How to destroy factions?

Users who are viewing this thread

So I finished my campaign with Vlandia, taking over all of Calradia but all the major factions are still alive, even though they are landless. For example Sturgia didn't have any land for years until they somehow took a Khuzait city in 1142. I have looked threads from moire than an year and a half ago, I am wondering if something has changed in that regard, are there any plans of introducing a mechanic for the faction to dissolve after a certain period after their last fief was conquered?

Thanks in advance!

I haven't read TW say anything about this.
Probably need all the houses to leave the faction which should happen gradually
But then they just go to another landless ruined faction, They don't join you faction automatically and it seems not possible to recruit every clan, like they just calculate somehow it's a bad deal even though you own everything.

I haven't read TW say anything about this.

But then they just go to another landless ruined faction, They don't join you faction automatically and it seems not possible to recruit every clan, like they just calculate somehow it's a bad deal even though you own everything.
Clearly, defeated factions aftermath still needs to be implemented.
1.7.5 probably :sneaky::coffee:

You displaced a large group of people but failed to assimilate/exterminate them. Rookie mistake.

EDIT: Even worse you want TW to "dissolve the factions after a certain period" for you afterward.

Last edited:
AI factions should be dissolved if they have held no fiefs for ten days. All their clans should then instantly either defect to other factions, or go "into exile" (disappear), like they did in Warband.

You displaced a large group of people but failed to assimilate/exterminate them. Rookie mistake.

EDIT: Even worse you want TW to "dissolve the factions after a certain period" for you afterward.
Chasing down the scrappy remnants of a faction all over the world just so they stop endlessly raiding your villages isn't fun when you have other **** to do (fight remaining large factions which are still a real threat). It just becomes an annoyance.

Normally their parties are too small and fast to catch, and because of a broken peace system, they will demand tribute from you rather than offer to pay it, no matter how badly you are beating them. So you either pay money in tribute or lose money in taxes- either way you're paying for being the winner! Or you could execute their parties but then everyone around the world will hate you and see you as dishonourable devious scum!

And they also get endless mercenary clan parties to spam at you, which for some reason they don't have to pay. And they can recruit armies from YOUR fiefs to keep attacking you once in a while as well, despite the fact they should have no source of funds left to recruit from.

It makes no sense that a kingdom can have no source of income whatsoever left and yet still have the means to constantly pay armies to attack you, and all their nobles will happily follow the ruling clan (who has absolutely nothing to offer them) for eternity in failed attack after failed attack against a behemoth they will never defeat.

They should just break up.

Last edited:
AI factions should be dissolved if they have held no fiefs for ten days. All their clans should then instantly either defect to other factions, or go "into exile" (disappear), like they did in Warband.

Chasing down the scrappy remnants of a faction all over the world just so they stop endlessly raiding your villages isn't fun when you have other **** to do (fight remaining large factions which are still a real threat). It just becomes an annoyance.

Normally their parties are too small and fast to catch, and because of a broken peace system, they will demand tribute from you rather than offer to pay it, no matter how badly you are beating them. So you either pay money in tribute or lose money in taxes- either way you're paying for being the winner! Or you could execute their parties but then everyone around the world will hate you and see you as dishonourable devious scum!

And they also get endless mercenary clan parties to spam at you, which for some reason they don't have to pay. And they can recruit armies from YOUR fiefs to keep attacking you once in a while as well, despite the fact they should have no source of funds left to recruit from.

It makes no sense that a kingdom can have no source of income whatsoever left and yet still have the means to constantly pay armies to attack you, and all their nobles will happily follow the ruling clan (who has absolutely nothing to offer them) for eternity in failed attack after failed attack against a behemoth they will never defeat.

Fiefless Factions only demand money, when they have hired mercenaries clans.
If you have all of their heroes in prison, they agreed to pay tribute, when they have no mercenaries clans.

This x1000, landless clans should be considered outlaws after x number of days without controlling fiefs. There should be no penalty for killing them via execution or they should just cease to exist. The whole concept of 'a defeated faction has a chance to make a comeback' is just dumb and makes for poor end game play. Just let them die. Please.

This x1000, landless clans should be considered outlaws after x number of days without controlling fiefs. There should be no penalty for killing them via execution or they should just cease to exist. The whole concept of 'a defeated faction has a chance to make a comeback' is just dumb and makes for poor end game play. Just let them die. Please.
Yes! Has anyone ever seen a comeback from zero cities/castles?

They should make it so, that they can not marry or have childs, so the clans die out.

Ok hold up.

So to summarize we have:
Large organized groups of people who lost their land long ago
scattered across the map.
refuse to assimilate.
Raiding our friend's villages
Paying mercenaries to attack his cities
Extorting him through taxes or treaties
And acquiring funds from thin air.

EDIT: This hits home even closer than I thought. I defer to your judgement.

Last edited:
Ok hold up.

So to summarize we have:
Large organized groups of people who lost their land long ago
scattered across the map.
refuse to assimilate.
Raiding our friend's villages
Paying mercenaries to attack his cities
Extorting him through taxes or treaties
And acquiring funds from thin air.

EDIT: This hits home even closer than I thought. I defer to your judgement.
The concept is ridiculous because there is no way to get rid of them (maybe if you execute all of them I guess?) Seems the only way, but you take a hit for executing which is also ridiculous. It doesn't make sense to have tons of clans which are still somehow able to support entire armies of their own plus mercenary armies endlessly.

Landless factions can be tedious, More so when you see them hiring multiple bands of mercenaries. Though with a all cavalry force if your in a head chopping mood you can move a pretty big army with nice speed and run even the small groups down.

I really like that default into a minor faction idea after a certain point though.

You need not to make peace with fiefles faction. When you're at war, your minor troops will always win their small parties, and they can't develope.

I find this quite annoying too.

I'm not really annoyed that the former ruling clan keeps trying to reclaim/restart their kingdom for some time, that part makes sense to me. But I'm annoyed that there is no reasonable way for the player to resolve the situation.

A quick fix could be that executing the king of a faction that has no fiefs, are at war with you and only one clan left doesn't carry any relationship penalties except for with that clan. And doing so ends that kingdom and turns the clan into a "normal" clan that will join one of the remaining factions. Alternativly captuing all the lords of a fiefless faction could lead to a final surrender ending the faction.

In any case there needs to be some kind of resolution to this issue, could be done in lots of ways but the way it is now is bad.

The worst thing about is how you can "lose" the war against those destroyed factions because you can't be bothered to chase their little 20man party around the map over and over, and you end up having to pay tribute from war exhaustion. That just makes absolutely no sense.

So I finished my campaign with Vlandia, taking over all of Calradia but all the major factions are still alive, even though they are landless. For example Sturgia didn't have any land for years until they somehow took a Khuzait city in 1142. I have looked threads from moire than an year and a half ago, I am wondering if something has changed in that regard, are there any plans of introducing a mechanic for the faction to dissolve after a certain period after their last fief was conquered?

Thanks in advance!
Mmm this makes me nervous the Khuzaits will return. I managed to wipe them out relatively early on, ridding the world (mostly) of the plague that is horse archers. (Western Empire went under too surprisingly fast)

uggkw9m.png

IDK I'm a bit conflicted on Factions being destroyed. On one hand it's nice that it's at least possible for Factions to rise from the ashes, so to speak. But it seems like they mostly become a nuisance (though that's also true to life). I sort of understand the whole paying them tribute to basically leave you alone, though not exactly sure where they get the money for mercenaries.

Executions should be a bit more acceptable given the medieval setting. You can raid, devastate cities, kill hundreds of commoners and still be regarded as an Honest/Good upstanding person somehow. But kill one Noble and then, and only then, do you become worse then Pol Pot. Killing a disposed King really shouldn't make you public enemy #1 with everyone. I get losing reputation with any of their friends (though I have 0 clue how Lords become Friends/Enemies, especially Friends in opposing factions). Like I've said Cruel trait Nobles should execute their enemies. That should go for the player too. You piss off another Clan and get to -100 Reputation with them your Clan Members should be at risk of the chopping block. *I believe it is possible for Lords to execute their enemies, but I've yet to see it happen.

Actually executing Lords should make you the friend of their enemies. The mechanic in it's current inception is so useless it may as well not be there. It's only useful if you literally plan on executing every single Noble in the game.

Sort of like surrendering too. No one ever surrenders, except like Looters/Brigands. So why is it there if everyone just fights to the death? Should be some benefit to it - like your troops are returned to your fief but you get taken prisoner for ransom or vice versa you give up all your troops/items to escape.Think this is what pains me most about the game. So many potentially good mechanics that will likely remain half-baked. The trait system has the potential to add a lot of dynamism to the game, but I don't think it's ever going to get where it should be.

Back
Top Bottom