How to find out whats making my Module System act like a spastic child?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey guys.

I absolutley have no idea whats making my Module System act like a little b*tch.  Is there a way to find out whats causing it to give out errors without spending spending 100 hours of looking through every line in every module_.py?

To be honest, the ModSys always acts like a *****. She's always so frustrated, so angry, so full of rage... Sometimes she will simply deny you something, without offering an explanation why or what. You should always be gentle with her, but even this is not to guarantee that she won't be inclined to pull a trick on you sometime or another.
I myself have grown to love her personality over the years we've been together, but this has never stopped her from treating me badly sometimes. You just have to get used to it, and get used to making workarounds too, you are likely to need them.
But all things said, her heart is golden, and she will always be yours if you can cope with her...

Comedy aside, it's not unusual for the ModSys to either dislike code, or for the game to start crashing when you use a certain operation somewhere for some reason. Make backups and test every change, that's the best advice I can give you.

Usually when this happens it tells you where the error is or at least a hint so any info on that.

Lumos said:
Make backups and test every change

Best advice ever.

When I modded I actually did backup every change. You never knew when MS will explode.
fpaZEPU.png

With persistence and experience you'll eventually have a grasp for what will work, and what needs testing, before know whether it will explode. But then at the most unexpected time, everything will blow up again...

cmpxchg8b said:

This is me, a bunch of hours before. Sometimes I feel like I'm always repeating myself.

Swyter said:
When the game crashes on loading is because it has reached an undefined case which doesn't handles.
Probably related with the TXT parsing, something in the changes you've made has confused the msys compiler, and then the game.

Next time try using some kind of version control system like Sticky notes, CVS, SVN, Git, Bazaar, Hg or Perforce.
It allows you to easily find the changes through text diffs since the previous commit and do partial reverts.

Lumos said:
But... laziness.

Guess it's better to actually do use revision control when **** hits the fan though.

That's like saying that the safety belt is only useful when crashing against something.

Prevention, don't let it happen. It let's you see what you did and when,
go back in time and find bugs from when your code said hello world.

Really, it's just the right way of doing it, and it's actually faster.

Cozur said:
Total size of all backup modification files on my PC: 303 GB.

Just backup everything and backtrace any errors.

VCS do that, but in a seamless way, with integrated changeset messages, branching, compressed history,
free remote backup and online code viewer.

You can't beat that. Apart that is pretty much fundamental when working in groups. It does all the heavy lifting.
I've four years of browsable SWC history under 400MiBs in my laptop.

Back
Top Bottom