How to punish noobs who turtle up with shield and wait for friends to come help?

Users who are viewing this thread

heavy inf controls the game.

Also I think shields still have more health in captain, tdm and siege than in skirmish. I've never had a problem with really defensive turtlers that didn't just end with a kick.

I just get behind them as they're slower holding up a shield. If they back up into a wall or corner that's when multiple people + a well timed kick can potentially open them up faster than a shield break but it can still take time just to get one person, potentially eating an arrow in the back.

The main job of an infantry is to stay alive, it was true in WB and it still is. Thing is that as infantry if you also don't pose ANY threat to the enemy you're also not doing your job because there's dozens of ways to punish teams for having an overly passive player. If someone is turtling and S keying in a group fight usually they fall back behind their teamates and that should let you turn around and start 2v1ing any other infantry. It's also possible to just breeze past them and shut an archer down. If they attack you while you try to disengage well there you go they're not turtling anymore.

Unfortunately, unlike warband it's usually not that valuable to just try and smash their shield to bits since it takes so long but if it comes down to a 1v1 thats basically all you can try and do. If there are other things you can do to assist your team just go do that if someone is turtling.

Unfortunately, unlike warband it's usually not that valuable to just try and smash their shield to bits since it takes so long but if it comes down to a 1v1 thats basically all you can try and do. If there are other things you can do to assist your team just go do that if someone is turtling.

That might be the most annoying time actually, during a 1v1. Maybe this is why we haven't seen duel servers yet lol. Against a turtler I can throw out 20x feints, combo attacks and perfect foot work but it's all nullified by holding down RMB. Unless you have an axe that shield won't be breaking anytime soon.

As I implied in my earlier response, I've not found someone to be just hiding behind a shield a cause for too much trouble. They've essentially ceded initiative to me and whatever I want to do, along with the fact they think I'm the superior player because they are no longer trying to engage me. There are a bunch of people who can beat me, I'm average, but by not even trying it becomes a non-issue. If it's the end of the match and I'm the only one up, I'm in for the same hard time one player turtling or not, and even odds on that turtle letting me get some swings on his allies who think I'm not paying attention. Which I count as a benefit. If I'm not playing skirmish, I can just ignore the turtle; there's no shortage of people to beat on.

As far as potential fixes or balancing, I guess there could be some to consider. Someone mentioned shield fatigue. If they're not changing the class system, I doubt they'd want to implement stamina; and then have to listen to the choruses of people wanting it to be applied to two hands, archers, sprinting, jumping, and whatever else the nerf of the weak club is talking about. In addition, do inf really need to be made less effective, and how would that impact assaulting in siege. I'm generally against it.
A second potential fix could be making the shields in general weaker. If memory serves, there was a thought in WB that they broke too fast. Against two handers in particular. I guess it's workable, especially as TWs professes to be looking at balance and stuff throughout EA.
A third thought I had was to mess with the shields resistances. Make slashing weapons do more damage to shields in general, with an even greater bonuses for axes, lower the amount of damage piercing weapons do the them. I don't know about blunt, make it baseline? It'd keep shields effective against ranged and cav and let inf counter inf so it could be less of a nerf for the base class. If someone was asking me, I might like this the best. Yea, it's not perfect, but I'm used to my M&B not being perfect. I just need it to be fun.
Finally, I guess you could make people who are holding up shields even slower. Maybe even just slower for everything but W, so they can still be worthwhile for assaulting castles. It'd certainly let someone get around a turtle easier. I'm sure there are other choices I've not thought of, but figured I'd throw my brainstorm out there.

I find myself in a 1v3 many times and facing some noob holding up a shield not even attacking, just waiting till his friends arrive in a minute. How do you counter this? Also if you do this you are a coward.

As if mindlessly attacking with a weapon is any better...
The point of a shield is to block. The point of a Skirmish game is to win. What you call cowardice, is literally called Tactics.

If the single player just blocks and you aren't skilled enough to stop it. Walk away. You don't have to fight, and you are exceptionally misguided in staying if you KNOW help is coming for them. Just like Archers who stand in the open are asking to be flattened by Cavalry.

As Far as shields go, I pretty much always take an axe for that purpose.

"A player who blocks with a weapon is a coward cause the weapon never breaks and I can't ever hit him".

Like... Wut?

As if mindlessly attacking with a weapon is any better...
The point of a shield is to block. The point of a Skirmish game is to win. What you call cowardice, is literally called Tactics.

If the single player just blocks and you aren't skilled enough to stop it. Walk away. You don't have to fight, and you are exceptionally misguided in staying if you KNOW help is coming for them. Just like Archers who stand in the open are asking to be flattened by Cavalry.

As Far as shields go, I pretty much always take an axe for that purpose.

"A player who blocks with a weapon is a coward cause the weapon never breaks and I can't ever hit him".

Like... Wut?
uh.. blocking with a weapon takes SKILL how is that being a coward? Cav, archers and shield holders are all cowards who are insecure about their 1v1 dueling skills = bad players :smile: triggered?

uh.. blocking with a weapon takes SKILL how is that being a coward? Cav, archers and shield holders are all cowards who are insecure about their 1v1 dueling skills = bad players :smile: triggered?

Evidently you can't detect sarcasm.

I was making a joke. That you would also complain about Weapon blocks because the weapon can just infinitely block and you can't kill them.

I could care less about dueling skills in a video game, but was top tier in For Honor competitively, which has a much more difficult learning curve.

If you really can't beat someone who Shield spams. Sorry to tell you, you're just bad.

If you can't beat them BECAUSE they bring friends, Well then you are just stupid. Why fight out numbered?

Evidently you can't detect sarcasm.

I was making a joke. That you would also complain about Weapon blocks because the weapon can just infinitely block and you can't kill them.

I could care less about dueling skills in a video game, but was top tier in For Honor competitively, which has a much more difficult learning curve.

If you really can't beat someone who Shield spams. Sorry to tell you, you're just bad.

If you can't beat them BECAUSE they bring friends, Well then you are just stupid. Why fight out numbered?
never said I can't beat one, I said its too powerful that some noob can delay their death for like 4 minutes, makes for bad gameplay.

Shield bash against shield does nothing, kicking is too short a stun to open him up in a meaningful way,
Generally I'm finding the stun is long enough to get a quick thrust in, and two or three of those tends to put an end to it. Plus you can always kick them to death (or even better, over the nearest wall if playing siege. Yelling 'This is Calradia!' while doing so is entirely optional). Also as the kick doesn't leave you locked quite as long as Warband's did it's possible to kick and move around the side which lets you abuse the directional blocking somewhat (given they'll normally block towards the side you're trying to move around, a swing or overhead usually catches them out; with a relatively quick one hander I've even managed to hit them behind the shield via that method).

Back
Top Bottom