How to conquer the first castle? With your own force?

Users who are viewing this thread

So I try to conquer my first castle and declare myself a kingdom.
I have 200+ party, plus 3 other parties with 300+ soldiers, so total 600+ force strength, should be able to conquer a castle, right?

BUT, when I attack one random Aserai party and declare war on Aserai,
I found out that I can't lead an army, since I didn't create a kingdom
but I have to conquer castle and declare kingdom , to be able to lead an army

Oh come on, you got to be kidding me??

why I can't just lead my own army??? I have 3 parties , they are all mine forces

Then how are you guys conquer your first castle??? with only 200+ forces??

Amass a ton load of denars to cover your expenses and gather a single 200 men party consisted of only Tier 6 troops. You can easily level up your soldiers by fighting smaller enemy parties and you won't really get bothered by the financial burden of 150+ maxed up elite soldiers if you have at least 350k denars or more. It might sound too try-hard but its like a walk in the park if you can swiftly besiege a castle, conquer it and get ready for paying some tribute in the name of peace until you get your stuff together. It works for me

It really helps if your victim is at war with another kingdom too, especially when you conquer the castle and try to make truce with your enemies so your fresh kingdom does not born dead

Amass a ton load of denars to cover your expenses and gather a single 200 men party consisted of only Tier 6 troops. You can easily level up your soldiers by fighting smaller enemy parties and you won't really get bothered by the financial burden of 150+ maxed up elite soldiers if you have at least 350k denars or more. It might sound too try-hard but its like a walk in the park if you can swiftly besiege a castle, conquer it and get ready for paying some tribute in the name of peace until you get your stuff together. It works for me

It really helps if your victim is at war with another kingdom too, especially when you conquer the castle and try to make truce with your enemies so your fresh kingdom does not born dead
in the old Warband, yes you are able to use elite force 200+ and siege 500+ city or castle
I can just line up my archers under wall and shoot and kill all the enemy before I attack wall

BUT , in bannerlord it's so much difficult now
I have all the elite force 200+ but i can't defeat 300+ castles,
I have 4 parties with 600+ forces, why I can't gather army and attack castle??

Banerlord just have stupid logic

Because when you're not a kingdom, you can pay to make peace. And you can make lots of money by smithing 2 handers. Moreover, if you're not a kingdom, no faction declares war on you. Therefore Taleworlds, as usual, blocks your way to cheesy world domination instead of fixing the broken mechanics of the game.

Because when you're not a kingdom, you can pay to make peace. And you can make lots of money by smithing 2 handers. Moreover, if you're not a kingdom, no faction declares war on you. Therefore Taleworlds, as usual, blocks your way to cheesy world domination instead of fixing the broken mechanics of the game.
so how can I conquer a castle??? there's almost impossible to conquer with my own party 200+ forces, without my 3 other parties to help

the only possible way is conquer a very weak castle that just got taken, once taken by other kingdom, usually it's very weak , only have 50+ forces

or wait for rebellion castle

But it seems so silly that I have to cheat, create my own kingdom, then form an army to take a castle.

Join a faction, they'll reward pretty much everything conquered to you for a while. Then you can betray them and keep your holdings.
Or target a recently conquered town/castle which is far away from conqueror's mainlands.
Easiest way is conquering a town that rebelled though, because theorically you can starve them out. Their patrols will be weaker than yours.

