How to mod WFAS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey everyone  :grin:

Im trying to create my own french revolution era mod and want to use WFAS as a base... How easy is it to mod?

I have a few questions as im not as familiar with WFAS as i am with native, Nap Wars and VC...

> How do i remove/disable the storyline so i can have a sandbox game? (There are a couple of mods that do this but not sure how they did it)

> Is it a big task to add cannons? (again, a couple of other mods do this so its not impossible)

> How do i transfer the musket (and bayonet) animations from Nap Wars into this?

> Does WFAS have good musket era formations (like L'aigle has line formations) and if not is that difficult to implement? (so AI uses them too)

Any help much appreciated! thanks  :grin:

NicoleUK said:
Hey everyone  :grin:

Im trying to create my own french revolution era mod and want to use WFAS as a base... How easy is it to mod?

WFaS is as easy as Warband to mod. The main difference is:

1. WFaS uses Warband’s 1.143 engine - you can’t use any operations later than this, including new ones added for NW and VC.

2. Names etc. are derived from the CSV language files - any changes to names in the module system will be ignored if the language files remain in place. I recommend deleting the mod’s language folders. However, this will result in some Russian dialogue etc. as the programmers of WFaS didn’t always use English in their module system. It can take a little while to correct all of these.
I have a few questions as im not as familiar with WFAS as i am with native, Nap Wars and VC...

> How do i remove/disable the storyline so i can have a sandbox game? (There are a couple of mods that do this but not sure how they did it)

The storyline comes from three main areas:
1. Introductory tutorial - I recommend changing the game start menus to disable the tutorial
2. Quests - use id_quests.py to work through the storyline quests that have to be disabled
3. NPC dialogue - mainly Colonel Zagloba’s storyline dialogues need to be disabled

> Is it a big task to add cannons? (again, a couple of other mods do this so its not impossible)
Dr Tomas’s code for Twilight of the Sun King is OSP - search it’s module system for all cannon related code, port to WFaS and debug (the bugs remaining in ToSK create red error codes but still work - debug to remove them).

> How do i transfer the musket (and bayonet) animations from Nap Wars into this?

The NW animations are copyright - can’t be used in a published WFaS mod.

> Does WFAS have good musket era formations (like L'aigle has line formations) and if not is that difficult to implement? (so AI uses them too)
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,209923.0.html

Thank you for your reply :grin: I really appreciate it! I have a couple more questions if its not too much trouble?

[/quote]
WFaS is as easy as Warband to mod. The main difference is:

1. WFaS uses Warband’s 1.143 engine - you can’t use any operations later than this, including new ones added for NW and VC.

2. Names etc. are derived from the CSV language files - any changes to names in the module system will be ignored if the language files remain in place. I recommend deleting the mod’s language folders. However, this will result in some Russian dialogue etc. as the programmers of WFaS didn’t always use English in their module system. It can take a little while to correct all of these.
1 - what do you mean by operations? are these the same as tweaks? (im not the best with terminology  :oops:)
2 - so just delete all language folders (do i keep the English one?). is the Russian dialogue something that is in game or just in the module files?

The storyline comes from three main areas:
1. Introductory tutorial - I recommend changing the game start menus to disable the tutorial
2. Quests - use id_quests.py to work through the storyline quests that have to be disabled
3. NPC dialogue - mainly Colonel Zagloba’s storyline dialogues need to be disabled
1 - can this be done by just deleting the part for the tutorial?
2 - again can these quests be simply deleted or do i need a certain trigger or something?
3 - would i need to rewrite his dialogue or simply remove altogether? (and is his the only one to worry about?)

by doing this would i be able to have a free sandbox game? (as im trying to mod a different setting i dont want a scripted game. VC had at least a sandbox option so you could just ignore the storyline altogether, it made it so much easier to mod)
Dr Tomas’s code for Twilight of the Sun King is OSP - search it’s module system for all cannon related code, port to WFaS and debug (the bugs remaining in ToSK create red error codes but still work - debug to remove them).
Oh didnt realise that mod was open sourced! by port to WFAS do you just mean copy the bits of code over? and how would i debug them? (i thought when you 'build' your mod with the module system it debugged it automatically?  :???:)

Did you manage to get cannons into your mod ok or was there a lot of hassle? (I love your mod btw! :grin:)
The NW animations are copyright - can’t be used in a published WFaS mod.
didnt know that, thanks for letting me know! is there any good OSP musket (and bayonet) animations you can recommend?
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,209923.0.html

Thank you!  :grin:

1. Operations = engine code listed in header_operations.py
2. Russian language is in module files but appears in game when you delete the language files, which translate it. If you don’t delete the English language files you can change the name of Warsaw to Paris in module_parties.py but the game will still call it Warsaw because it defaults to the translations not the module system.
3. Don’t delete the tutorial. Change the start menus to skip round it.
4. To disable quests you comment out the code one quest at a time, compile and use the errors to track other parts of that particular quest to comment out. Recompile and correct until no more errors on compilation.
5. IIRC Zagloba’s dialogue gives the player quest prompts/clues, which need to be disabled.
6. If the storyline quests are disabled WFaS will be a sandbox, which can be reused for other mods.
7. Debugging is all trial and error - nothing’s automated. WFaS is just version 1.143 Warband customised so ToSK Warband code can be inserted into it. Cannons took time, mainly because I recoded damage, changed crew sizes and debugged the error messages. None of which is required or done for L’Aigle.

Back
Top Bottom