How to command my soldiers when siege?

Users who are viewing this thread

Even after press F6 to turn off the delegate , my shield-infantry and archers are just mixed by computer and some idiots just can not stopping to use ladders and be killed very soon.

That bothers me too but in attacking sieges it seems there is no point commanding your troops other than make it worse. They are gonna do what they see fit and it's fine to a degree if you have superiority. You could maybe lessen the losts if you could command but it is what it is.

Don't know about defending sieges.

The ai will automatically rush to setup ladders/fire siege equipment and start pushing any towers/rams you have. It seems this cannot be stopped currently, that is however how a siege is supposed to go... realistically you wouldn't just stand around firing arrows into a castle because they have the advantage of having cover and the high ground. Lives will inevitably be lost charging the gates, do what you can with the rest of your soldiers to give them some cover or draw their fire.

I've just given up even trying... just let your men do their thing... Most important thing you can do is -not- join the fight... if you die your men tend to become useless cannon fodder.. so find some cover, cross your fingers and go do something else for 10 mins

I've just given up even trying... just let your men do their thing... Most important thing you can do is -not- join the fight... if you die your men tend to become useless cannon fodder.. so find some cover, cross your fingers and go do something else for 10 mins
You can do a lot as an archer. When a siege tower lowers it's bridge, you can pick off a lot of enemies on it if you stand on the ground close to the wall.

Consider this a guide. Kind of cheesing though. What I do is press F7 to call everyone to retreat, and immediately after that call everyone to stand at a point not too far or too close to the enemy. You need to do this several rounds until your soldiers stop rushing to the ladders. After everyone behave themselves, I will go to the barricades and start shooting the enemy archers. Do not let all your men retreat, leave some of them at a reasonable distance so that the enemy archers would have some difficult targets otherwise they will focus on you. After you deal with the enemy archers, set up the ladders. Enemy infantry will come to disable them one by one, and you can just shoot them one by one. Easy. You may need to leave the battle and reenter several times. Using this method, and you will conquer every minor settlement on the map with minimal casualties.

For large cities that have more 500 garrison and militia, you need a reasonably small elite force, so that they will sally out and fight you on the battlefield. That would be much easier if you know how to deal with their archers which usually comprised half of their forces. The easy way is like this: you charge to the enemy force which is definitely moving towards you, and focus on the archers. They will not shoot you when you are close. Instead, they will move around you. So you could simply slash them down easy, it's like hunting bisons. After your archers and cavs deal with their infantry, your cavs can join your hunt. You would need to leave the battle and reenter if your force cannot take out the enemy infantry in one go.

If you turn off AI command for one of your units but then merge them with another unit that is still being controlled by the AI, they will immediately split up again and you're back where you started.

Start by assuming command of all your units before you order any of them to merge/split up.

This won't stop the 10 or so units that will always try to man the siege equipment,but you will have direct control over the rest.

Also you use the left mouse button to order units to "use" stuff (like siege towers, destroy a gate, catapult etc.).

Don't know about defending sieges.
its worse :C
they also run about do whatever . including leaving thier wall to defend another wall also including climbing down the siege ladder making themselves sitting ducks to enemy under them that can slash at them ( but they cant attack downwards )

Back
Top Bottom