How to debug and trigger a quest dialogue, for translation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi all.

Is there a way to trigger a specific quest given by a specific character, using cheats/debug mode?
I'd like to be able to trigger the lyre/lute recovering quest. (I think it's the same quest in Warband but I'm not sure)
A more general way to trigger any possible quest or dialogue would be very appreciated too! Thanks.

Why I need it:

I'm correcting the Italian translation for VC, so I note down every string that needs retouching, go fix it, apply it to the game and keep playing to check if it's corrected.
At the moment I corrected something in the dialogue that happens in the Lyre/Lute quest, the one that was stolen by a city guard. I played it yesterday but saved after completing it and now I don't know how to trigger it again.

I tried activating the debug mode and every time I ask him for a job, he tries to give me a different one, but I'm noticing that some quest numbers get skipped. Why?

Hello Fabiano,

There is no way to activate this quest from the game at your convenience, you would have to change the code in the module system.
Generally, for testing, you can use the cheats in the camp menu, or create a set of savegames.
If you need a pack of savegames at different stages of the game, write me a private message and we'll look to share that content.

Sorry :smile:

Is there a way to trigger a specific quest given by a specific character, using cheats/debug mode?
No, unless the mod's author scripted it (or you did if you know how).
I tried activating the debug mode and every time I ask him for a job, he tries to give me a different one, but I'm noticing that some quest numbers get skipped. Why?
It may depend on the progress in the playthrough, who knows what is in the source code...
I'm correcting the Italian translation for VC, so I note down every string that needs retouching, go fix it, apply it to the game and keep playing to check if it's corrected.
That is an inefficient method, just open the CSV file with translated strings and edit them in a text editor.

That is an inefficient method, just open the CSV file with translated strings and edit them in a text editor.
What method do you suggest to check how the strings behave in game?
I'm using Transifex cause the system was originally setup that way by the translators, but I don't see how using Notepad++ would make the process any more efficient.

Hello Fabiano,

There is no way to activate this quest from the game at your convenience, you would have to change the code in the module system.
Generally, for testing, you can use the cheats in the camp menu, or create a set of savegames.
If you need a pack of savegames at different stages of the game, write me a private message and we'll look to share that content.

Sorry :smile:
Ok thanks a lot, I'll reach you out in DM then! 🙌

What method do you suggest to check how the strings behave in game?
I'm using Transifex cause the system was originally setup that way by the translators, but I don't see how using Notepad++ would make the process any more efficient.
I believe that strings are not scripts and, therefore, they are static and do not require testing. Make sure to take a look at this tutorial: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...ation-tutorial-and-translate-m-b-tool.453463/ to maintain the correct format of some more difficult strings such as ones with terms of address/ gender. I would suggest correcting all translated strings in a word processor (Notepad++ would be my choice but you are free to pick whatever software you like) because I assume the original translation team did a good job and you will not correct many. After completing your work, you may then initiate a playthrough to check if everything works.

I believe that strings are not scripts and, therefore, they are static and do not require testing. Make sure to take a look at this tutorial: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...ation-tutorial-and-translate-m-b-tool.453463/ to maintain the correct format of some more difficult strings such as ones with terms of address/ gender. I would suggest correcting all translated strings in a word processor (Notepad++ would be my choice but you are free to pick whatever software you like) because I assume the original translation team did a good job and you will not correct many. After completing your work, you may then initiate a playthrough to check if everything works.

Well first of all thanks for this link. That post and tutorial looks like pure GOLD. Effectively resumes all one needs (and apparently can) know about translating M&B.
Unfortunately I already knew pretty much everything I needed (always good to receive a confirmation though) as I'm part of the original Italian translators of Viking Conquest myself, together with @JabdiMelborn @thefirst1nvad3r and others like Fantu that setup the translation process ages ago.
So now I'm basically doing what the tutorial describes like this:
MJby6.jpg

We already translated everything, but now it's that phase where we need to actually check if genders, plurals, articles, adjectives etc are respected.
Italian is grammatically similar to French, so as I suspected there's no quicker way to test strings other than reading them while playing.

I have to say though that we are surely less experienced than @Daneel53 so many strings we might just have got plain wrong in the first place. Which is another reason to just go through the game.

Also, taken from this post: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/silverstag-source-v0-26-rev-237.310371/post-7492819 apply the correct syntax to strings with 'reg' variables if applicable (read the following, may help you if you do not know this).
Another trick a person might see within strings is something like "@{reg1?Yes:No}". This simply means that if the value of reg1 is equal to 1 then output "Yes" and if it is not then output "No". It doesn't matter what reg# variable I use here as the first half of the string following the ? will always be the output on a 1 and the second half will always be the output when our input value is not a 1.

We already translated everything, but now it's that phase where we need to actually check if genders, plurals, articles, adjectives etc are respected.
Italian is grammatically similar to French, so as I suspected there's no quicker way to test strings other than reading them while playing.
As I said, first make sure in a word processor that all translated strings are coherent, then start a playthrough; I believe that is the most time-effective method.

Hi gentlemen!

Thanks for your kind words upon my tutorial. Hope it helped you. :xf-smile:

At least the gender case is easy in Viking Conquest: the syntax {male/female} for the hero doesn't work but the syntax {reg59?female:male} is always valid and you can add it at will anywhere you feel it useful when the hero is concerned.

As Fabiano said, Italian and French have similarities, so may be you can check my French translation of Viking Conquest 2.060; we may guess that everywhere I had to place a {reg59? you may have to place one in Italian. This said, I cannot affirm that I did not forget some of them... :xf-wink:
French translation: https://bit.ly/VFVC2060

Hi gentlemen!

At least the gender case is easy in Viking Conquest: the syntax {male/female} for the hero doesn't work but the syntax {reg59?female:male} is always valid and you can add it at will anywhere you feel it useful when the hero is concerned.

As Fabiano said, Italian and French have similarities, so may be you can check my French translation of Viking Conquest 2.060; we may guess that everywhere I had to place a {reg59? you may have to place one in Italian. This said, I cannot affirm that I did not forget some of them... :xf-wink:

Hi guys,
You remember we have another Italian fan localization here: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...-dlc-v-2-060_2-aggiornata-all18-01-23.336781/

If the French localization is finished too, I can write a topic with links to them here, in VC main forums too.

Hi guys,
You remember we have another Italian fan localization here: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...-dlc-v-2-060_2-aggiornata-all18-01-23.336781/

If the French localization is finished too, I can write a topic with links to them here, in VC main forums too.
It's always the same localization :LOL:

Oh sure if you want to place a link to wherever you think it's appropriate please go ahead.

Hi gentlemen!

That's a good idea. But I'm mostly curious to see how you solved the Lute/Lyre quest problem, which was also the main reason why I opened this thread. Gonna check it now 🔍
Another reason why I'm finding genders not respected here and there is because many people originally worked on the translation and not everybody was aware of the fact that you could add as many {regN as you needed for a sentece, as long as they were used at least once in the string. Transifex shows a warning every time the number of {regN} is not the same as the original string you're translating from, so people thought that in order for the game to not break they had to fit exactly that number.

Also, taken from this post: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/silverstag-source-v0-26-rev-237.310371/post-7492819 apply the correct syntax to strings with 'reg' variables if applicable (read the following, may help you if you do not know this).
This is another sweet information indeed, thanks! Although in a dialogue string you don't put the @ before, correct? I've only seen {regN stuffwithout it.

Oh sure if you want to place a link to wherever you think it's appropriate please go ahead.

Well, as soon as both of you have finished it, let me know. A thread explaining the steps as in the link that I posted would be perfect. I can link that thread to the main one. Thank you so much!

This is another sweet information indeed, thanks! Although in a dialogue string you don't put the @ before, correct? I've only seen {regN stuffwithout it.
You are welcome. I have not ever translated any Warband module, so I do not know about this aspect of 'modding' but I can tell you that '@' needs to be put before strings not declared (i.e. written) in module_strings.py. I am not sure if you will ever need this because I have never touched translation work, only scripting.

I can witness that I never saw any @ before any variable into the .csv files to translate for Warband. So may be they are needed into python code, but they are not into .csv files to translate. Anyway there is no @ into the 16 English files to translate of VC 2.060, so no reason to put some into the translated files. :xf-smile:

@Fabiano_il_Capo Coming back to your initial issue, I suppose that you are talking about line 1000 of quick_strings, where, if I follow you well, {s13} may be a lute or a lyre. I suppose that in Italian as in French, both instruments are for one male and the other female genre, and this cause a problem to translate "a {s13}" because in our languages the "a" have a different translation depending {s13} is male or female.
I check what is written into our French translation and I must admit that it is not correct because we have written "un {s13}" when we should display "un luth" or "une lyre". And later we are also in fault with "If you return {s13} to me" because we must add an article before {s13} and this one too should be "mon luth" or "ma lyre" when we have written "mon {s13}".
Well, there is no good direct solution because Warband has no mechanism to give a genre to an item, and all we can do is to reformulate. I suggest to write in our respective languages:
  • I was in the possession of a wonderful musical instrument, a kind of {s13},... (that in French gives "une sorte de luth" ou "une sorte de "lyre" that are both correct.
  • If you return my instrument to me...
And then I suppose that we have too to reformulate line 1002: The {s9} of {s3} asked you to recover a {s13} stolen from him.
Here again we have an issue with the "a" before {s13}.

There are many cases where to translate correctly Warband is simply not possible because the items have a genre in our language and not in English. At least TaleWorlds took this issue in account into Bannerlord and create the grammary tokens (adapted to each language) that permit to provide a genre to items and to change the articles accordingly, but for Warband, we do the best we can by reformulating when possible, but sometimes we just cannot find any good solution. 😟

Transifex shows a warning every time the number of {regN} is not the same as the original string you're translating from, so people thought that in order for the game to not break they had to fit exactly that number.
I agree that the warnings provided by Transifex are disturbing and even myself stopped one minute when this sort of warning was displayed for the first time. Then I understood the reason of this warning and I decided to bypass because I knew that I was right when adding syntaxes that were not present into the English text, but yes, it leads to bad translation if people wants absolutely to enter a string that generate no warning.

Hi all.
...A more general way to trigger any possible quest or dialogue would be very appreciated too! Thanks...
Hi, I'm testing Spanish translation and easy way is a save game inside any castle. Every time that you load this game, quest is reset and you have a chance to check any dialog (and exit without save until found it). No perfect (chance is chance), but seems work. Edited: In Spanish I think no way, only changing instruments names to have same gender (changed "Laud/Lira" and set as "Citara/Lira"), workarround seems too complex and can mess another dialogs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom