SP Tutorial World Map How to make Campaign Maps

Users who are viewing this thread

Demonwolf

Knight
Alright, before I start, I would like to say that this is an updated version of Hulagu Khan's old Thorgrim Map editor. His tutorial has always helped me when I made maps. Also, to show you the effectiveness of it, here's a screenie of one of my past works:

mapmod.png

First, you need:

Thorgrim's Map Editor http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,5646.0.html
GIMP http://www.gimp.org

First, when dealing with real maps, you need a topographic version of the map. Topographic maps put more detail in elevation so you don’t have to do everything by hand.

The best way to start out is by getting a topographic world map here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/WorldMap-A_non-Frame.png

Now, find the area you are going to be mapping. Select the area you are going to be mapping but bigger than what you actually need for the red borders, so you won't be able to see jagged edges at the end of the map.

mappiescreen1.png

Then, copy your selection and paste it as a new image. Next, scale it to 300 (width) x 400 (height), or the other way round (400x300).

mappiescreen2.png

Next, select the ocean with either the 'Select by Color' tool or the 'Fuzzy Select' tool. Then turn them to a lighter colour. This can be achieved in several ways, namely 'Colorize'. I usually change them to white, which is much easier, but that's me. Make sure you just change the ocean, and not the land.

Next, copy the map into a new image, so now you have two maps. Desaturate the first map. Gaussian blur the second map just a little, like by 1.

mappiescreen3.png

For the second map, change the land into a uniform color. Next, open your M&BMapEditor file and open editorData. Open MapPallet with GIMP. Use the Color Picker tool and select the Plains colour and copy the color code. Then, open your second map and use the 'Color Exchange' function and change your land to the Plains color. Next, copy the ocean color and do the same for your ocean.

mappiescreen4.png

For the first map, 'Value Invert' it and turn everything except your mountains into black. Make sure your mountains are lighter and stand out. Then, Gaussian Blur it, this time by 5.

mappiescreen5.png

Now, save the first map, or height map, in bmp. Next, save your second map, or color map, as a bmp with the same name as the first map but with a '-c' at the end. So if you first map is 'euromap.bmp', the second map should be 'euromap-c.bmp'. Transfer your two bmps to the mapdata folder in the editorData folder.

mappiescreen6.png

Finally, open your M&B Map Editor and click import. Import first your color map, then your height map. Voila!

mappiescreen7.png

This is not the end result, however. Now you get to edit to your liking.

In the end, we get something like this:

euromapscreen.png

Duh said:
3 of the spoilers are empty for me. Could you add the according pics again?  :wink:

Done. They should appear correctly now.

Sayd Ûthman said:
just to say, don't use the height map here, because it has too many verticles

But manually adding mountains is really tricky and inaccurate.

Basicaly i got sort of problem, i did map of europe, i paint it verry well, but after im importing it in editor some places on the map geting sort of broken, as example, Ireland is square :roll: when sicily (which even smaller then ireland) is alrite...
So I did second map from the beggine and it got even worsed, while whole world is ok, whole Britain is squared... Any clue what causing that and how to fix it?

And another think, i cant figureout how to make map larger, im messing with all files but everytime i start up editor its always in same size

Wulfdann said:
Basicaly i got sort of problem, i did map of europe, i paint it verry well, but after im importing it in editor some places on the map geting sort of broken, as example, Ireland is square :roll: when sicily (which even smaller then ireland) is alrite...
So I did second map from the beggine and it got even worsed, while whole world is ok, whole Britain is squared... Any clue what causing that and how to fix it?

And another think, i cant figureout how to make map larger, im messing with all files but everytime i start up editor its always in same size

1. Could you please post a screenie?

2. To make the map bigger, go to your Map Editor file, go in editorData, go into settings (open with notepad if you don't have anything else to open .cfg), then press Ctrl-F and search for "#  Size of new maps when created (in game units)". Change the numbers to anything you want, for example:

Code:
#  Size of new maps when created (in game units)
MapWidth=500
MapHeight=500

Hope it helps.

oh thanks

also, could someone send me an exported heightmap and coloured map of warband?

Capture

europemap-cddd

Those are the screens,
and I cant change size in settings.cfg, even if i tipe 1000X1000 its always same...

Back
Top Bottom