Join a faction, they'll reward pretty much everything conquered to you for a while. Then you can betray them and keep your holdings.
Or target a recently conquered town/castle which is far away from conqueror's mainlands.
Easiest way is conquering a town that rebelled though, because theorically you can starve them out. Their patrols will be weaker than yours.
Thank you for reply , I already done that in my last few games

I just want try something different in this game, be my own independent forces, conquer a castle
well , apperently TW still not figure out this part yet

It shouldn't be like this:
Conquer a castle ==> declare kingdom ==> then you can form an army

but how can I conquer a castle without forming an army??

very disappointed on TW

in the old Warband, yes you are able to use elite force 200+ and siege 500+ city or castle
I can just line up my archers under wall and shoot and kill all the enemy before I attack wall

BUT , in bannerlord it's so much difficult now
I have all the elite force 200+ but i can't defeat 300+ castles,

Banerlord just have stupid logic
You can always wear down the defence by having an engineer character in your party using siege engines and killing defending troops or just simply making them run out of food by sieging a castle occasionaly. You can try these methods without any risks, its not like AI is smart enough to reinforce a castle under threat anyway

I feel like we've had this discussion here before. Here's an Un edited video of the entire process of taking my first town in a recent game. I did this as soon as I got rank 4, no dilly dally, no sand bagging.

In addition, it help to focus on fighting the faction you want to take fiefs from for your kingdom, as soon as you can defeat their parties, this means not depending on merc contracts or being a vasal, just hunt them down all day evey day until you're rank 4 then kick in the door and take a fief.

I feel like we've had this discussion here before. Here's an Un edited video of the entire process of taking my first town in a recent game. I did this as soon as I got rank 4, no dilly dally, no sand bagging.

In addition, it help to focus on fighting the faction you want to take fiefs from for your kingdom, as soon as you can defeat their parties, this means not depending on merc contracts or being a vasal, just hunt them down all day evey day until you're rank 4 then kick in the door and take a fief.

thank you for your post
so basically your siege trick is to you , by yourself, wait for them to come out, and horse archer butcher enemy infantry ???
that's it?? I wonder if catapult would fire at you???

sounds great trick, but it just very time consuming, is there any other better way??

thanks again

thank you for your post
so basically your siege trick is to you , by yourself, wait for them to come out, and horse archer butcher enemy infantry ???
that's it?? I wonder if catapult would fire at you???

sounds great trick, but it just very time consuming, is there any other better way??

thanks again
They won't fire ballista at you when the infantry is close to you (usually) that's why I get behind the rock and wait. It can be very time consuming, but the more time intensive part is going into the town and snipers archers. Just killing the infantry will make a normal siege easier though because you ranged units can easily shoot other ranged units off the walls, but the thing to watch out for is can you put them close enough where the ballista can't shoot them? If they can, they can easily shoot down the archers who are forced to g o to the ladders (cuz no infantry), but if the ballista can hit them everywhere, you'll take heavy losses so it's better to charge them up right away. Every map type is different so you have to try and see. The other option is to build 4 trebs putting them into reserve as they are built and pulling them all out at once to destroy the enemy siege weapons and then the walls. The down side is as you build more armies will come to fight you and you may lose some troops during the siege weapons exchanges too. Getting rid of just the trebs (but not the walls) then killing the infantry solo, then doing normal siege and shooting the archers with ranged in front of ladders is good too.

They won't fire ballista at you when the infantry is close to you (usually) that's why I get behind the rock and wait. It can be very time consuming, but the more time intensive part is going into the town and snipers archers. Just killing the infantry will make a normal siege easier though because you ranged units can easily shoot other ranged units off the walls, but the thing to watch out for is can you put them close enough where the ballista can't shoot them? If they can, they can easily shoot down the archers who are forced to g o to the ladders (cuz no infantry), but if the ballista can hit them everywhere, you'll take heavy losses so it's better to charge them up right away. Every map type is different so you have to try and see. The other option is to build 4 trebs putting them into reserve as they are built and pulling them all out at once to destroy the enemy siege weapons and then the walls. The down side is as you build more armies will come to fight you and you may lose some troops during the siege weapons exchanges too. Getting rid of just the trebs (but not the walls) then killing the infantry solo, then doing normal siege and shooting the archers with ranged in front of ladders is good too.
thank you for your information

I just try once with your horse archer method,
siege the castle, retreat troop, wait for enemy come up, horse archer them
but Aserai infantry have throwing weapons, so I got shot down very quick

Now I give up, I think the only way is wait for other kingdom conquer a castle, then I go take it while it's the weakest

it's very stupid setting for TW to set up stupid rule like that
Why I can't form an army with my brother/wife party?
To form an army, you need to be in a kingdom
to declare a kingdom, you need a castle/town
to conquer a castle/town, you need an army

well how am I supposed to take a castle without forming an army????

