How to change Loading Screens,Menu,HUD...

Users who are viewing this thread

ZektorSK

Regular
Hello There !

Currently making my mod and wanted to ask, how do I change Loading screens, Main Menu, HUD, banners, and so on

ZektorSK said:
Hello There !

Currently making my mod and wanted to ask, how do I change Loading screens, Main Menu, HUD, banners, and so on

Those are all standard textured 3D meshes. They are just flat and fit in an 1x1 unit square.

They are hardcoded, meaning that you can only override them with your own but you cannot change their 'instanced' position, where are they used and... name.
Search for
Code:
interface.brf
and
Code:
core_*.brf
in CommonRes. If you copy them to your Module's Resource folder the game will use those instead of the common ones.

Swyter said:
ZektorSK said:
Hello There !

Those are all standard textured 3D meshes. They are just flat and fit in an 1x1 unit square.

They are hardcoded, meaning that you can only override them with your own but you cannot change their 'instanced' position, where are they used and... name.
Search for
Code:
interface.brf
and
Code:
core_*.brf
in CommonRes. If you copy them to your Module's Resource folder the game will use those instead of the common ones.

Thank you :smile:

There is a easy way to change the main menu and load screen, just export the image what you like as dds format, and change the file name to load_screen.dds to display in the loading screen, change the name to main_menu_nord.dds if you want to make your image as a main menu.
After do that, you need to put the dds files to Texture folder in your module directory.

randomcode said:
There is a easy way to change the main menu and load screen, just export the image what you like as dds format, and change the file name to load_screen.dds to display in the loading screen, change the name to main_menu_nord.dds if you want to make your image as a main menu.
After do that, you need to put the dds files to Texture folder in your module directory.

That is the equivalent to reskinning models instead of creating your own. Tends to look cheap and careless. If you have all the needed tool-set why not do it right?
For many years all this overriding was not even possible, so you should take advantage of it now that other modders fought to make the game more moddable.

SenpaiHinds said:
I've seen this come up before; what's the advantage to creating a new mesh over just replacing the texture? The mesh is just a 2 poly plane, maybe there are advantages to making 3D UI meshes but I've never seen anything like that work.

Most UI meshes are composed of various polygons mapped at different UV coordinates. If you take into account the actual UV mapped sections and adapt them to your new design you avoid all the guesswork. Specially with buttons and some elements with otherwise stretched texels —wrong aspect ratio— where reskinning can cause serious misalignments or force duplication. It's not rocket science.

Why create new armors when you can roughly recolor the existing ones? This is the same thing.

You can use a vanilla mesh as reference, no one is telling you to start from scratch, but if you want to make it look good tweaking the model is a no-brainer. Specially when complexity is so low and and makes a world of difference.

I don't know why there's so much resistance with this kind of topic. Things like this or good coding are what separates good mods from bad ones.

I didn't know the coordinates of UI elements could be edited (either that or I just forgot). I assumed you were talking about the main menu and loading screens like the OP was talking about.

Generally if a topic has no tutorials you're unlikely to see any progress in it -- I mean look at presentations. Only a tiny portion of modders do any personal research outside what they can read from tutorials, and for something as tangential and optional as the UI, I doubt most people would even know anything outside "replace the textures".

Swyter said:
randomcode said:

That is the equivalent to reskinning models instead of creating your own. Tends to look cheap and careless. If you have all the needed tool-set why not do it right?
For many years all this overriding was not even possible, so you should take advantage of it now that other modders fought to make the game more moddable.
Yes, you are right. That is why i called this way is "easy", although i never use this way.

Back
Top Bottom