How to win?

Users who are viewing this thread

LockeAndKey

Recruit
I booted this mod up, tried to recruit some Persian youths, and instantly ran out of denars because they cost 10 times the normal amount. I was ambushed by escaped helots and my tiny band of three warriors (including myself) succumbed to their attacks. When I escaped a bit later, I decided to start very slowly and carefully building up wealth with trade guild quests. The first one was to deliver some goods to a tavern over in Greece, so I started hoofing it. I barely made it to the town in time despite having no delays and traveling at 5.3 speed due to having a party of one. If the delivery had been in Italy, I never would've made it in time.

Now, I understand that the mod is in an eternal alpha state and it can be expected that a lot of things won't function, so I'm not here to whine about it. What I'm here for is to ask how do you actually win in this mod. Do you just accept regular defeats until you build up enough XP to be able to take on small armies by yourself? Is there some trick to making loads of cash? Are recruits much cheaper in some parts of the world than others, or are there other ways of building an army that work better? Or is this mod condemned to forever be the tale of one guy wandering around fighting hopeless battles with his really nice looking Greek armor?

Follow-up question: If this mod has reached a state where you can play and win, how long does it take? The mod seems to have taken the approach of adding in every single city-state who was historically involved in the war rather than sticking to 3-4 cities per faction. Does that make the mod impossibly long to play, or does it just mean that NPCs capture a lot of cities or what?

I've found when starting the easiest way to get troops is to hit up the villages and recruit from there.  Then attack small NPC bandits to build up XP, wash and repeat.  Start cash will come from the loot from the dead bandits and will slowly build up.

As far as winning, the ultimate would be to take over the map of course.  But as you've pointed out that's a LOT of map.  I generally shoot for becoming a well known and loved vassal with holdings.  Being elected your factions Marshall is pretty good too.

As far as winning, the ultimate would be to take over the map of course.  But as you've pointed out that's a LOT of map.  I generally shoot for becoming a well known and loved vassal with holdings.  Being elected your factions Marshall is pretty good too.

In all the time I have played Warband and the various mods, I have never even come close to finishing the game.  I think the longest I have ever taken a characters was around 800 days.  I guess I need to just focus on a single mod and stick to it to the bloody end to see what happens!

Back
Top Bottom