I just try once with your horse archer method,
siege the castle, retreat troop, wait for enemy come up, horse archer them
but Aserai infantry have throwing weapons, so I got shot down very quick
You tried ONCE? Try until you learn to dodge their javelins! Giving up is not acceptable for a self made ruler! Even if you take a fief and make a kingdom you're going to have defeat armies over and over and over with minimal losses and keep taking more fiefs at the same time to get the faction of the ground at all! Here you need Gundam motivation!

Also aserai is the worst faction to fight and a difficult location to start a faction. Ohdok or Ostican are good place to start IME.

You tried ONCE? Try until you learn to dodge their javelins! Giving up is not acceptable for a self made ruler! Even if you take a fief and make a kingdom you're going to have defeat armies over and over and over with minimal losses and keep taking more fiefs at the same time to get the faction of the ground at all! Here you need Gundam motivation!

Also aserai is the worst faction to fight and a difficult location to start a faction. Ohdok or Ostican are good place to start IME.

hahah thanks for the motivation
yeah I have tried all other factions in early games, so Aserai is going to be a challenge one

yeah I guess I have to level up my horse archer skills before I can conquering castle with this trick

I found it (taking a town) pretty easy, to be honest - wait for rebels, then wait for reconquer and take that town for yourself with 200-300 troops, then pay for peace, do not establish a kingdom yet, just chill...

Best tactic is Ananda's tactic. You will not sacrifice much troop with that. But if you want more speed, well then some sacrifices needed.

Take visual note of your targeted castle map, take note of the enemy troop composition, then exercise in custom battle.

Four enemy catapult. Later, four ballista, later, none of them. Full fiann or kg for yourself. Park them near the wall. Let them shoot. Then attack with ladders.

For max damage you need fiann or kg but you can also try practicing with armored-nice big shield carrying melee unit.

----------------------------

When you entering the Calradia's political arena, then AI thinking you as an political threat, then they can start wars against you first, and then you can finally form an army.

They don't care your total troop number or your total settlement number. They only care if you're entering their political claimage arena or not.

With army forming feature, you can field thousand plus strong armies. Since AI can't target you first -if you're not a kingdom or etc., TW doesn't let players to do that.

I have mixed feelings on this solution. I understand the problem, but the solution maybe should be a different approach or mixture of other approaches.

Which i can't come up with those other possible solutions to the TW right now...

Last edited:
Best tactic is Ananda's tactic. You will not sacrifice much troop with that. But if you want more speed, well then some sacrifices needed.

Take visual note of your targeted castle map, take note of the enemy troop composition, then exercise in custom battle.

Four enemy catapult. Later, four ballista, later, none of them. Full fiann or kg for yourself. Park them near the wall. Let them shoot. Then attack with ladders.

For max damage you need fiann or kg but you can also try practicing with armored-nice big shield carrying melee unit.

----------------------------

When you entering the Calradia's political arena, then AI thinking you as an political threat, then they can start wars against you first, and then you can finally form an army.

They don't care your total troop number or your total settlement number. They only care if you're entering their political claimage arena or not.

With army forming feature, you can field thousand plus strong armies. Since AI can't target you first -if you're not a kingdom or etc., TW doesn't let players to do that.

I have mixed feelings on this solution. I understand the problem, but the solution maybe should be a different approach or mixture of other approaches.

Which i can't come up with those other possible solutions to the TW right now...
Thank you for your feedback, but I have lot's of questions

1. What's Ananda's tatic?? why sacrifice troops?? what do you mean??

2. what is Calradia's political arena?? is there any specific phrase/any specific event that would trigger you as "political threat"??
what is political claimage arena??

