How to creat a new race and use my new face model?

Users who are viewing this thread

1. There is no way to add a slider in the xml file to add a new item that can be resized when creating a character.
- This issue caused: Players cannot create a character whose face can be modified (editor)

Here's what's interesting:

The first image is the UI when creating a new save file.
The second image is in world map, press the "v" button. Enter edit face UI, here it is, the slider added in the xml appears! same as the old version.
QQ-20221101170300.png

QQ-20221101170304.png

solved
2. Why only one map can be used for the eyeball and face ?
- This issue caused: if I change character skin color, your eye color will also change.
- The old version can use a single tile for the eyeball. Older versions don't have this problem.

The picture shows the result:
QQ-20221101171913.png

solved
3. How to creat a new race and using my new face model ?

I have successfully replaced the face in the old version. Watch this video: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1Wg411f7Mg/

But the new version has races, I want to make a new race and let the new race use the faces I made

Last edited:
KingofTheNorth created these custom race templates for e1.8.0 https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/4099 With v1.0.0 Taleworlds changed monsters.xml adding a lot of ragdoll_bone_to_check_for_corpses lines. So, make your changes on the v1.0.0 monsters.xml rather than using KingofTheNorth's monsters.xml template.

To get troops to wear set faces you need to edit sandboxcore_bodyproperties.xml to ensure the 128 hex digit face/body keys used for BodyPropertiesMin and BodyPropertiesMax set a range (for random faces) appropriate to your race. Skin colour is controlled by the third and fourth hex digits of the key. Eye colour is controlled by the fifth and sixth digits. To keep them constant they just need to be set to the same value in the min and max keys.

To check what controls any feature, copy the current face code from the character generator (Control C) and paste it elsewhere. Then, change only the feature you are interested in copy and paste it outside and compare the two 128 digit keys. The difference indicates which digits are active for that feature. That comparison is a pain unless you set it up in a spreadsheet/program that breaks each code down to its separate digits and does the comparison automatically.

Here's the excel spreadsheet I use: https://www.mediafire.com/file/epmu6qzhqjjpqup/face_code_ranges.xlsx/file

Upvote 0
KingofTheNorth created these custom race templates for e1.8.0 https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/4099 With v1.0.0 Taleworlds changed monsters.xml adding a lot of ragdoll_bone_to_check_for_corpses lines. So, make your changes on the v1.0.0 monsters.xml rather than using KingofTheNorth's monsters.xml template.

To get troops to wear set faces you need to edit sandboxcore_bodyproperties.xml to ensure the 128 hex digit face/body keys used for BodyPropertiesMin and BodyPropertiesMax set a range (for random faces) appropriate to your race. Skin colour is controlled by the third and fourth hex digits of the key. Eye colour is controlled by the fifth and sixth digits. To keep them constant they just need to be set to the same value in the min and max keys.

To check what controls any feature, copy the current face code from the character generator (Control C) and paste it elsewhere. Then, change only the feature you are interested in copy and paste it outside and compare the two 128 digit keys. The difference indicates which digits are active for that feature. That comparison is a pain unless you set it up in a spreadsheet/program that breaks each code down to its separate digits and does the comparison automatically.

Here's the excel spreadsheet I use: https://www.mediafire.com/file/epmu6qzhqjjpqup/face_code_ranges.xlsx/file
Thank you NPC99 !
This Mod is very helpful.

The second question is probably not use the right word (maybe some spelling mistakes... I use Google translation).

I'm changing the model of the original. For example, I make a new model of "zombies", and then I create a new race called "Zombies". Next, I made the race look like zombies.

I investigated at it again yesterday, and now the problem is slightly changed. I hope you can take a look at the current problem, thank you :

I found a way to replace the original model with Tag in v1.0.0. I just need to use the same Tag as the original and I can use the new model.
QQ-20221102171724.jpg

(This image is the Modding Tool for v1.0.0.
This eyes of the Tag, use exactly the same as the original. My new eyeball model will take effect in the game. The original one was replaced.)

But it's not quite in line with our actual needs... I hope there are both humans and zombies in the game, the appearance of humans is the original, and the appearance of zombies is our new art (look). Isn't it?

The way it works now is that my new model replaces the original by adding the same Tag as the original. The original human race look is gone...

Thank you for sharing the information. Looking forward to your reply!

Upvote 0
I've not used Tags, but doubt they will be suitable. AFAIK you just need to set the face_meta_mesh = to the id of your new head model in your zombie race in skins.xml. That way zombies use one head and humans keep their original heads. Obviously, you'll also need new female heads etc.

PS if I'm wrong and you are not using new 3D models, you can set the tattoo frequency for your zombie race to 100% and fix the min and max body properties keys in sandbox body properties xml so all zombies have scars. IMO for really ugly zombies, I'd export all Bannerlord scar textures (using TpacTool) and overlay them in a photo editor to combine multiple scars on the same face (reimport via resource browser) as single scars are far too pretty for zombies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've not used Tags, but doubt they will be suitable. AFAIK you just need to set the face_meta_mesh = to the id of your new head model in your zombie race in skins.xml. That way zombies use one head and humans keep their original heads. Obviously, you'll also need new female heads etc.

