic armies invading.
But since the idea was too scripted for the sandboxness of Mount and Blade I decided to turn the Professional Nordic armies to Nordic refugee clans who didnt belong to a faction.
This way they would be no more scripted than Looters or Bandits only differences are that they will represent the Nordic culture, they will have chiefs of whom you can conduct diplomacy with and also you can join them, capture fiefs for them and turn them to a kingdom at some point.

-Isnt more scripted than popping up bandits/looters.
-Contributes a lot to the diplomacy.You can talk to a chief and make him go to war against another chief this way, you will weaken two potential enemies.
-You can use them as mercenaries.
-If you are still not a lord to any faction, you can join them(This will please people like 578 WHO wants pure nordic stuff)
-It will be challanging to turn a tribe to a faction and then conquer whole Calradia with it.

The only differences are they will be weaker than minor factions and they will be nomad at the start(until they manage to capture a fief ofc) and they wont be dependent on any major factions (unless they are bribed by one ofc- but even that wont be permanent.If another faction pays even more they will change sides).

1-Until they capture a fief they will loot villages and caravans just like bandits and looters.
2-At one point a faction will bribe them to maybe loot another faction's villages.This way there wont be diplomatic penalty.
3-After getting wealthier their troop numbers will naturally increase so their alliances will be more valuable than ever.At this point they wont be only used for pillaging or looting but lords will actually hire them when they are about to besiege a strong castle/city.
4-As a reward -since we have a barter system now- we can give them a village attached to the newly conquered castle instead of a sum of money.(I dont know you guys but forgoing one village in return of a castle is very acceptable for me)
5-Or if they do the majority of the job they can have the castle itself no problem.With this at least the enemy will be loosing one castle even if we are not gaining one.Also they will be the ones defending the castle in a siege.In Warband after all, giving garrison to a newly conquered castle/town was problematic for the player.

They wont come to a strong position easily.If we add 10 Nordic refugee tribes like this and 8 Khergit refugee tribes for the eastern factions,
factions will be destroying them most likely before they get any strength.

And the remaining ones will mostly be just actors/pawns of the major factions.

I was actually a bit inspired by the Romans in this idea.They bribed many Germanic tribes to become their mercenaries.
In return they gave them lands.
They did the same thing with the Huns as well(they gave them money though not lands).
Some of those Germanic tribes later became a problem for them.
This didnt happen only in Roman Empire.
Chinese bribed other Turkic tribes against the main Turkic empire many times.
In the dev blog about Khuzait Khanate we learn that Calradic Empire also used different chiefs to stop a rising khan.

So it will be a great feature to add to the game in my opinion.

For those who didnt read my second suggestion under the Nordic invasion in Bannerlord topic, you can read the spoiler.

Yes,the second new way should be this.Bribing the refugee Nordic/Khergit chiefdoms and using them as mercenaries.
But they wont become your soldiers dont get me wrong, it is just their armies that will fulfill your wills.
The bribe will not be just Money.You know the barter system, they will ask for lands(fiefs) to settle.
Except Khergits though they will only be bribed with Money since they are nomads.

3-Mercenary organisations all over Calradia.No need for further explaining they will live in highly defended castles and they will be expensive but very professional.They can even have an assassin sub-sect.
And this assassin sub-sect can help you with https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,372539.0.html .

I can already see the mercenary/assassin organisation in the Aserai lands. They will be inspired by Hashasins.Wearing black turbans etc.

KhergitLancer80 said:
I would really appreciate if there were many more ways to recruit men in Bannerlord.Apart from the system we are already said:

1-If you have a city you can put recruitment advertisement on the walls of the city.You have to wait for 3 days but at the end 10 times more recruits will come as a result.Ofc the number of volunteers will change due to your relation with city and the prosperity of the city.

2-

There were Mongol armies who belonged to a faction which wasnt completely in the map.
But since the idea was too scripted for the sandboxness of Mount and Blade I decided to turn the Professional Nordic armies to Nordic refugee clans who didnt belong to a faction.
This way they would be no more scripted than Looters or Bandits only differences are that they will represent the Nordic culture, they will have chiefs of whom you can conduct diplomacy with and also you can join them, capture fiefs for them and turn them to a kingdom at some point.

-Contributes a lot to the diplomacy.You can talk to a chief and make him go to war against another chief this way, you will weaken two potential enemies.
-If you are still not a lord to any faction, you can join them(This will please people like 578 WHO wants pure nordic stuff)
-It will be challanging to turn a tribe to a faction and then conquer whole Calradia with it.

The only differences are they will be weaker than minor factions and they will be nomad at the start(until they manage to capture a fief ofc) and they wont be dependent on any major factions (unless they are bribed by one ofc- but even that wont be permanent.If another faction pays even more they will change sides).

1-Until they capture a fief they will loot villages and caravans just like bandits and looters.
2-At one point a faction will bribe them to maybe loot another faction's villages.This way there wont be diplomatic penalty.
3-After getting wealthier their troop numbers will naturally increase so their alliances will be more valuable than ever.At this point they wont be only used for pillaging or looting but lords will actually hire them when they are about to besiege a strong castle/city.
4-As a reward -since we have a barter system now- we can give them a village attached to the newly conquered castle instead of a sum of money.(I dont know you guys but forgoing one village in return of a castle is very acceptable for me)
5-Or if they do the majority of the job they can have the castle itself no problem.With this at least the enemy will be loosing one castle even if we are not gaining one.Also they will be the ones defending the castle in a siege.In Warband after all, giving garrison to a newly conquered castle/town was problematic for the player.

They wont come to a strong position easily.If we add 10 Nordic refugee tribes like this and 8 Khergit refugee tribes for the eastern factions,

I was actually a bit inspired by the Romans in this idea.They bribed many Germanic tribes to become their mercenaries.
They did the same thing with the Huns as well(they gave them money though not lands).
In the dev blog about Khuzait Khanate we learn that Calradic Empire also used different chiefs to stop a rising khan.

For those who didnt read my second suggestion under the Nordic invasion in Bannerlord topic, you can read the spoiler.

Yes,the second new way should be this.Bribing the refugee Nordic/Khergit chiefdoms and using them as mercenaries.
But they wont become your soldiers dont get me wrong, it is just their armies that will fulfill your wills.
The bribe will not be just Money.You know the barter system, they will ask for lands(fiefs) to settle.
Except Khergits though they will only be bribed with Money since they are nomads.

3-Mercenary organisations all over Calradia.No need for further explaining they will live in highly defended castles and they will be expensive but very professional.They can even have an assassin sub-sect.
And this assassin sub-sect can help you with https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,372539.0.html .

I can already see the mercenary/assassin organisation in the Aserai lands. They will be inspired by Hashasins.Wearing black turbans etc.

Holy **** this is perfect.

I can already taste the amount of politics and messy lies and bribery and blood flowing through the calradic economy over the fight for the throne thinking about this.

Im trying to think of downsides to this, for long term and short term gameplay, and its very hard to think about it.

Maybe the AI is too stupid to use this correctly and ruins the game flow?

But this is a very good idea, and its hard to find a downside.

+3

KhergitLancer80 said:

2-

I just have one thing to add. I assume (hope) that the minor factions will also have their own internal politics. So maybe in exchange for helping them usurp the previous chief/faction leader the new faction leader will give you troops do do with as you please.

Back
Top Bottom