3. so your strategy is just line up elite archers on enemy walls, shoot arrows and kill as much as possible??

I found it (taking a town) pretty easy, to be honest - wait for rebels, then wait for reconquer and take that town for yourself with 200-300 troops, then pay for peace, do not establish a kingdom yet, just chill...
yeah I am thinking about the same thing,

there's only a few ways to take castle/town

1. join a kingdom, form army, take castles/town, then betray that kingdom, keep castles/town

2. attack a weak castle that right after enemy just conquer it

3. attack rebel castle

Thank you for your feedback, but I have lot's of questions

1. What's Ananda's tatic?? why sacrifice troops?? what do you mean??

2. what is Calradia's political arena?? is there any specific phrase/any specific event that would trigger you as "political threat"??
what is political claimage arena??

3. so your strategy is just line up elite archers on enemy walls, shoot arrows and kill as much as possible??

No problem, sorry for my broken wordings.

1- The one you tried it and complained about the time consumage etc.

Without big numbers, your only hope is a) Ananda's solo horse archery tactic and b) pelting the walls with elite archers in close range, then attacking with those archers via ladders. The mentioned units (fiann champion and khans guard) are also good melee fighters - so they can conduct good melee performance on walls etc.

But since you have small numbers, even if you win that siege, you will suffer in that siege. I used "sacrifice" phrase for this hypothetic situation.

2- Oh that's just me, nevermind. :iamamoron:

The AI can't target you if you're not attacked them first. But this only applies if you're not a kingdom ruler or part of an another kingdom or being a mercenary etc. With stepping up for establishing your kingdom, you are entering their world of geopolitical arena.

What i meaned, factions can't attack you first. With this dilemma, army forming is becoming more powerfull tool against them. I understand this dilemma, but couldn't accept as the only proper solution. It's not dumb or that, but it's also not fitting much properly..

3- Take a look at message #11's last part.

---------------------------

But if you're not picky about which settlement you owned, when you recieved and from whom gived,

the one you expreinced before -which also multiple times advised solution was the easiest one...

Last edited:
No problem, sorry for my broken wordings.

1- The one you tried it and complained about the time consumage etc.

Without big numbers, your only hope is a) Ananda's solo horse archery tactic and b) pelting the walls with elite archers in close range, then attacking with those archers via ladders. The mentioned units (fiann champion and khans guard) are also good melee fighters - so they can conduct good melee performance on walls etc.

But since you have small numbers, even if you win that siege, you will suffer in that siege. I used "sacrifice" phrase for this hypothetic situation.

2- Oh that's just me, nevermind. :iamamoron:

The AI can't target you if you're not attacked them first. But this only applies if you're not a kingdom ruler or part of an another kingdom or being a mercenary etc. With stepping up for establishing your kingdom, you are entering their world of geopolitical arena.

What i meaned, factions can't attack you first. With this dilemma, army forming is becoming more powerfull tool against them. I understand this dilemma, but couldn't accept as the only proper solution. It's not dumb or that, but it's also not fitting much properly..

3- Take a look at message #11's last part.

---------------------------

But if you're not picky about which settlement you owned, when you recieved and from whom gived,

the one you expreinced before -which also multiple times advised solution was the easiest one...
thank you for reply, now I understand it better.
I really appreciated your feedback

Last night I join West Empire as mercenary, then when WE send a 600+ army to conquer a Aserai castle, I immediately leave kingdom, then attack the WE army, with only 100+ left, I beat the army, then attack castles

because the castle just got conquered, so it actually doesn't have any garrison( the army didn't entry the castle to drop off garrison) , so yeah I basically took the castle with 0 garrison

now I finally have my first castle hahahaha, now create a kingdom, and form an army, seek peace, then I have time to develop army

thanks again

Back
Top Bottom