How to Import custom Skeletons with correct Bone rotations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Salochin

Recruit
I have been working with custom skeletons in Bannerlord for several days. I have created several custom skeletons/armatures in Blender and have been exporting them as FBX files. When I import a skeleton into Bannerlord, the rotation of the bones appears incorrectly, often seeming to be 90 degrees off from how the bone is supposed to appear. As a result, the bones do not "connect" to each other. While skeletal animations still play correctly, the process of implementing collision/ragdoll information on the skeleton becomes extremely challenging if not impossible. The "Auto Generate Joints" feature of the Skeleton Editor has no effect, which is likely (but possibly) not related. Either way, I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge or suggestions for importing skeletons into Bannerlord to where the bones appear to be oriented correctly?

The screenshot below shows the incorrect appearance of my imported Dragon skeleton.
i5a3kyx.png

I have been working with custom skeletons in Bannerlord for several days. I have created several custom skeletons/armatures in Blender and have been exporting them as FBX files. When I import a skeleton into Bannerlord, the rotation of the bones appears incorrectly, often seeming to be 90 degrees off from how the bone is supposed to appear. As a result, the bones do not "connect" to each other. While skeletal animations still play correctly, the process of implementing collision/ragdoll information on the skeleton becomes extremely challenging if not impossible. The "Auto Generate Joints" feature of the Skeleton Editor has no effect, which is likely (but possibly) not related. Either way, I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge or suggestions for importing skeletons into Bannerlord to where the bones appear to be oriented correctly?

The screenshot below shows the incorrect appearance of my imported Dragon skeleton.
i5a3kyx.png
nwetta#4054 who is active on the bl-3d-art section of the TW Forum - Modding discord showed some dragon screenshots, which appeared to be in game. You might try contacting him. I'd be grateful if you'd add any solution you find to this thread for others to follow.

Upvote 0
After much headache, I found that if you are using Blender, while exporting to FBX, choose the Primary Bone Axis as X and the Secondary Bone Axis as -Y, and the armature will import correctly. This won't fix all issues with skeletons (the human_skeleton from the TPAC tool doesn't match exactly with the human_skeleton from the base game, so animations made with it will be broken if a custom skeleton is not used), but it's a start.

nwetta#4054 - :whistle: That is me. I was desperate, so I came here from Discord, but my problem has been solved.

Upvote 0
After much headache, I found that if you are using Blender, while exporting to FBX, choose the Primary Bone Axis as X and the Secondary Bone Axis as -Y, and the armature will import correctly. This won't fix all issues with skeletons (the human_skeleton from the TPAC tool doesn't match exactly with the human_skeleton from the base game, so animations made with it will be broken if a custom skeleton is not used), but it's a start.
Thanks for the update. Hopefully, Taleworlds will be more forthcoming on skeletons in due course.

nwetta#4054 - :whistle: That is me. I was desperate, so I came here from Discord, but my problem has been solved.
:smile:

Upvote 0
I could use a lil help with weight painmting if u wouldnt mind helping me. I have 2 nice sets of armor i been working on id share with u if your willing to help me. Claiton_Bigsby#2584 thats my discord. Im obviously new to modding but i think ive got everything figured out except for how to assign weights to specific bones while weight painting. cntl+left click isnt working to select a specific bone in weight paint mode.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom