SP Tutorial World Map How to make Campaign Maps

Users who are viewing this thread

Druidic said:
So, I'm working on a 1700's mod, and the first thing I thought of was getting a Europe map. However, at the VERY END OF THIS GUIDE, I imported the maps I made of Central Europe, and it just appears all broken... not even looking like Europe at all.

Was it an error on my end? I didn't use ALL of Europe, mind you, just the region where Austria, Poland, Prussia, Russia, the Ottoman Empire, and the Crimean Khanate were in the 1700's.

Here's some shots.
9j1y6gb.png

qxtZ4lD.png

For some reason, the key gets stuck on move constantly in the editor, and there's no way to stop the camera from moving off the map and into void.
Try making the .bmp of square dimensions, e.g. 1000x1000, 500x500, just something with same dimensions.

This may be a dumb question, but on the last step, when importing both color map and height map, how can that be done?

Because right now, the first time I open Thorgrim's map editor, I can chose between importing Height map or Color map, but after I've done that once, this option never appears again. So if I start by importing the color map, any subsequent Menu->Import forwards me directly to the image selection, making it impossible to import a Height map. Restarting the map editor doesn't change this.

Ramaraunt said:
I can't seem to get a smooth map going... can someone help?

Seeing as how the thread's been long dead, I doubt anybody will help.

But, there's one fix a guy replying to me last year suggested for blocky maps.
Sherlock Holmes said:
Druidic said:
So, I'm working on a 1700's mod, and the first thing I thought of was getting a Europe map. However, at the VERY END OF THIS GUIDE, I imported the maps I made of Central Europe, and it just appears all broken... not even looking like Europe at all.

Was it an error on my end? I didn't use ALL of Europe, mind you, just the region where Austria, Poland, Prussia, Russia, the Ottoman Empire, and the Crimean Khanate were in the 1700's.

Here's some shots.
9j1y6gb.png

qxtZ4lD.png

For some reason, the key gets stuck on move constantly in the editor, and there's no way to stop the camera from moving off the map and into void.
Try making the .bmp of square dimensions, e.g. 1000x1000, 500x500, just something with same dimensions.

Changing the dimensions didn't help one bit. Is it now impossible for this tool to work for some reason? I'm noticing a lot of people towards the end of this post describing the same things im seeing.

The tutorial is very helpful actually, I do this a little bit different.
I reccomend EarthSculptor. It is like paint but for 3D terrain. You can import custom brushes and height maps or what ever else you want.

So you paint your map and export it as .obj.
Whack it into Wings3D to scale it to proportion with the Native map (You get an .obj mesh of the Native map by exporting it with Swyter's Cartographer)
Then you export it as a .obj again, whack it into Cartographer, export as a map text file.
Finally you throw it into Thorgrim's Map Editor, paint the biomes and move the towns/villages about and finally save it.

Thats the easiest way for me to make a campaign map.

Hey Tyden, thanks for the alternative method. It's always difficult and frustrating for me to learn new software from scratch (blender I'm looking at you) that I won't be using for a lot more than just to do a very specific job (the map for now) and your method sounds like an improvement on a very old method (and to be honest I found it very difficult to find info up-to-date on how to do maps!)
I guess what I'm trying to say is could you please find the time to write a short step by step on how you do all the "wacking" bits? if you could do that It would be amazing (and if you can't thanks all the same, I'll try it on my own  :grin:)

Back
Top Bottom