How to force war between factions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey guys, a question. I've been trying to make war happen at a specific condition between factions. Now, I am not interested on how to change faction relation, just to have the at war. I'm pretty sure I've used something like this before, I've talked about it recently with someone. But I can't remember! It's quite annoying.
Any help? Thanks

Solution
The following script might be also a place to implement the thoughts of yours
Calling it such way it seems to start the war between the two factions, in this case the former kingdom of which the player seceds (I found it here: https://forums.taleworlds.com/site-old/index.php/topic,357529.0.html)
Code:
(call_script, "script_diplomacy_start_war_between_kingdoms", ":old_kingdom", "fac_player_supporters_faction", 1),
You can make a loop depending on which religion going through all from the same religion declaring war against the victim. Maybe some exception in case that the faction declared a crusade against is a faction of the same religion.
Can't you work with the operation set_relation to force a war between the factions? store_relation will probably be needed too. And you would need to create an exception for those two factions in case you have some random war system that those two are not random anymore.

Upvote 0
Yes, that was my initial thought(and what I did). The full explanation is this:
I am working on a complete religion system. So far, the things that work fully are these:
-there are 4 religions, Catholic Christian, Orthodox christian, Islam, Tengrism
-religion is assigned according to culture
-there are custom map locations of monasteries, where the player can buy wine, visit the scriptorium, pray, hold a memorial service for dead part members etc. Also, an altar for tengrism, where players can pray
-there are town chapels and mosques, assigned to the initial faction ownership of each town. The Sarranid towns always have mosques(because they are built before the start of the player's adventures) and continue to have them even conquered. Only players with same religion can visit each according temple.
- Monasteries and altar are "raidable" and altar is destructible
And other, minor changes. Now, I am working on faction relations according to religion and Holy Wars. Basically, the fanatics of the game will be Sarranids and Swadians. First with Jihad, second with Crusade. So, I'm looking for a way to initiate war when certain conditions are ticked, not just worsen relations.

Upvote 0
Maybe it would work if you use the randomly_start_war_peace(_new) script and add in an additional if-clause which gets triggered by a global variable. So if the Pope declares a crusade (or however it will work at your mod), a global variable gets changed (crusade_war and jihad_war, using 0 and 1 perhaps) with an additional global variable about the faction (crusade_victim and jihad_victim or something like this). Slots might also be useful but I don't know a lot about how to use them. The randomly_start_war_peace(_new) script probably kicks after some time perion and then you can have all christian factions (check for christian religion) having declare war there in the first if-clause, with some additional exception in the random_war declaration that factions of the same religion cannot declare war to each other while Crusade or Jihad is going on (some neg-statement probably at some point).
That's what came into my mind now.

So, I'm looking for a way to initiate war when certain conditions are ticked, not just worsen relations.
Aren't they at war with each other if their relation is below zero?

Upvote 0
Aren't they at war with each other if their relation is below zero?
Nah, I have it at the lowest(-100) and while they are hostile, the are not at war.

Also, in the system, I use both slots AND variables, and there is a variable made to check the holy wars. So, yeah, from what I gather, it'll be a search for the right part of the script. How disappointing. :meh:

Upvote 0
The following script might be also a place to implement the thoughts of yours
Calling it such way it seems to start the war between the two factions, in this case the former kingdom of which the player seceds (I found it here: https://forums.taleworlds.com/site-old/index.php/topic,357529.0.html)
Code:
(call_script, "script_diplomacy_start_war_between_kingdoms", ":old_kingdom", "fac_player_supporters_faction", 1),
You can make a loop depending on which religion going through all from the same religion declaring war against the victim. Maybe some exception in case that the faction declared a crusade against is a faction of the same religion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
Oh. Wow, that's cool! Will test asap, but it does sound ideal. Thanks! (y)
Well, as for conditions, I use faction slots for religion, so it is virtually impossible for factions of the same religion to declare war upon each other. :grin:

Upvote 0
Give me a note if that worked out.
Oh. Wow, that's cool! Will test asap, but it does sound ideal. Thanks! (y)
Well, as for conditions, I use faction slots for religion, so it is virtually impossible for factions of the same religion to declare war upon each other. :grin:
Well, it would have made sense for me to be possible, I was used to that from Medieval 2 Total War where even christian kingdoms have not been save of getting a crusade declared against them ^^

Upvote 0
I'm working also on excommunications for Christians and a schism(even that lowers relations between orthodox and catholic at a specific date). Then, I could make one dogma crusade against another. :wink:

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom