How to copy items from one mod to the other (Tutorial)

Users who are viewing this thread

The glorious days of the Unofficial Editor are over, and all of us who don’t know **** about modding are crying, because we can no longer ruin the carefully planned balance of mods with our overpowered, underpriced, and overall gameplay ruiners, custom items, but fear not recruit! for I shall teach how to add new items using just the humble text editor and the handy BRFeditor!, it may look hard, but its really easy once you get a hold of it (oh, and just so you know, I have given up cohesion for the sake of clarity, so don’t get mad if you see the same sentence reapeated over and over again)

Step 1: Using the brfeditor, browse the meshes in the resource folder of the mod you choose, till you find the mesh of the item that caught your eye, you must check not only its name, but also its material.  NOTE: If you want the hard, but efficient way, that will take less resources from your computer, go to Step 2, if you want the “I HAVE THE SUPER COMPUTZXXORS!” way go to Step 1a.

Step 1a: Copy the brf file that holds the mesh to the resource folder of the mod you are adding  items to, do the same with the brfs that hold materials and textures, and of course, copy the required texture files from one texture folder to the other, now open the module.ini file, and add:
load_mod_resource = xxxxxxx , where xxx is the name of the brf file you just copied, do this for each brf file you copied, for ex:
load_mod_resource = super_armors
load_mod_resource = armors_materials
load_mod_resource = armors_texture_names , now got to Step 5.

Step 2: Now open a new window of brfeditor (we will call this new file “extra_stuff.brf”). Select import, choose the brf file that holds the mesh you want, select the mesh and import it, check the materials tab to see if the material is there, import it as well, also check the textures tab to see if the texture is there, import it as well (should have the same name as the material, but with a .dds extension). If the material and/or texture isnt there follow Step2a

Step 2a: If the material and texture arent in the same file, check the other brf files in the resource folder, your are looking for files with “materials” and textures” in their names, browse trough them till you find the mats and texts your item needs. Import them to “extra_stuff.brf”

Step 3: The extra_stuff.brf file is now ready, save it and move it to the resource folder of the mod you are adding items to, also copy the texture file from the texture folder to the texture folder of the mod you are adding items to (for ex: costumes10.dds).

Step 4: Open the module.ini file and add the following:
load_mod_resource = extra_stuff  , save.

Step 5: Now open the file “item_kinds1.txt” of the mod you took the item from, search for the mesh name (for ex: chainmail_c), you should see something like this:

itm_chainmail Chainmail Chainmail 1  chainmail_c 0  16842765 9223372036854775808 1000 164004 16.000000 100 0 20 6 7 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Copy that.

Step 6: Finally open the file “item_kinds1.txt” of the mod you want to add the item to, and paste what you copied in the bottom, make sure to keep the space before “itm_chainmail”, like this:

itm_sipahi_helmet_a Sipahi_Helmet Sipahi_Helmet 1  sipahi_helmet_a 0  12 0 278 126976 2.000000 100 10 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

itm_shahi Shahi Shahi 1  shahi 0  12 0 278 126976 2.000000 100 10 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

itm_chainmail Chainmail Chainmail 1  chainmail_c 0  16842765 9223372036854775808 1000 164004 16.000000 100 0 20 6 7 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Now go to the top of the file and you should see a number:

itemsfile version 2

Add the numbers of items you copied, in the case of this tutorial 1, so:

itemsfile version 2

And thats it!
Keep in mind the item must be buyable in the original mod in order for you to find it in stores in the new mod, so if you copy a super-duper item that is not merchandise and only dark knights have, you wont find it in stores in the new mod either! You have to edit them to make them merchandise, but im tired now.

Nice job. When I need to know, I will read it, and maybe use it. This may just help keep down the questions from noobs (yeah right).

I have done it plenty of times, i even added ALL items from the original dukes & mercs to Band of Warriors, its just copy and paste (but make a backup of the files, just in case)

I hope you're only doing that for your own use. If you would like to release a mod with items from other mods to the public, you must ask for permission from the original creators.

Hallequin said:
I hope you're only doing that for your own use. If you would like to release a mod with items from other mods to the public, you must ask for permission from the original creators.

Yeah, i know.

phbbbt107 said:
And shouldn't this be moved to the modding forums?

I dont think recruits check the modding forums that much, and they are usually the ones asking for new items in mods.

Hi, i just read this post and i have a question. how do you  edit them to make them merchandise? sorry i am a newbie for modding, please help me with this problem, thanks in advance

Well, for example, here is the code of the "strange armor" (not merchandise):

itm_strange_armor Strange_Armor Strange_Armor 1  samurai_armor 0  16777229 0 1259 164004 18.000000 100 0 25 11 7 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Now, you must change that to:

itm_strange_armor Strange_Armor Strange_Armor 1  samurai_armor 0  16842765 0 1259 164004 18.000000 100 0 25 11 7 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

In other words, there is a code, usually next to the final mesh name (in this case strange armor uses only one mesh, but other items use more, for example, for a blade and its scabbard) that sets the item as merchandise:

Armors: 16842765
Helmets: 65548
One handed: 4259842
Two handed: 6356995

And so on.

Edit: Also:
itm_strange_armor Strange_Armor Strange_Armor 1  samurai_armor 0  16842765 0 1259 164004 18.000000 100 0 25 11 7 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Dont remove the zero, or any number right after the mesh.

ehhh... i still dunno how you get 16842765 for strang_aromor or strange_sword. but thanks for the advise man, you really helped alot and make this game for fun  :grin:

No problem  :smile:

Btw. The code for strange_sword (or any other weapon that is a one handed/two handed) is 4259843.
like this:

itm_strange_sword Strange_Sword Strange_Sword 2  katana 0  katana_scabbard 3458764513820540928  4259843 9223635962888716543 679 532 2.000000 100 0 0 0 9 32768 108 0 94 0 274 32

hey man :<, sorry to keep bothering you, but i need to know how to transfer troops from mod to mod. Is it almost the same as item transfer? please help me when you have time, thanks again bro!

I managed to copy the mercenary troop tree from dukes and mercs to band of warriors (i even posted some pics in the screenshots tread) , but its a HUGE pain in the ass, transfering the stats its easy, but then you have to link the upgrade slots, and once you have that, you have to figure out the number code of EACH FU%&%%&NG ITEM you want them to have!, i tried it because i was on vacation, and took me a whole day to figure out, believe me, its not worth it.

haha ok man yea i figure taht might not be easy for me either heh. thanks again man, right now i am playing aslow mod and i equip all samurai set just for the look  :smile:. once again thanks so much for the help dude, dunno how to repay you!

hi its me again! i have a question that i remember before i was playing M&B and whenever archer shoots me and i can see an arrow stick on me, but i dunno what happen and all of the sudden i dont see any arrow on me anymore. Do you know whats the problem? thanks man :wink:

Well the same happens to me sometimes, dont know if its a bug, or if its supposed to work like that, it doesnt cause any problems with the gameplay tough, so i tend to ignore it.

D'Sparil said:
Hallequin said:

Yeah, i know.

I hereby bless thee with permission to release your version of Band of Warriors. Just make sure the credits list is intact and you might want to note that it's an unofficial variant to prevent confusion :wink:

BTW BoW source is now available.

Which one?? Are you trying to make a mod? Edit an existing mod? Edit Native?
The module.ini file for a particular mod is in the Mount&Blade\Modules\WHATEVERMOD\ folder.
I.e. for a mod called Less_Armour, the module.ini file can be found in C:\Program Files\Mount&Blade\Modules\Less_Armour\module.ini (presuming you installed M&B to C:\Program Files\).

Back
Top Bottom