PS if I'm wrong and you are not using new 3D models, you can set the tattoo frequency for your zombie race to 100% and fix the min and max body properties keys in sandbox body properties xml so all zombies have scars. IMO for really ugly zombies, I'd export all Bannerlord scar textures (using TpacTool) and overlay them in a photo editor to combine multiple scars on the same face (reimport via resource browser) as single scars are far too pretty for zombies.
You're right! That's what I'm saying, and I'll keep trying to figure it out.

Now that I'm having a meltdown (crashed when I chose new rece... maybe it missing something in my file. Didn't see it directly in dnSpy) , I'm asking a programmer I know for help.

Thank you for your help.

Upvote 0
BTW AFAIK you need to set up races in a separate mod to the mod that uses them. That was the only way I could get mine to work.
Yes, that's exactly what I did. If the test works, I'll incorporate it into my MOD.

And by the way, I found out why! Like that Mod which you send me said, my "Monster" is lowercase. So this file is not being read. I'm a fool.

The artist is exporting his new woman model and may have a new development tomorrow. If successful, I will send you the picture!

Upvote 0
Yes, that's exactly what I did. If the test works, I'll incorporate it into my MOD.

And by the way, I found out why! Like that Mod which you send me said, my "Monster" is lowercase. So this file is not being read. I'm a fool.

The artist is exporting his new woman model and may have a new development tomorrow. If successful, I will send you the picture!
Sounds good. I'd love to see screenshots of your progress. Here's a screenshot of my race of picts. :smile:
-TOtd.jpg

Upvote 0
Sounds good. I'd love to see screenshots of your progress. Here's a screenshot of my race of picts. :smile:
-TOtd.jpg

Cool tattoo!

Now The new face is in the game successfully
QQ-20221104193445.png

I'm having some other problems right now.
The hair is normal when creating a character, but it's not normal after entering a village or fighting. ( disordered, deformation)

Now the already understood problem is:
When I give my face model "lod", it will have Bug. If my face model doesn't have "lod", it doesn't have this Bug.

Upvote 0
Cool tattoo!

Now The new face is in the game successfully
QQ-20221104193445.png

I'm having some other problems right now.
The hair is normal when creating a character, but it's not normal after entering a village or fighting. ( disordered, deformation)

Now the already understood problem is:
When I give my face model "lod", it will have Bug. If my face model doesn't have "lod", it doesn't have this Bug.
Great looking character. :smile:

I’ve not looked at modding hair cards, so, can’t suggest anything on that problem, but will look out for ideas.

The head model incorporates lots of key frames, which control how faces are shaped to match the character face generation settings. Maybe, you have inadvertently disturbed those in your model’s LODs. However, I would have expected them to remain intact, if you created your LODs in Blender with it’s decimate modifier. Again, something else I haven't tried as yet, so, I could be totally wrong.

You might get more accurate answers in the #bl-3d-art channel of Mount & Blade Modding Discord.

Upvote 0
Great looking character. :smile:

I’ve not looked at modding hair cards, so, can’t suggest anything on that problem, but will look out for ideas.

The head model incorporates lots of key frames, which control how faces are shaped to match the character face generation settings. Maybe, you have inadvertently disturbed those in your model’s LODs. However, I would have expected them to remain intact, if you created your LODs in Blender with it’s decimate modifier. Again, something else I haven't tried as yet, so, I could be totally wrong.

You might get more accurate answers in the #bl-3d-art channel of Mount & Blade Modding Discord.
My English is not good and I am not good at using the forum here. So can you send me the Discord link (#bl-3d-art) ? Thanks!

Upvote 0
皮蛋你好,想请教你一个问题,我按照那个模板新添加了种族,在游戏中把主角改为该种族以后,保存游戏退出重新载入游戏,主角种族还会变回默认的人类,只能每次载入游戏后手动修改成自定义的种族,不知道你是否也遇到了这个问题,有没有解决方法:sad:
貌似游戏存档不会记录玩家角色的自定义种族信息,我已经在bug反馈区提交了这个问题:https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...-then-loading-back-up-a-savegame-file.455569/

Upvote 0
皮蛋你好,想请教你一个问题,我按照那个模板新添加了种族,在游戏中把主角改为该种族以后,保存游戏退出重新载入游戏,主角种族还会变回默认的人类,只能每次载入游戏后手动修改成自定义的种族,不知道你是否也遇到了这个问题,有没有解决方法:sad:
貌似游戏存档不会记录玩家角色的自定义种族信息,我已经在bug反馈区提交了这个问题:https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...-then-loading-back-up-a-savegame-file.455569/
I've not tried to give the player a different race, but I saw comments on discord about non-human players reverting to human.
The Old Realms mod appear to have tackled this by recoding Character Creation. They add an attribute VampireBodyOverride as you can see in their github
You'd need to investigate their source code it detail to understand how it works. I haven't learnt C# yet.

Upvote 0
I've not tried to give the player a different race, but I saw comments on discord about non-human players reverting to human.
The Old Realms mod appear to have tackled this by recoding Character Creation. They add an attribute VampireBodyOverride as you can see in their github
You'd need to investigate their source code it detail to understand how it works. I haven't learnt C# yet.
Thanks for your answer! I will try to investigate the source code. But I prefer that the game develper could fix that issue so that we can custom our race easier:sad:

Upvote 0
I also constantly modify everything myself, create new codes! Your tips are invaluable, otherwise I would have been sitting and changing the code itself for so long!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello, bro, there is a error: meshes that will have gpu mrophs must be regitered to the system beforehand. Do you know how to solve it

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom