How to get better - video tips topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Harmi

Squire
Hi! I could not find this kind of topic with search, so I started new. The idea is that you record one new play session of your game play. You cut all not necessary stuff from the video (walking and riding when nothing happens.) Only your all kills and your deaths should be in the video. Try to play aggressively, so you get more stuff in the video. Then you post it here and let other players give their critics and tips to your play.  Their answers should include these:

What do the player do well in his session?
What he should improve to be better player?
Best way to achieve better results?

I start with this video I recorded today. Tried to attack best players online, so the video would be more interesting. At the end I got really annoyed of the horses, so I started targeting only for them. I really appreciate your points of view, so just tell everything you have in your mind. Thank you! :smile:

To best honest and not trying to offend you but you won't get any better playing deathmatch against newbies/casuals and people with 150+ ping.Try practicing duels on Ludus against good players and get some game sense on IG_Battlegrounds. Cheers buddy.

Varadin said:
To best honest and not trying to offend you but you won't get any better playing deathmatch against newbies/casuals and people with 150+ ping.Try practicing duels on Ludus against good players and get some game sense on IG_Battlegrounds. Cheers buddy.

Thanks, this is exactly kind of critics I wish to hear, but I think I've been improving all the time while I've played this game, only on DM and siege servers. I started as super noob and now I'm just noob. Or something like that. IDK. I want to learn to fight against multiple enemies at the same time. It cannot be learned from Ludus. There all fights are the same. You ask your enemy if he wants to fight. Then you both get 5 meters back and start feinting. I'm DM you never know from where your enemy is attacking so you need to be all the time aware. So I bet it is quite OK place to learn also.

Uhm. Is your aim to just achieve better KDs at DM servers with 2H axe or to learn the skills you need for competitive warband ?

- Improve your blocking (Cpt. Obvious^^)
- try to use ^ to look around and be able to spot cavs before they can kill you

The two biggest things that seemed to have worked semi-well for me is watching how others play, and then implementing their technique into your own playing style. The only way to get better at doing that is to put in the time and effort though. You will only see results if you show the will to care enough. Like going to workout at the gym, you're starting at small and with a lack of too much knowledge, but you gradually get better at it as time stacks up and you become more seasoned.

Thank you all for the tips! I'll come back here later to read these more careful and try to catch them into my style. I also think I need to figure out some better feints to archers and throwing dudes because I have feeling that they are most of time the people who surprses me. I hope somebody else will now add some video to let us add comments to help him. Also if you are very good, it might be possible to improve with community help. :smile:

Hey, if you have some problems this playlist might be of some help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBj6mHRaFmY&list=PLlNTaKOikVq0Iao32kCt5F8tekJ_rS7hQ

dont bother with absolutely broken warband mechanics or asking the people who exploit them. you will end up using 2h weapons while aiming at the ground and spinning like a ballerina if you listen to anybody on here. warband really is just broken and a waste of time. instead wait for bannerlord and hope for it to be an actual, working game with proper mechanics and balance.

-your official king

You got a good feeling for the blocking system and the range of your weapons. That's definitely a good start if you want to improve further.

You move your mouse way too much. Every time you want to block up or down you litterally look to the ground or sky, this is not neccessary, confuses you and I doubt you notice any other players around you. Try to practice your blocking with less movement and stay calm during fights, helps you a lot.
Don't play on servers with mods, high gold bonuses and guys who can barely block any hits. Most of those guys just play like bots:grin:

As a beginner Deathmatch works, but honestly I would recommend siege servers. ZHG or MountandSiege (with a population of 100 or lower, otherwise it's just laggy) are a good start. Most might disagree with me here but I've started there and it was very helpful. Might not be the quickest way to get to the top level of the scene though. While playing there you should decide which class you want to focus on. Siege servers are great for archery and infantry practice, not the best for cav but that sometimes works aswell. Practice your class and once you are confident and used to the basic mechanics go and play on Battle. This is the mode played in all the tournaments (except for duel tournaments of course, but they are useless anyway:grin:) so it's essential to be good at it. There are a few but IG_Battlegrounds is probably the one with the highest skill and experience level - don't have too high expectations at the beginning though. Most of the regular visiters there spent thousands of hours on this game and you can get frustrated pretty easily, as a new player and sometimes even as an old one:grin:

Wish you the best of luck and I can only recommend you to join a friendly clan with players you can practice with.
This is a skill-based team game, so joining a clan is the best start you can have.

Ciiges said:
Alene seriously, you lock banter threads but let this guy hang around everywhere? It's literally requested by the ENTIRE forums, BAN HIM... He makes every thread cancer, like seriously....

And while you're at it, get rid of this guy too. It would make the forums a better place.

Harmi said:
Varadin said:

Thanks, this is exactly kind of critics I wish to hear, but I think I've been improving all the time while I've played this game, only on DM and siege servers. I started as super noob and now I'm just noob. Or something like that. IDK. I want to learn to fight against multiple enemies at the same time. It cannot be learned from Ludus. There all fights are the same. You ask your enemy if he wants to fight. Then you both get 5 meters back and start feinting. I'm DM you never know from where your enemy is attacking so you need to be all the time aware. So I bet it is quite OK place to learn also.

Its fine mate, practicing will make you better. Believe me there are some people who's playing this game for 6 years and they either just got good or still sucking so hard.

Blocking is the first thing you should master and then you will eventually find your class. But like i said everything starts with blocking so you should go for Ludus but my suggestion if you wanna become good battle player then don't stuck at ludus because it would make you useless duelist. You can go on IG_Battlegrounds its good to play there to improve awareness and stuff.

Now i'll type you some stuff for each classes;

Archer:

- Aim: Well first of all you gotta have good aim, to improve this you need to play alot but with the others inputs that i will type below even if you do not have solid aim you can still become good archer. There are ppl who's not that good in aiming but still made it to top archers because of the other necessities.
- Positioning: You should always go for strategic positions, like you should be close to fight but at the same time ppl should not be able to reach you easily, so you will have more time to shoot. If you have another archers in your team you should make crossfires with them.
- Target picking: Knowing who to shoot is really important. For example lets say; you are playing with crossbow faction against vaegirs(most powerful archer faction) and enemy archer got some solid position then yeah you should focus on him and prevent him from shooting your mates.
- Awareness: As an archer you will be always target of your enemies, especially their cav. Do not start shooting until you are safe or you can go for flick shots during this time because don't forget they will always come for you.
- Differences between 1st and 3rd person shooting: Since archery is mostly based on point and click, in first person you can shoot better into fights and to my experiences i feel like shooting cav is easier in first person. But to my observations players who plays with 1st person is not good at target picking compared to 3rd person users. Another thing is if you wanna be more aware about whats going on around then you should go for 3rd person. And lastly you will do better with flick shots with 3rd person shooting.

You can also watch some of my recordings; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXBIT_CbRe8eZPKM2ZtbrfQ/videos

Infantry:

At the beginning you will spend alot of time in dueling to master the infantry mechanics but after you learn them you should focus on improving stuff down below and being stucked in Ludus won't help you improving them that is why i typed being duelist is useless to players who wants to get better in battle.

- Surviving: To me surviving is most important thing because do not forget if you are alive then you can always do something positive for your team. To survive against multiple enemies first you should be calm. Try to minimize the risks you are taking and the dangers you are facing. For example try to avoid enemy cav and archers if you can or spin around your enemy and focus on low hp guy to eliminate them. You will be helping your team alot by holding multiple enemy for an acceptable time.
- Awareness: There are too many pro infantry players without solid awareness just because of they spent more time than they were supposed to in Nditions or Ludus. To improve this yes you can play on DM but since the skill level of DM servers is really low you should play on IG_Battlegrounds and learn what to do in specific situations.
- Teamplay: This is a team game, try to communicate with people and play together. You will kill your enemy way faster than you would do alone yourself.

I did not want to go into details and type about mechanics because there are some guys who made tutorials about these so i suggest you to watch them;

Volcom's Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBj6mHRaFmY&list=PLlNTaKOikVq0Iao32kCt5F8tekJ_rS7hQ

Napoleon's Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/user/NapoleonBonaparte92/videos

Cavalry:

- Timing: Being in the right place in the right time is one of the most important things about cavalry class.
- Awareness: Being aware of enemy archers, enemy spearmen will make you survive longer.
- Target picking: In a fight you should always pick the easiest targets like someone who's not paying attention to you or fighting with someone else so you can just go and backstab him and get to the next one.

I suggest you to watch Relaks' videos one of the best cav players in the community: https://www.youtube.com/user/Marmeladovej/videos

for cavalry you can watch my channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0SIWhWQJwHmlDaNy_Pldbw , or watch some streams of other good teams which you can find here: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,347311.0.html

Further for Archery you could watch Rayden (above), or Kane here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChWiH6rZnDnYR2Hz3vakUdw
Prince is also a good source for archery: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC68BZ-QDWktLCtwmNG7qpdA

And for infantry I'd recommend watching gibby over here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChYtDMSLvYxUdmcP2C9T8GA

Hello Harmi.
I took part in that match and might have some tips for you:

1. 90% of your attacks are right swings. This might work well against unexperienced players, but it is still highly predictable. Try to incorporate a little bit more
    feinting.

2. For gods sake, wear some headgear. Its cheap and could have prevented about half of your deaths in the video. Whenever I see a full plated player without
    helmet, I aim for the head. This way you can still one-hit them in melee. (Preventable deaths by headgear: 1:00, 2:00, 3:30, 4:45, 6:00, 7:00, 8:00)

3. Positioning and observance is half the way to success. You did well at 2:20, 6:24 and 7:30. But often you chose to be to agressive or didn't notice the enemy
    in time to position yourself right. Examples are 1:40, 3:15, 5:40, 6:00, 8:40, 9:50, 12:00, 13:50 and 14:20.

On the other hand your blocking skill is sufficiently good developed to survive most casual players. You were better than most of the other players I encountered on most servers. It was fun playing against you and I hope you feel the same way.(I was the guy with the 1h military cleaver and the orange sun as CoA)

You can take my advice or not, if you want. But as a "filthy casual" whose live doesn't revolve around a turkish indie game from 2010, I have to say one last thing:
Don't take this game too seriously.
There are already too many people who insult or belittle people, who never achieved their 4000 h of game time. Having fun playing, no matter how good or bad is the most important thing. Don't devolve into someone whose attitude to the game is: "lulz, won't play anything besides ludus or IG, cause they all suck. u 2 bad, newb"

[This is my first post on this forum, so please don't kill me for being honest.  :ohdear:]

cavalry doesnt require any thought whatsoever, really. it tosses all the directional fighting that is supposed to make combat skill based (sadly warband fails to deliver even on infantry due to easy exploits) away and places you on horses with ridiculous hp pools, almost no speed buildup time and allows you to not only stagger people but at the same time lash out hits which no matter the weapon you use pretty much oneshot. it is so imbalanced i should probably go into detail in a standalone thread.

same with archery. the people saying you need to "practice" have to be trolling. the insanely high accuracy on ranged weapons and the generally slow movement in the game make it nearly impossible to miss shots on the most ridiculous distances.

and yea as stated, on the infantry level you will only see people spinning with two handed weapons.

-your official king

Back
Top Bottom